Miscellaneous Comments

Maximus Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Type
Country flag
Great forum. Have gotten a lot out of it. Some random comments that might be helpful to a few of you.

I live in Texas. I have a RWD Taycan on order. Order placed with dealer 5/2/2021. Order locked 6/12/2021. Car arrived at the port in Houston 8/23/2021. Waiting for chip (s). Estimated arrival at dealer 10/1/2021 (although this date has been slipping and I expect it to slip further).

Like many I went back and forth on colors and decided on Ice Grey. Saw a Neptune Blue in the wild for the first time the other day and thought it was beautiful. Would have ordered that color if I had seen it in person before ordering. Photos on line do not do it justice. Also have a Italian Racing Red Jaguar F-Type. Have received more compliments on this car than every other car I've owned combined. Traded a 2019 Audi RS-7 in for the Taycan, so I will have some good comparisons between the F-Type, Audi and Taycan concerning looks, performance, comfort, etc.

Other significant options include the Premium Package, Mission E-Wheels, and Insulated Glass.

My electric guy says he will install two (in case my wife goes EV in the future) 240V outlets in my garage for a total of $250. Seems to me the comments about electricians overcharging because it's an EV are accurate?

Ran into a guy yesterday who just traded in his Taycan 4S because he said charging stations are not adequate. Specifically, many of the chargers are out of order of occupied by cars that are not actually charging. He said he loved the car, but didn't think it would be useable for road trips so he traded for a Cayenne Turbo Coup (says he likes it a lot).

I'll provide an update when my car arrives and some first impressions.
Sponsored

Jsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I paid about $400 for my electrician to install a 240 outlet in my garage in DFW. I thought it was not too out of line.
As for the charging situation away from your house - it’s really spotty at times. EA in Texas is not a great network and they’re often not all functional.

good luck with your though, I know you’ll love it!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Great forum. Have gotten a lot out of it. Some random comments that might be helpful to a few of you.

I live in Texas. I have a RWD Taycan on order. Order placed with dealer 5/2/2021. Order locked 6/12/2021. Car arrived at the port in Houston 8/23/2021. Waiting for chip (s). Estimated arrival at dealer 10/1/2021 (although this date has been slipping and I expect it to slip further).

Will be interesting to hear more on Texas charging stations once you use them - i'm Houston based so curious as to how stable/available chargers are on routes between Austin and San Antonio.

That said this morning I began having serious thoughts of deferring my allocation to a 2023 build. Current original order mid-July, freeze still 2 months out - latest del supposedly Dec 31 but I call BS and most probably well into 2022 - mouse is hovering over send button re email to my dealership to start negotiation - but will hold off until tomorrow!

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Apples to oranges comparison with respect to costs. Simple is just pull a wire, attach a plug, parts extra and it doesn't cost much for a hour or two of work. Upgraded service, new service panel or hide the wires, a lot more.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Fellow Texan. $250 for a couple 240V outlets seems like a solid deal. In my area they try and get away with upwards of $500 for one.

I live in El Paso but have taken my 4S across Texas to the Florida Panhandle and West to California. Most of the time you charge at home so local infrastructure doesn't matter. In Central and East Texas, chargers are popping up everywhere. When I was last in DFW it seemed every Walgreens had an EVgo 50kw charger.

For road tripping, the EA Network is hit or miss. Faster than the Tesla network when working, but a real bummer when it's down. I've had two road trips where an EA charger goes down and I'm stuck staying the night with a level 2 charger. These were both last year, and my more recent experiences have been better, but it isn't rare to pull up to an EA charger and have to change stalls due to some sort of issue. Newer Taycan models have plug and charge which many have had great success with versus navigating through several apps to try and initiate a charge.

Some things to remember/tips, is the number of chargers today, is far more than a year ago. A year from now there will be many more. Tesla is planning to allow all EV's to use there supercharger network within the year. This more than doubles our road trip options and will alleviate a lot of charger anxiety. Download plugshare. It's an app with every charger available in your area and nationwide listed, and EA will post updates on repairs through here on their chargers, and people will review which stalls gave them good experiences.

Overall, it's worthwhile and we are seeing a ton of investment into the charging infrastructure more so now than ever before. I live in a fairly isolated part of the country, and I still feel like I'm decently connected from an EV standpoint.

OP
OP

Maximus Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Type
Country flag
I paid about $400 for my electrician to install a 240 outlet in my garage in DFW. I thought it was not too out of line.
As for the charging situation away from your house - it’s really spotty at times. EA in Texas is not a great network and they’re often not all functional.

Thanks!

OP
OP

Maximus Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Type
Country flag
Fellow Texan. $250 for a couple 240V outlets seems like a solid deal. In my area they try and get away with upwards of $500 for one.

I live in El Paso but have taken my 4S across Texas to the Florida Panhandle and West to California. Most of the time you charge at home so local infrastructure doesn't matter. In Central and East Texas, chargers are popping up everywhere. When I was last in DFW it seemed every Walgreens had an EVgo 50kw charger.

For road tripping, the EA Network is hit or miss. Faster than the Tesla network when working, but a real bummer when it's down. I've had two road trips where an EA charger goes down and I'm stuck staying the night with a level 2 charger. These were both last year, and my more recent experiences have been better, but it isn't rare to pull up to an EA charger and have to change stalls due to some sort of issue. Newer Taycan models have plug and charge which many have had great success with versus navigating through several apps to try and initiate a charge.

Some things to remember/tips, is the number of chargers today, is far more than a year ago. A year from now there will be many more. Tesla is planning to allow all EV's to use there supercharger network within the year. This more than doubles our road trip options and will alleviate a lot of charger anxiety. Download plugshare. It's an app with every charger available in your area and nationwide listed, and EA will post updates on repairs through here on their chargers, and people will review which stalls gave them good experiences.

Overall, it's worthwhile and we are seeing a ton of investment into the charging infrastructure more so now than ever before. I live in a fairly isolated part of the country, and I still feel like I'm decently connected from an EV standpoint.
Great tips. . .thanks!

OP
OP

Maximus Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Type
Country flag
Apples to oranges comparison with respect to costs. Simple is just pull a wire, attach a plug, parts extra and it doesn't cost much for a hour or two of work. Upgraded service, new service panel or hide the wires, a lot more.
Agree, re apples to oranges, but I got two other quotes for the same work for $650 and $800.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Im always interested in the DCFC on any EV.

How many times a month do you drive over 200 miles on a single day?

$250 is a great price. The distance between the panel box makes a big difference in pricing.
Mine was considerably more for this reason.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have gone Ice Grey RWD and love it. I get a lot of comments from people about the colour.

I was initially going to go Neptune Blue, but my last two cars were blue and my wife's car is blue, so fancied a change.

Lots of great colours with the Taycan. Just personal choice in the end.

I reckon the guy who sold and got a Cayenne jumped ship just at the wrong time. Just as more chargers are popping up everywhere!
Can only assume he didn't have a home charger? I can see very few occasions when I would need to rely on the public charge network personally.

OP
OP

Maximus Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Type
Country flag
I have gone Ice Grey RWD and love it. I get a lot of comments from people about the colour.

I was initially going to go Neptune Blue, but my last two cars were blue and my wife's car is blue, so fancied a change.

I reckon the guy who sold and got a Cayenne jumped ship just at the wrong time. Just as more chargers are popping up everywhere!
Can only assume he didn't have a home charger? I can see very few occasions when I would need to rely on the public charge network personally.
I'm the same way re the need for the charging network. I don't like to take road trips anymore, and if I do take one it would be in one of my other cars so the Taycan for me is an "around town" car.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
We've used EA twice and both times it's worked perfectly. Maybe lucky, maybe because it was a free weekend, but whatever the reason we literally couldn't ask for a better or easier experience.

The EV community needs to figure out charging etiquette. At our most recent session, the 350kW chargers were "EV'd" by two EVs that couldn't even max out the 150kW chargers. Literally no one else there, and they were plugging into the 350kW chargers. EA could definitely help out by more clearly marking which chargers are 350kW. Oh, and also, not only did the second guy plug into a 350kW charger, he plugged into the one that we were using (two cords per charger). I'm not mad about it, because all of us non-Tesla owners are new to this EV thing, but I definitely see it becoming a problem in the not-so-distant future.

We're finding that there's charging all over the place. Slow (~6kW) chargers are everywhere, and 50kW chargers seem to be about twice as common as EA stations. And we're also finding that, the vast majority of the time, that's all we actually need. It's rare that we go more than 200 miles a day. The biggest reason to use EA is that it's free. Some of those slow chargers are crazy expensive, like on the order of $5/hr. That's just completely unreasonable and wildly out of proportion to the actual costs.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

Ice grey is very nice - I would own it. Agreed, Taycan color choice are all great.

OP
OP

Maximus Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Type
Country flag

Like many I went back and forth on colors and decided on Ice Grey. Saw a Neptune Blue in the wild for the first time the other day and thought it was beautiful. Would have ordered that color if I had seen it in person before ordering. Photos on line do not do it justice. Also have a Italian Racing Red Jaguar F-Type. Have received more compliments on this car than every other car I've owned combined. Traded a 2019 Audi RS-7 in for the Taycan, so I will have some good comparisons between the F-Type, Audi and Taycan concerning looks, performance, comfort, etc.

Other significant options include the Premium Package, Mission E-Wheels, and Insulated Glass.

My electric guy says he will install two (in case my wife goes EV in the future) 240V outlets in my garage for a total of $250. Seems to me the comments about electricians overcharging because it's an EV are accurate?

Ran into a guy yesterday who just traded in his Taycan 4S because he said charging stations are not adequate. Specifically, many of the chargers are out of order of occupied by cars that are not actually charging. He said he loved the car, but didn't think it would be useable for road trips so he traded for a Cayenne Turbo Coup (says he likes it a lot).

I have the car! Picked it up two days ago. Dealer gave me $2K off for the wait. I thought this was good since he doesn't have any new cars on the lot to sell. After two days of driving, I am very happy. Have been literally stopped three times by people wanting to know/say "what kind of car is that" or "that car is beautiful". For me, the RWD has plenty of power. I can get into any space I want on the road. It rides smoother than I thought and is quieter. I have the PASM and noise insulated glass. The Bose sound system is excellent as well so I am happy I got the premium package. Ice Gray Metallic is a terrific color!!
Porsche Taycan Miscellaneous Comments IMG_0594

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Great looking car! I look forward to hearing about your first few days driving it.
Sponsored