Life's too short...

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
...to not have experienced a Porsche?! It's what my aunt is saying. She works for a national auction company, she's driven just about everything out there, and says I should "just get a porsche, you'll love it!"

I'm a bit of a tech guy and I'm caught caught up on the 375KM range on a full full charge which is a less than my current EV. I don't think it'll be a problem, but as I've mention in my other thread, it's just a stickling point. Porsche's stance (or lack of one) on the NACS is bothering me as well. Getting "stuck" with the CCS connector with no retrofit to the NACS.

The other thing is the power. I don't need more than the 4S power, but would like the power of the Turbo S, and I'm wondering if it's worth the 30k more, but missing the 2+1 rear seat, and the cool colour of the 4S. The other choice is a used Plaid I found. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but it's a relatively good price, comes with a lot of tech, 580KM range (prob less than that), and it's what I know. It's not a great colour and rides a little rough.

My wife's saying if I don't try the Taycan now, (I'm 59) when will I ever? I'm thinking in 2 years when they refresh the model with more power and range, then I trade the plaid in, which may hold its value better than the 4S or TS? Honestly I'm afraid I'd have trouble selling the Taycan in a couple of years, but if I really like it, I'm sure I'd want to keep it for 5 or so. I don't know. Maybe you guys can play devil's advocate with me and hash it out?
Sponsored

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you can charge at home I don't see a big issue getting the Taycan. Only problem might be if charging points in your area are unreliable for long trips. Model S Plaid goes 60-70km more than the Taycan but the real advantage is the charging network.

A Taycan will make you smile even when you look at it in the garage, haha

fika

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
...to not have experienced a Porsche?! It's what my aunt is saying. She works for a national auction company, she's driven just about everything out there, and says I should "just get a porsche, you'll love it!"

I'm a bit of a tech guy and I'm caught caught up on the 375KM range on a full full charge which is a less than my current EV. I don't think it'll be a problem, but as I've mention in my other thread, it's just a stickling point. Porsche's stance (or lack of one) on the NACS is bothering me as well. Getting "stuck" with the CCS connector with no retrofit to the NACS.

The other thing is the power. I don't need more than the 4S power, but would like the power of the Turbo S, and I'm wondering if it's worth the 30k more, but missing the 2+1 rear seat, and the cool colour of the 4S. The other choice is a used Plaid I found. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but it's a relatively good price, comes with a lot of tech, 580KM range (prob less than that), and it's what I know. It's not a great colour and rides a little rough.

My wife's saying if I don't try the Taycan now, (I'm 59) when will I ever? I'm thinking in 2 years when they refresh the model with more power and range, then I trade the plaid in, which may hold its value better than the 4S or TS? Honestly I'm afraid I'd have trouble selling the Taycan in a couple of years, but if I really like it, I'm sure I'd want to keep it for 5 or so. I don't know. Maybe you guys can play devil's advocate with me and hash it out?
I had a P90DL and the Taycan gets much better real world range. I can consistently get "250 miles" where I struggled to get "200 miles" in the Tesla. Tesla over estimates, Porsche underestimates. I put it in quotes because I never actually ran the battery from 100% - 0%, but seeing the efficiency numbers in mi/kwh I can do the math myself. The current Teslas will get about 25% less than what they claim, and the Porche will get rated or higher (going off of EPA numbers).

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag

Enjoy “the good life” while you can and get the Taycan. It’s an easy call, if the goal is driving enjoyment. If you are trying to be practical with the expenditure of $, then look elsewhere.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

You’ve got some smart women in your life, so listen to them and get the Porsche Taycan 4S. That’s what I’ve got and I’ve never felt a nanosecond of regret. It’s plenty fast and the range is actually more than my previous car, a Tesla Model S 85D, which under the best of circumstances got only about 260 miles of range. My Taycan on the other gets about 275 - 300 if I’m not going ape-shit and driving it in full Porsche fun mode.

Jagu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S
Country flag
Life is too short for mediocrity if you don’t have to deal with it. Buy the best Taycan that you can afford now and enjoy it without thinking about jumping from car to car. The Tesla is not an enjoyable car to drive but it has a slightly better range which does not make it better than the Taycan if you charge at home or have some reliable EA chargers close to you.
Hint: Buy a loaded 4s with performance package and a 3 year Cpo coverage and drive it for every purpose. You’re just 5 years older than me and I’m enjoying my Taycan like a little kid.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
“You may delay, but time will not.”—Benjamin Franklin

When I look at my mom, her body old and frail, unable to walk far or stand up straight, and every normal task is a hurdle, and the only thing she wants in life is for her pain to go away, you see that soon it’ll likely be you. You can’t stop time.

So look at it as an investment in you, if you really want it, like I wanted this car, then just enjoy it, drive it like it should and don’t baby it, and forget about what’s down the road. Because today you can, tomorrow you may not.

With that said, lots of good deals around.
I picked up a like new 1 year old Turbo S for a bargain last year, with the all the extra options that I would never check if ordering new… but looking today, deals are even better. Might be worth considering.

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Meh, all say better tech in Tesla, but don’t mention exactly what they mean. If we’re talking about their inbuilt “iPad”, ok. But it lacks 360 cameras, rear wheel steering and more. Is it better in the chassis tech? No. Is it better in the motor tech? At some degree, but it’s really a tiny difference. And only in terms of efficiency that is written on paper. At high speed, taycan is way better. Tesla is made to perform 0-100. It has 1000+ hp just to beat turbo s at higher speeds. I believe taycan with the same specs will beat Tesla like a blink of an eye. So, what tech does Tesla have that is better? I’m a senior SW engineer and I simply can’t understand what people mean. Multimedia is all the tech what they mean? Ah, ok, the autopilot. You know my previous BMW had better “autopilot” capabilities (to my likes) than the Tesla 3 I tried. Maybe it works better in USA.. I don’t know. In Finland, it didn’t work well. Though, personally I don’t want that. I want to control the car - I played enough these games and chosen taycan for driving experience.
So a car tech is better in Porsche. IT tech is slightly better in Tesla. But you can always use an iPad and have fun while you’re in the car. In contrast, can you “improve” Tesla in the same way and improve its driving capabilities? No.
Your choice :)

Last edited:

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag

Realistically if this car is for a daily or even weekend driving then you don't need faster than a 4S in my view. Many will disagree of course. But for every day, ride and handling, the 4S will be a great car. There's no question the Taycan in my view displays its sporting heritage as well as have a great ride and a solid feel to build quality - its an all rounder without many compromises other than width in the UK. A very elegant modern interior without having an iPad stuck on the dash (which has always put me off Tesla). No question depreciation on high end EV's will be expensive and if that bothers you then a Tesla Model Y will work perfectly well. I had a number of 911's through the 80's and 90's and it's been a great experience so far returning the Porsche brand - it feels a special car without being outrageous unless you consider Mamba green is outrageous?

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
FWIW, as soon as the 4S was announced I ordered one. I’ve worked in tech for my entire career and know the pace of change only increases and that breakthroughs are always just around the corner. All that said, I went all in on my car and the EV experience and have zero regrets. Three years after getting my COVID-delayed Taycan it still turns heads and I get a ton of super positive comments. I came out of a 911 with a 6 speed, which I thought I’d be buried in, but could not love this car more.

There’s always something better around the corner, especially with 2024 MY coming up any day now. I suspect the tweaks will be minimal and big architectural changes to the drivetrain and HV battery will be reserved for the ‘28 MY.

Like others on here I can attest to what a delight it is to own and drive a Taycan. It still feels special to me and it’s such a phenomenal drive.

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag

Your title says it all……… Life is too short. My philosophy is enjoy every day/week/month you can. Go where you can, live where you can, drive what you can. I don’t want any regrets in this short life we have.

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
IMHO, you should go with the Plaid. You’ll never be satisfied with a Taycan given your focus on stats and will always be looking over your shoulder at some higher stat. The Taycan is for driving - a stat that doesn’t come with a number … something only you can take the measure of by how it makes you feel.
Sponsored