JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here's a weird one: after taking delivery of my 4S about three weeks ago, I read (on this forum!) about the software recall.

Went to the manufacturer website, put in my VIN: "no recall necessary". Phew! No problem!

Then 3 days ago, an urgent email from Porsche Mothership: MANDATORY RECALL. MUST BOOK SERVICE APPOINTMENT!

Dang. So I booked the appointment.

Today, the service manager called me and said "Hey -- no problem, sir! I pulled up your car on the computer and your vehicle is NOT affected!"

I'm relieved, I guess? Kind of a case of right hand / left hand not checking their voicemails. Maybe?
Exact same thing happened to me. Had latest update 4 weeks ago, everything working great. Got recall email, also checked on recall site and confirmed it was showing there as well, set appointment, got call back 30 minutes later saying MY20 not on list anymore. My dealership said that they have done 3 recall updates within an hour and no reported issues. Keeping my appointment for August just in case something changes. Also said they can’t keep loaner cars as they are selling everything they have. Did offer to have someone drive me on any errands during the install.
Sponsored

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Just got back from the dealer after completing my recall update. Took almost exactly 1.5 hours, no issues thus far. Everything is exactly the same including all of my personal settings, favorites, etc.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
No problems. Took the dealer an hour or so. Driven it a couple times today since and no noticeable changes or problems.

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
Update went smoothly, however within just a few miles of driving (on the same day of receiving the car back from Porsche) I lost power on a dual carriage way. Scary.

Now what?

Porsche Taycan Let us know how your recall update (Powertrain Shutdown / Loss of Power) went 62AE4C58-5046-4432-9A53-B0E3688DB680

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Update went smoothly, however within just a few miles of driving (on the same day of receiving the car back from Porsche) I lost power on a dual carriage way. Scary.

Now what?
Uh.... take it back to the dealer.

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
I really hope this is just a case of the dealer not applying the update or not applying it correctly.
The last thing we need is a f'ed up recall.
I took the car back to the dealer (luckily this happened just 5 minutes away from them so I took it straight there), they confirmed the update had been applied correctly.

They are hoping there’s some deeper issue with my vehicle that they might be able to identify tomorrow. I hope so too because, as you say, none of us want an f’ed up recall.

Funnily enough, aside from an all wheel drive error after a launch control once, I hadn’t seen this power loss error many others had been getting prior to the update that was supposed to fix it. ?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I really hope this is just a case of the dealer not applying the update or not applying it correctly.
The last thing we need is a f'ed up recall.
It is hard to imagine how the dealer can mess up this update. They connect PIWIS and select the AutoProgramming function. They don't manually pick versions or anything like that. At the end they manually verify the version of DME and PE are 0014 and 0012 respectively just to confirm that the auto-update succeeded.
Also according to the AMB5 TSB, if they perform an autoprogramming routine in any of the three modles (DME, front PE, rear PE) it will automatically program all three modules so there should be no chance to leave one of them in the wrong version.

This is not like the WMA5/6 update that needs a lot of manual interventions and it has a sequence of update procedures.

Last edited:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
A few options I can think of that happened here:

1. The update was not applied correctly, despite them saying so
2. The update does not fully fix the issue, only partially
3. Your error was caused by a different issue than the one that was patched
4. The patch itself caused a different regression which now introduces a new way to have sudden loss of power

None of which are good.

OP
OP
RehobothTaycan1

RehobothTaycan1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I took the car back to the dealer (luckily this happened just 5 minutes away from them so I took it straight there), they confirmed the update had been applied correctly.

They are hoping there’s some deeper issue with my vehicle that they might be able to identify tomorrow. I hope so too because, as you say, none of us want an f’ed up recall.

Funnily enough, aside from an all wheel drive error after a launch control once, I hadn’t seen this power loss error many others had been getting prior to the update that was supposed to fix it. ?
Thanks for the info - please keep us posted on what they say. I’m scheduled next week for my update.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag

Now what?
so it didn't go smoothly, the update was ineffective.
I hope that this doesn't devolve into issues that keep the car off the road for a long time.

Last edited:

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
A few options I can think of that happened here:

1. The update was not applied correctly, despite them saying so
2. The update does not fully fix the issue, only partially
3. Your error was caused by a different issue than the one that was patched
4. The patch itself caused a different regression which now introduces a new way to have sudden loss of power

None of which are good.
5. The update doesn't fix the issue at all.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Thanks for the info - please keep us posted on what they say. I’m scheduled next week for my update.
a question regarding your region.
do you think that I'd be able to get from the norfolk Va area to the ferry at lewes DE on 1 charge? there seems to be very little DC charging on that route? or should I go around via new castle DE to my final stop in Cape May NJ?
Sponsored