bdy0627

First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla Model X, Hyundai Santa Fe
Country flag
I'm trying to figure out what lighting option to go with for a Taycan 4S in the US. Is matrix lighting now functional in the US? If so, it seems like this option is very worth it. If not, maybe not so much. I also don't understand what the standard lighting is like for the 4S. Anyone know what the standard lights are like compared with the matrix option, which is about $2,000? Are standard lights not LED? Or are they LED but not matrix?
Sponsored

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
They are not functional yet, but likely will be in the future given NHTSA approval last month. TBD on whether cars before the approval / change can have functionality activated via software (assuming they have same hardware as EU), or not

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-release...dlights-new-vehicles-improving-safety-drivers

Standard headlights are LED, and if PDLS+ option is ticked do have some adaptive capabilities of being able to swivel and increase range at higher speeds. But do not have the ability to split around cars like the matrix do

Value depends on how much you drive at night in low-light areas. I don't drive a lot at night, and live around the bay area CA where it is generally decently lit and higher speed roads are large highways, so didn't spec it. If in WI you drive on a lot more unlit roads at speed at night on smaller roads with wildlife, I can certainly see it being worth it

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I doubt this will be an OTA change if and when they make it available; given that, it’ll mean Porsche will have to compensate dealers for their time - which could mean no don’t have any incentive to retrofit it FOC. Here is hoping I’m wrong …

Deleted member 6348

Do not buy matrix headlights expecting a future OTA update or dealer update to enable them. While these headlights are now legal in the US, Porsche will have to re-homologate the car with matrix headlights.

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
I spoke to my advisor last week, right after she returned from a Porsche training session where one of the discussions was on the new NHTSA approval and whether they would offer reprogramming. She said they do not intend to offer it.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
First, as mentioned already, the Taycan comes with LED headlights. Also, since you're ordering a 4S, it comes standard with PDLS+ which has the following features:

Adjusts the range of the low beam according to driving speed.

The dynamic cornering light function rotates the main headlights towards the inside of a road’s curve based on the driver’s speed and steering angle.

At speeds higher than about 40 mph, the dynamic main beam will turn on and detect oncoming traffic and vehicles in front of you. The light cone’s intensity and range are adjusted depending on the surroundings.

The cornering lights activate on slow speed turns.

Personally, I think PDLS+ is completely adequate especially since the current matrix LED option isn't yet fully functional and apparently won't be upgradeable. Even if it were fully functional, you'd have to do a LOT of night driving to make it worth the money, IMO.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
I spoke to my advisor last week, right after she returned from a Porsche training session where one of the discussions was on the new NHTSA approval and whether they would offer reprogramming. She said they do not intend to offer it.
I’m sure a good lawyer could band together enough customers to change their mind

OP
OP

bdy0627

First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla Model X, Hyundai Santa Fe
Country flag
Thanks for all the info. Consensus is that the standard 4S PDLS+ lights are good. Seems like a waste of money to select matrix lights at this point for sure.

itsRandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It seems odd that they can’t just turn on the functionality if you already have the headlights installed in the car.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
First, as mentioned already, the Taycan comes with LED headlights. Also, since you're ordering a 4S, it comes standard with PDLS+ which has the following features:

Adjusts the range of the low beam according to driving speed.

The dynamic cornering light function rotates the main headlights towards the inside of a road’s curve based on the driver’s speed and steering angle.

At speeds higher than about 40 mph, the dynamic main beam will turn on and detect oncoming traffic and vehicles in front of you. The light cone’s intensity and range are adjusted depending on the surroundings.

The cornering lights activate on slow speed turns.

Personally, I think PDLS+ is completely adequate especially since the current matrix LED option isn't yet fully functional and apparently won't be upgradeable. Even if it were fully functional, you'd have to do a LOT of night driving to make it worth the money, IMO.
My 2022 CT4 has PDLS+ and I can assure you that the features you outline are not functioning. I had the dealer check the lights & they reported that they were working as they should from what they could tell. If I were ordering again, I would save $ and not include PDLS+.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
My 2022 CT4 has PDLS+ and I can assure you that the features you outline are not functioning. I had the dealer check the lights & they reported that they were working as they should from what they could tell. If I were ordering again, I would save $ and not include PDLS+.
So, first, I'm assuming you ordered PDLS+ as a separate option since it's not standard on the CT4, only the CT4S and above.

The link below is for a retrofit that is available to add PDLS+ LED headlights to an existing vehicle but it does list all of the PDLS+ features and they are consistent with what I posted above. I've also attached a copy of the page from the owner's manual that describes some, but not all, of the PDLS+ features I referenced.

These features all work in my 2021 4S so I can't explain why they aren't functioning in your car. There are associated options in the PCM that need to be activated (see the manual excerpt below) and the AUTO headlight function must be selected for some of the features to operate. Also, when did you get your 2022 CT4? Was it affected by any of the chip shortage issues?

Seems pretty odd that your dealer is apparently trying to tell you that PDLS+ is an expensive option with no working features.

LED headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) (porscheusa.com)

Porsche Taycan LED Matrix Headlights PDLS Plus.JPG

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
So, first, I'm assuming you ordered PDLS+ as a separate option since it's not standard on the CT4, only the CT4S and above.

The link below is for a retrofit that is available to add PDLS+ LED headlights to an existing vehicle but it does list all of the PDLS+ features and they are consistent with what I posted above. I've also attached a copy of the page from the owner's manual that describes some, but not all, of the PDLS+ features I referenced.

These features all work in my 2021 4S so I can't explain why they aren't functioning in your car. There are associated options in the PCM that need to be activated (see the manual excerpt below) and the AUTO headlight function must be selected for some of the features to operate. Also, when did you get your 2022 CT4? Was it affected by any of the chip shortage issues?

Seems pretty odd that your dealer is apparently trying to tell you that PDLS+ is an expensive option with no working features.

LED headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) (porscheusa.com)

PDLS Plus.JPG
Yes my build included $1,970 charge for PDLS+ added to the premium package. I had dynamic corning lights on my 2017 Macan GTS & they worked great. I cannot see that the feature does much of anything on my Taycan which I took delivery of in Nov 2021. Nothing was mentioned re. any chip shortage. My high beam assist feature works fine. Glad all on yours is working fine for you. Would like to hear what other 2022 CT's owners are experiencing with the dynamic corning lights.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I’m sure a good lawyer could band together enough customers to change their mind
On what basis? They never claimed matrix lights worked in this market, nor did they claim that they would if the law changed.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
It seems odd that they can’t just turn on the functionality if you already have the headlights installed in the car.
In theory they may be able to, but in practice depends on two things - regulation and dealer willingness. First, is if the future implementation that will be approved by NHTSA does not require any tweaks to existing hardware due to slightly different regs, and second is if Porsche as a brand is willing to. Given what people have said about PCM version updating and other stuff, I'm more skeptical on the second point