WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
Appreciate comfort access/keyless entry keys being stored in a Faraday box in your home is a good idea but I don't have comfort access. Is it still a good idea to have keys for keyless start in a Faraday box? Thieves can't boost that signal can they? Cheers. Wayne
Sponsored

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Appreciate comfort access/keyless entry keys being stored in a Faraday box in your home is a good idea but I don't have comfort access. Is it still a good idea to have keys for keyless start in a Faraday box? Thieves can't boost that signal can they? Cheers. Wayne
I think you just supposed to store them out of sight / away from front door. Nothing for them to boost.

OP
OP
WRC_1S

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes I thought that but Google search isnt conclusive. Conflicting info. My drive is about 20m from my house and the walls of my house are a approx 1m thick. I'm probs being paranoid.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I suggest getting one to give yourself peace of mind.

While waiting for mine to arrive, I wrapped my key fob in five layers of aluminum foil. I stood next to my RWD and couldn't open anything.

OP
OP
WRC_1S

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah they are cheap as chips on Amazon. I just wondered if the thieves had worked out a way to use some sort of signal boost for keyless start. Seen as I don't have comfort access keyless entry.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I suggest getting one to give yourself peace of mind.

While waiting for mine to arrive, I wrapped my key fob in five layers of aluminum foil. I stood next to my RWD and couldn't open anything.
Did the same thing to my head to keep George Soros and Bill Gates from stealing my best ideas. Has worked so far.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I don't think it's an issue.

I think the new keys only work with movement and are dormant when just sat resting.

I am very security conscious and after posting on here, don't bother with Faraday measures.
Just hide keys from view downstairs (but the car is also visible from our Ring doorbell, which would alert me if anyone was round it at night).

I will dig round for threads where I asked about this previously.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I don't think it's an issue.

I think the new keys only work with movement and are dormant when just sat resting.

I am very security conscious and after posting on here, don't bother with Faraday measures.
Just hide keys from view downstairs (but the car is also visible from our Ring doorbell, which would alert me if anyone was round it at night).

I will dig round for threads where I asked about this previously.
I know the key in the BMW X5 switched of when not moving for a while. To test someone on the forum closed his car and put the key on the floor close to it and returned to the car after a while and couldn’t open it with the door handle. When he picked it up he could.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Found the thread and this is the relevant bit....

It wasn’t all bad news for car makers, though: the BMW X6 and 2 Series Gran Coupe, Land Rover Discovery Sport, MINI Electric, Porsche Taycan, Skoda Superb and Toyota Supra were all judged to offer ‘Superior’ security systems, and all shrugged off relay attacks.

From here.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-n...y-ratings-for-keyless-car-theft-vulnerability
Did seem to be a biased list with Thatcham sponsorship! Especially as BMW is one of the easy makes for the thieves. I think I’ll still keep my keys in a tin and forgo the comfort entry. . .

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Did seem to be a biased list with Thatcham sponsorship! Especially as BMW is one of the easy makes for the thieves. I think I’ll still keep my keys in a tin and forgo the comfort entry. . .
I think Thatcham are pretty independent and it's also who the insurance industry rely on (and fund) for their research.

Porsche Taycan Keyless start Faraday box Screenshot_20220808-063707_Chrome

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You only need to consider this if you can't store your keys at least 2
- 3 meters away from the car ie until the key stops flashing.

It is not an anti-theft measure and more of a key battery drain prevention.

If you have a tracker fob for PVTS+ then keep this separate from your key - car won't get far without it.

OP
OP
WRC_1S

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the responses guys.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Mine are going in one when I’ve got mine. I had my AMG keys in one too and out XC90 keys are in one. Peace of mind and at least I’m doing all I can to stop thieves who target these nice cars.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
My sales guy advised me against it. Not sure if it was Taycan specific, but he'd had a few customers with comfort entry have stuff going missing from the boots of their cars. Didn't mention any cars being pinched though.
Sponsored