London Roads Width Restriction - Rims Damage

First Name
Xenophon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (MY21)
Country flag
Road narrowing schemes in London seem to multiply to either make way for cycle lanes or prevent lorries driving through posh neighbourhoods! The favoured width of these is 6’6” which seems to match the Taycan’s width perfectly minus an inch or two! Net effect after two such unfortunate encounters in South London is two ruined rims! ???! Anyone else similar experience? How do we stop them? Most of these spring up after you commit to a one way system and there is no going back!

Porsche Taycan London Roads Width Restriction - Rims Damage D4F32B8F-9093-4205-8339-3C976C7387A0
Sponsored

OP
OP
Xenophon Christodoulou
First Name
Xenophon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (MY21)
Country flag
:( Raise the suspension and drive over the kerb? Send a bill to the council?
:( Raise the suspension and drive over the kerb? Send a bill to the council?
There is no space between the curb and the bollard to allow for driving over the curb! Arseholes at the council thought of everything!!! I wish I could send the brainless idiots the bill!

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
Road narrowing schemes in London seem to multiply to either make way for cycle lanes or prevent lorries driving through posh neighbourhoods! The favoured width of these is 6’6” which seems to match the Taycan’s width perfectly minus an inch or two! Net effect after two such unfortunate encounters in South London is two ruined rims! ???! Anyone else similar experience? How do we stop them? Most of these spring up after you commit to a one way system and there is no going back!

D4F32B8F-9093-4205-8339-3C976C7387A0.jpeg
I’ve had exactly the same thing happen to my Mission E’s twice in South London. There just isn’t the clearance.

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
I think my current Q7 is slightly wider than the Taycan. Generally try to avoid certain 6'6" where possible but when that's not possible this is what I do. I could be wrong but I am in the belief that all cars built are made narrow enough to fit through any width restriction 6'6" or greater. More often than not I am driving a 3.5T panel or box van. Okay I have the benefit of the wing mirrors being able to ride over the barriers but have yet to find a width restriction in London that I havent been able to fit through.

Roll down the your window and stick your head out to get a better view. Drive through slowly with your wheels as close to the curb on your side without obviously damaging them. This should see you through without damaging the opposite side.

The ones at Arnos grove are particularly bad as they place the barriers so close you will definately hit them with you mirrors unless both of them are folded in. Also ones that are angled rather than strraight are also a pain.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I recall doing something similar on one side to two-tone wheels on the M4 years ago in a ridiculously weird parking garage setup but in your case all damage seems confined to the polished aluminum i.e. your black inlays untouched? In which case totally repairable if just refinishing the outer rim - trying to get a positive spin here :)! Of course can't guarantee this won't recur but the advice here might help to mitigate that. Best of luck.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
Have been in exactly the same situation as you.

I now either drive down the wrong side of the road (if there isn’t a width restriction going the other way), or turn around and go back. Would rather redirect my route by 5 mins, than spend another couple of hundred quid getting the rims repaired.

It’s a joke how little room there is to spare. Almost impossible not to scrape one of the sides. And what’s even worse is that it’s not the bollards themselves, but the even narrower curbs beneath.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
If I had those issues I would definitely be considering some of the rim protector products on the market. Hopefully they do some that are quite subtle and not just the Barry Boy colours!

And do what was stated above (head out of window).

I would also look to see if there are any decent tyres with a sidewall guard rim at tyre renewal time (no idea about Taycan tyres tbh).

Also, quick question. I have those alloys too. Are they diamond cut?

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Alloygator.com

I personally don’t have or like them but it’s an option I suppose….

OP
OP
Xenophon Christodoulou
First Name
Xenophon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (MY21)
Country flag
I recall doing something similar on one side to two-tone wheels on the M4 years ago in a ridiculously weird parking garage setup but in your case all damage seems confined to the polished aluminum i.e. your black inlays untouched? In which case totally repairable if just refinishing the outer rim - trying to get a positive spin here :)! Of course can't guarantee this won't recur but the advice here might help to mitigate that. Best of luck.
I think my current Q7 is slightly wider than the Taycan. Generally try to avoid certain 6'6" where possible but when that's not possible this is what I do. I could be wrong but I am in the belief that all cars built are made narrow enough to fit through any width restriction 6'6" or greater. More often than not I am driving a 3.5T panel or box van. Okay I have the benefit of the wing mirrors being able to ride over the barriers but have yet to find a width restriction in London that I havent been able to fit through.

Roll down the your window and stick your head out to get a better view. Drive through slowly with your wheels as close to the curb on your side without obviously damaging them. This should see you through without damaging the opposite side.

The ones at Arnos grove are particularly bad as they place the barriers so close you will definately hit them with you mirrors unless both of them are folded in. Also ones that are angled rather than strraight are also a pain.
No chance you can go through! The kerb is narrower than the barrier and they seem to add these concrete teardrop shaped boulders that overhang the kerb! It’s shockingly bad and the c@&ts at the council have no f&£@inv clue!!!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
No chance you can go through! The kerb is narrower than the barrier and they seem to add these concrete teardrop shaped boulders that overhang the kerb! It’s shockingly bad and the c@&ts at the council have no f&£@inv clue!!!
I guess those ugly rim protectors might be your only recourse - I've never used them but if they install and remove easily perhaps you can anticipate and prep prior to having to go through these 'hell gates' and remove after - or lust leave on for days you know you're going to need them.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
i live in SW london and have the same issues. the other day i encountered a car park on kensington high street that is not physically big enough for a taycan. so, put your surround camera on, use the bottom setting that points at the front wheels when moving forward then switch to the rear by pressing on the screen.

if you kerb the wheels go to posh wash on park lane

OP
OP
Xenophon Christodoulou
First Name
Xenophon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (MY21)
Country flag
i live in SW london and have the same issues. the other day i encountered a car park on kensington high street that is not physically big enough for a taycan. so, put your surround camera on, use the bottom setting that points at the front wheels when moving forward then switch to the rear by pressing on the screen.

if you kerb the wheels go to posh wash on park lane
What service should I expect at posh wash park lane? Do they do express repairs?

OP
OP
Xenophon Christodoulou
First Name
Xenophon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (MY21)
Country flag
If I had those issues I would definitely be considering some of the rim protector products on the market. Hopefully they do some that are quite subtle and not just the Barry Boy colours!

And do what was stated above (head out of window).

I would also look to see if there are any decent tyres with a sidewall guard rim at tyre renewal time (no idea about Taycan tyres tbh).

Also, quick question. I have those alloys too. Are they diamond cut?
Head out of the window to look at the wheels??? Only if you are 7'7" or a circus performer!
Sponsored