Looking for home charging advice for on the way Taycan. I can go to 100A but should I?

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
First let me say that this forum has been so informative regarding all things Taycan! Thanks to all who shared their wisdom and knowledge.

Our 4 CT is scheduled to be at the dealer on 12/9. It was ordered with the 19.2 option. Not counting on seeing it in 2022, but that's a whole other thread. Today my electrician and I maxed out the load at the house and recorded 66 amps. So I can add a dedicated 100 amp circuit for the Taycan and still be safely under 200 A. (To max out the load we turned every light on, the oven, tvs, toaster oven, dryer, hood, microwave etc. Cooktop and water heaters are gas. Real world likelihood of using them all at the same time is about zero but better safe than sorry.) The install in the garage would be fairly straightforward as my meter base is mounted on exterior garage wall and the panel is on the same wall inside the garage about three feet away. I am a builder by trade and my electrician takes very good care of me on the personal side so cost is not an issue. Originally I was just going to go NEMA 50 with the PMCC at 9.6 but the throttling and my ability to go up to 19.2 have convinced me to hardwire a charger. The wall that the charger will be mounted on is about 15' from where the Taycan charging port will be located. This almost eliminates the PWCC as the cord is 14.8'. (why????? when all the others are 25'???). We could surface mount conduit and get it closer but I hate the aesthetics. Alternately the drywall and paint work to hide the wiring would be $$$$$ even at "friends and family". So Clipper Creek CS 100 ( 100 A, $ 2,195 and UGLY ) Clipper Creek HCS 80-R ( 80A, $ 1,176 and not as ugly) Tesla J 1772 (60A, $ 550 and good looking)? Or PWCC (100A, $ 1,586 and good looking) and paint the conduit to match the wall and stop being such an OCD freak? Or something else? Open to suggestions and thanks in advance.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
if you can do it and it’s affordable no reason not to

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Perhaps back up a step and consider your actual charging needs. Here in Atlanta, we get an incredible deal ($.014/KWh) from 11PM - 7AM so that's when we charge. In our daily use (daytime commuting) , we typically charge 2x per week to the recommended 85% SOC. Occasionally we will let it get down to 20% SOC.

We have just a basic Siemens EV230WS 7.2 KW Level 2 Charger. 40A Breaker. Even starting at 20% at 11PM, it will always get us to 85% by 7AM. Have never felt any need for a faster home charger. Fortunately we have a EA 150KW charger 4 miles away if we ever need a fast charge but have rarely used it. (Mostly just before a trip to make sure the "Plug-and-Charge" is still working)

For what it's worth....

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Not sure exactly what your reticence is in respect doing this is but agree with Dave in that you should just do it. If you were trying to be cost conscious then another option is a setup like mine which hard wires a ChargePoint Home Flex outputting 11+kW which translates to 10.5 at the car - noticeably faster than std Nema 40 but not close to the full monty you're contemplating :).

However it doesn't sound like cost is the issue in respect your EVSE installation so, yes if I had the option, I would do it.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The 19.2 is kind of a waste if you don’t put in the appropriate circuit and EVSE.

Unless you have another specific use case in mind.

I have the 19.2 and I have yet to find myself sad about charging faster.

Sushivore

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Had a similar consideration when my son installed his EV charger. He was gung-ho for a 100A charger, but I tried to apply some fatherly advice. He had a brand new 200A panel installed specifically to allow for a high current Level 2 charger, but even so, 100A per leg continuous is a huge current draw and I was concerned about potential issues, even if the installation was per code.

Eventually he relented and we settled on a 70A breaker, 4-gauge THHN in conduit. Still that was heavy wire to work with, fortunately only a 12 foot run . Hardwired to a Chargepoint Flex set to 70A Breaker size (50 A charging current). I like to think that my influence caused him to reconsider a 100A charger, but really it was the cost.

I think he is pretty happy with the install, and I monitored the installation with a thermal camera and it ran cool (the Flex 1772 connector was the warmest part of the entire circuit).

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
100A per leg continuous is a huge current draw
First, the circuit would be 100A. The load would only be 80A.

Second, it’s really not that big. It seems big relative to typical residential loads, but it’s really not a big deal, as long as one has capacity and it’s installed properly.

It’s not something to be scared of.

Sushivore

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
First, the circuit would be 100A. The load would only be 80A.

Second, it’s really not that big. It seems big relative to typical residential loads, but it’s really not a big deal, as long as one has capacity and it’s installed properly.

It’s not something to be scared of.
That is true, 80A per leg. Still a very large current draw compared to usual home loads. In the past two years, the highest power draw at my home was 14700 W, with a peak current on one of the legs of 68 A. This was only for a brief period of time as an AC compressor kicked in. I just get nervous with sustained loads of this magnitude.

When I had my original charger installed years ago, the vehicle only drew 24A and we had connection at the 14-50 receptacle run warm. The electrician and I dissembled the receptacle, and it looked perfect. The electrician replaced it with a new Hubbell receptacle, and it ran cool. Never did figure out what was wrong and he was very meticulous with regard to proper lug torque and installation practices; it really bothered him. Ever since that episode I take a few minutes to scan connections with a thermal camera after a new install. Never had a problem since that time, but that stuck with me.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just get nervous with sustained loads of this magnitude.
Meh. I regularly work on loads that are 1000A+ continuous. We temp in circuits over 100A in our shop (at work) for testing all of the time.

OP has a 200A box with a lot of gas appliances (same boat as me, but I have even more gas). It’s wasted if you don’t use it. I ran 125A to my garage. Well not me. I had someone else do it.

OP
OP
Surlymcm

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
Lots of good info here. Thanks to all for the responses. One thing I would like to clarify-infrastructure costs are not an issue but I still have to pay retail on the hardware!

I’m not concerned about the amp draw just trying to figure out if the expense of the 1600-2200 dollar chargers is justified vs the 60/48 Tesla charger for $550. Further clarification-Taycan will primarily be driven in town and range should be a non issue. Sorry if my newbie questions are unclear.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
just trying to figure out if the expense of the 1600-2200 dollar chargers is justified
I would at least put in the panel. If you want to put in a smaller EVsE for now, you can do that, and have options to upgrade later. It easier to run it into a panel that’s already in your garage.

Lucid is supposed to be coming out with a 19.2 EVSE.

https://carbuzz.com/news/lucid-introduces-new-home-charger-that-adds-80-miles-of-range-per-hour

I have a 75A Wall Wattz. It was only $1200 when I got it in early ‘21. It’s $1800 now. Not a great deal.

https://wattzilla.com/products/wall-wattz.htm

I think I read that EVSE tax credits are still available in ‘22 also.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
The 19.2 is kind of a waste if you don’t put in the appropriate circuit and EVSE.

Unless you have another specific use case in mind.

I have the 19.2 and I have yet to find myself sad about charging faster.
this needs to be emphasized - about the only place the 19.2 kW charging option will come into play in north america is at home - it's just not that common to encounter any public charging more than 6 or 7 kW when away from home…and it's not going to get better over time - future growth in charging is all with FastDC charging where the 19.2 kW charging option is not in play or a factor - so there are not more 80 amp J-1772 chargers being built out…

about the only reason to get the 19.2 kW option for the Taycan is because you know you have access to 70/80 amp charging at home or at work…otherwise this option will sit largely unused in your purchase.

if you're not going to install 70/80 charging in your home - the option is really really wasted money - because you simply will NOT encounter that many 70/80 amp chargers in the wild - and the ones that you do encoutner will be Tesla Destination chargers - so you'll need the 80 amp TeslaTap to use them.

you simply are only rarely on a blue moon on alternate tuesdays in months that have "J" in their name going to encounter an 80 amp J-1772 charger when you are out an about in public.

OP
OP
Surlymcm

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your input. If the 100 A Porsche wall charger had a 25’ cord we wouldn’t be having this discussion! The Lucid 100 A charger has been “announced” but I couldn’t find a way to buy it. Our Taycan is due 12/9 (seems overly optimistic but who knows)so maybe something will change before then, but as of now I think I am going to install the Clipper Creek HCS 80. This will give me 15.4 kw charging and utilize the 19.2 option that I paid for.

OP
OP
Surlymcm

Surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT soon
Country flag
Update on the Lucid charger. They are “hoping” to start shipping them on 11/30. I’m in a holding pattern……

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
First let me say that this forum has been so informative regarding all things Taycan! Thanks to all who shared their wisdom and knowledge.

Our 4 CT is scheduled to be at the dealer on 12/9. It was ordered with the 19.2 option. Not counting on seeing it in 2022, but that's a whole other thread. Today my electrician and I maxed out the load at the house and recorded 66 amps. So I can add a dedicated 100 amp circuit for the Taycan and still be safely under 200 A. (To max out the load we turned every light on, the oven, tvs, toaster oven, dryer, hood, microwave etc. Cooktop and water heaters are gas. Real world likelihood of using them all at the same time is about zero but better safe than sorry.) The install in the garage would be fairly straightforward as my meter base is mounted on exterior garage wall and the panel is on the same wall inside the garage about three feet away. I am a builder by trade and my electrician takes very good care of me on the personal side so cost is not an issue. Originally I was just going to go NEMA 50 with the PMCC at 9.6 but the throttling and my ability to go up to 19.2 have convinced me to hardwire a charger. The wall that the charger will be mounted on is about 15' from where the Taycan charging port will be located. This almost eliminates the PWCC as the cord is 14.8'. (why????? when all the others are 25'???). We could surface mount conduit and get it closer but I hate the aesthetics. Alternately the drywall and paint work to hide the wiring would be $$$$$ even at "friends and family". So Clipper Creek CS 100 ( 100 A, $ 2,195 and UGLY ) Clipper Creek HCS 80-R ( 80A, $ 1,176 and not as ugly) Tesla J 1772 (60A, $ 550 and good looking)? Or PWCC (100A, $ 1,586 and good looking) and paint the conduit to match the wall and stop being such an OCD freak? Or something else? Open to suggestions and thanks in advance.
Another option could be a converted Tesla HPWC Gen2 which are 80A capable. You can still find them new on ebay and places like that, even some with etched Elon's signature. Their original MSRP was $550. They sell for anywhere from $400 to $1,200. You can get one converted to J1772 with a custom length cable here:
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=175
Sponsored