Life's too short...

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Holy shit! Curious minds need to know what sort of audio system you have??
Also what kind of music he listens to?

Listening to symphonies must be a transformative experience, perhaps close to or better than the live performance.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
Waiting for 2 years means another 2 years when you're not driving a Porsche. No brainer.
The things which give me the most pleasure and satisfaction are
1. My family, 4 children and 9 grandchildren, I had no idea when younger how much joy they would be.
2. My sound system(s), I am a music lover and listen to music at home a lot now I have retired.
3. My car(s) I don’t drive as much as I used to so perhaps less important than they were but still fun.

If you can afford it go for it.

FWIW I have never bought a car during my life which cost more than my then current audio system because of hours use per week and depreciation…
Is your home audio system…a Mark Levinson or Burmester?! I used to dabble in high end home audio and had a nice 20k system many years ago but I sold it and ended up with Yamaha which sounds quite nice. But I’d love to know what system you’re using. Thank you for your thoughtful message it was impactful and really nice to read, especially mentioning your children and grandchildren. Those joys, like a Porsche, cannot be explained they must be experienced.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is your home audio system…a Mark Levinson or Burmester?! I used to dabble in high end home audio and had a nice 20k system many years ago but I sold it and ended up with Yamaha which sounds quite nice. But I’d love to know what system you’re using. Thank you for your thoughtful message it was impactful and really nice to read, especially mentioning your children and grandchildren. Those joys, like a Porsche, cannot be explained they must be experienced.
See post by @f1eng at this link. His system is way, way, beyond Mark Levinson or Burmester.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for all the messages so far, I absolutely love and appreciate them, especially the stories about how the Taycan evoked emotion from others that simply got a drive in one. My grandson, while overseas, was telling everyone his papa drives a Porsche. 😊 it was a loaner but yes, that weekend, yes I was!

I will try and catch up to the rest of your replies when I can, hopefully by the weekend. A co-worker took another week’s vacation and this week has been busy to say the least! My (considerable!) thinking about the Porsche had to take a back seat to work.

Btw, we tested a beautiful Volcano Grey Turbo S. The dealer didn’t bother to charge it and it only had 62km “in the tank” so to speak. It wasn’t very snappy but still felt nice…but had snows i the middle of our hot summer. Not a great experience, obviously not a Porsche dealership!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
My system is a mix, as has already been linked.
I have been a music lover since childhood, had a sound system since I built one myself aged 18 and it is my most used posession.
I spent money on sound system and records for years before I bought my first car, and if I had to choose between my car and music my car would be gone.

My interest in cars started (and continued) in racing, being intrigued what made one racing car faster than another. I continued to learn and apply the lessons for 30+ years.

My road car just has to fulfil my requirements.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
My system is a mix, as has already been linked.
I have been a music lover since childhood, had a sound system since I built one myself aged 18 and it is my most used posession.
I spent money on sound system and records for years before I bought my first car, and if I had to choose between my car and music my car would be gone.

My interest in cars started (and continued) in racing, being intrigued what made one racing car faster than another. I continued to learn and apply the lessons for 30+ years.

My road car just has to fulfil my requirements.
Do you have a Burmester system in your Taycan? For me Music is important and a day without listening to music is a day wasted. I’ve no experience of high end sound systems but think the Bose system is pretty good in the Taycan. Heading out in the Taycan and listening to music has already become a bit of a thing I really look forward to!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have a Burmester system in your Taycan? For me Music is important and a day without listening to music is a day wasted. I’ve no experience of high end sound systems but think the Bose system is pretty good in the Taycan. Heading out in the Taycan and listening to music has already become a bit of a thing I really look forward to!
No.
I have wasted a lot of money trying to get good sound in a car in the past but the fundamental problem is that the only positions one can mount the speaker drivers are in the wrong place relative to the listener for accurate sound. DSP can compensate to a large degree nowadays but it is basically polishing a turd.

I do know a guy who took KEF co-axial drivers and made an enclosure for them where the A pillars met the dashboard on a truck, and that was fairly good, but not practical for a car.

In the end I gave up, the laws of physics will not be repealed.

I have the standard system in my car which is adequate, for a car, IMO.
It has a reasonably flat frequency response, judged by speech (good way to evaluate a sound system is how convincing is speech?) The colouration is acceptably low.

The dynamic range of the music I like best is also too great to enjoy in a car IME, the background sound level is too high to hear the quiet bits.

So music in my car is background only, or if passengers want something. I am most likely to listen to a talk documentary or have the sound off when driving.

I listen to music at concerts and at home.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also what kind of music he listens to?

Listening to symphonies must be a transformative experience, perhaps close to or better than the live performance.
I listen to everything from Albinoni to Zappa.

A good system is needed to get anywhere near close to big classical pieces and still nowhere near a good seat live IME.

Yesterday I listened to Brahms 2nd Symphony, a brass band lollyypop disc I love called "World's most beautiful melodies" by The Black Dyke Mills brass band with Philip McCann who makes the most fabulous cornet sound.

I also listened to a record my son recommended, one of his school classmates is in the band.

"Smile" by Skindred, which I enjoyed except one track.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/skindred-announces-new-album-smile

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I've been aware of Kindred for ages and a mate of mine knows one of the members too - after reading your post I just listened to one of the vids on the Blabbermouth link and love it. Better get the album ordered :) thanks for the link @f1eng

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes I’ve got a 14-50 plug I installed for the Porsche to test charging and have something for friends to use if anyone needs to top up.
You’re right it’s probably not an issue. It’s funny when I look at the Electrify Canada maps it looks like the early days of Tesla in 2015. Clutters mid country and at each coast (more on West for sure) but getting there. And just like Tesla longer road trips across the country require a dip down into the states then back up to Canada.

Of the few road tests we’ve done with the Model S plaid, range wasn’t even close to rated, we were only seeing about 400km of range on 99kwh battery which isn’t much different than Taycan. This was pretty easy driving with no full or even 1/2 acceleration runs. Have a look at the 44km trip:

Porsche Taycan Life's too short... IMG_7058

If you can charge at home I don't see a big issue getting the Taycan. Only problem might be if charging points in your area are unreliable for long trips. Model S Plaid goes 60-70km more than the Taycan but the real advantage is the charging network.

A Taycan will make you smile even when you look at it in the garage, haha

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I knew it, and for 2 reasons:

1) in my past, serious audiophiles (sorry if that’s an outdated term now) had ZERO interest in better systems for their cars. A basic factory system was fine

2) of all the used Taycans we’ve looked at, exactly 2 of them had the Burmester, and none had than and the Passenger Display. Heaven forbid you buy a $250k TS and get both of those options, you’d surely break the bank! Kidding aside, the Burmester is sa beautiful system that’s really hard to find. The Bose sounds good, as does the base system, no complaints with either, just nice to have the option if included.

To be honest we don’t focus on the music when driving these cars, the sound of the motors are really nice and the occasional bit of tire noise in a hard corners gets you wondering just how high the car’s limit really is!

No.
I have wasted a lot of money trying to get good sound in a car in the past but the fundamental problem is that the only positions one can mount the speaker drivers are in the wrong place relative to the listener for accurate sound. DSP can compensate to a large degree nowadays but it is basically polishing a turd.

I do know a guy who took KEF co-axial drivers and made an enclosure for them where the A pillars met the dashboard on a truck, and that was fairly good, but not practical for a car.

In the end I gave up, the laws of physics will not be repealed.

I have the standard system in my car which is adequate, for a car, IMO.
It has a reasonably flat frequency response, judged by speech (good way to evaluate a sound system is how convincing is speech?) The colouration is acceptably low.

The dynamic range of the music I like best is also too great to enjoy in a car IME, the background sound level is too high to hear the quiet bits.

So music in my car is background only, or if passengers want something. I am most likely to listen to a talk documentary or have the sound off when driving.

I listen to music at concerts and at home.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this is what I’ve found as well. I didn’t take note of the the Porsche’s numbers, but “felt” better than the number if displayed, if that makes any sense? The newer Model S feels worse than rated, and to be honest I don’t know how one would achieve even close to EPA numbers. This was my little 44km drive in the plaid. Mostly sport and chill mode no plaid mode. According to this I’d only get 400km on a full charge? Not even close to thr 560km rated range with 21”s. About 28% less. Isn’t there a class action lawsuit over this?

Porsche Taycan Life's too short... IMG_7058

I had a P90DL and the Taycan gets much better real world range. I can consistently get "250 miles" where I struggled to get "200 miles" in the Tesla. Tesla over estimates, Porsche underestimates. I put it in quotes because I never actually ran the battery from 100% - 0%, but seeing the efficiency numbers in mi/kwh I can do the math myself. The current Teslas will get about 25% less than what they claim, and the Porche will get rated or higher (going off of EPA numbers).

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know what you’re saying, and yes, I can get a little caught up on tech specs. On the other hand, everything that I love about the Taycan I can’t get on the Tesla. The only solution would be to own both, and I just don’t drive enough to warrant two big electric cars. I found the T’s interface very straightforward, and the Porsche’s a bit cumbersome for some functions like NAV, but comparing something I’ve lived with for almost 8 years versus10 hours total in loaners and test drives, just Isn’t a fair comparison.

You’ve got a beautiful car btw! A carmine red Turbo S? That colour is captivating! What options did you get on yours?

This is what my dealer sent me, it’s also a carmine red TS with very low KM, just getting to prepped to sell. Those brakes!
It’s so expensive, I can’t justify paying the price (can you ever on a Porsche?) but I can’t stop thinking about it!

Porsche Taycan Life's too short... IMG_0014

Porsche Taycan Life's too short... IMG_7059

Porsche Taycan Life's too short... IMG_0021
IMHO, you should go with the Plaid. You’ll never be satisfied with a Taycan given your focus on stats and will always be looking over your shoulder at some higher stat. The Taycan is for driving - a stat that doesn’t come with a number … something only you can take the measure of by how it makes you feel.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I listen to everything from Albinoni to Zappa.
I also listened to a record my son recommended, one of his school classmates is in the band.

"Smile" by Skindred, which I enjoyed except one track.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/skindred-announces-new-album-smile
:clap:
Well well well I wasn't expecting to see you namecheck Zappa and Skindred- I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised about Zappa, given his vast range of material. But Skindred is a sign that you've got far more eclectic tastes (apparently more so than myself) than I'd incorrectly assumed. I suggest trying some Dub War, who morphed in to Skindred mark I, and were a bit rockier.
Sponsored