MT review of Lucid. Better than Taycan?

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Don't know if it's ugly imho, it's different for sure. Not my taste but others might like it. I like the fact that new cars are coming out and pushing things forward.

As for the review - and knowing who Mr Lieberman is (?) - this is overall pretty incomplete even as a first drive 'review'. There's hardly any mention of how the software setup is vs a Tesla and this whole thing reads like he was driving a half finished car. There's no mention of how it stacks up against the Taycan specifically in the review except the later response to an instagram question. Weird. If a new entrant car wipes the floor with a Porsche re handling, you'd think it'd be right up there in a review.

Would like to see a better comparison review once the fully done production car is out. No offense to Mr Lieberman and his motoring journalism prowess (cue eye roll again).
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
The way he answered those questions in his Instagram sound like he holds a grudge or something against the Taycan.

Don’t care how many other cars he has driven. Unbiased opinions are pretty much nowhere to find these days.
Lackluster 21st century journalism. :swear:

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
Agree with everyone else. The Lucid Air is not attractive and at $170K+, having an attractive exterior design is really table stakes.

Many things in this review don't add up at all. If anything, it sounds like a better version of the Model S Plaid.

I don't see how anything so heavy and so wide can maneuver and drive better than a Taycan.

I also don't know who will early adopt a Lucid Air at this price point. Even if it's a status symbol, it's not a very good one. It's less attractive than even a Model S, way more expensive, and will inevitably have issues as a first year, first production car from a new company.

You can make the argument that the Model S was exactly the same story 10 years ago when it came out, but back then there were no production EVs to compare it against. Now there are a lot.

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
The way he answered those questions in his Instagram sound like he holds a grudge or something against the Taycan.

Don’t care how many other cars he has driven. Unbiased opinions are pretty much nowhere to find these days.
As a previous Fisker Karma owner, I would caution everyone against purchasing a >$100K from a company that has never produced an automobile before. Although the Karma was drop dead gorgeous (there was always a crowd of people around the car when I returned to it) and drove nicely, the issue was with the software. Once while on the interstate driving at 80 mph the outside mirrors suddenly folded in and with no visibility out the rear window this was VERY dangerous. When I pulled over and called the dealer, I was told :"Break them and force them back open and bring the car in and we will fix it.

If you have disposable income (and I stress disposable) and wish to add to your collection....great, but as a daily driver I would caution against it.

Plus, I think the car is ugly, IMHO

Buck

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Before I bought my Taycan, I checked out Lucid in their showroom. I inspected the Lucid car for 5 minutes and decided that it was not for me. It had a 2-tone color scheme (reminded me of Buick), the trunk had a very tiny opening, and overall felt like a big boat. Lucid and Taycan are trying to target different audiences, IMO. Maybe Lucid is going after the S class market. Lucid may have more power, more range, more LCD screen, but I would still buy a Taycan.
Small trunk opening? You sure you thinking about a Lucid Air?

Porsche Taycan MT review of Lucid. Better than Taycan? Lucid-Air-Trunk-2048x1144-1

sboggsisu

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Base
Country flag
I looked at a Lucid in person as well. I think they are going after the Tesla S market for sure. I love the look of the Lucid - its very luxurious and futuristic at the same time. I think they will take the tech and speed of Tesla and combine it with a great interior, something we all know the Tesla is lacking. The founder is a former Tesla exec so I'm not too concerned about their having huge startup issues, but one never knows. I got a Taycan (traded in my MS) because the lower versions of the Lucid Air (aka the ones in my budget) wont' be out until late 2022 or 2023. I'll probably still keep my Taycan even then because I like the sportiness over the luxury sedan look. But I'm excited to test drive an Air when the time comes.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
As a previous Fisker Karma owner, I would caution everyone against purchasing a >$100K from a company that has never produced an automobile before. Although the Karma was drop dead gorgeous (there was always a crowd of people around the car when I returned to it) and drove nicely, the issue was with the software. Once while on the interstate driving at 80 mph the outside mirrors suddenly folded in and with no visibility out the rear window this was VERY dangerous. When I pulled over and called the dealer, I was told :"Break them and force them back open and bring the car in and we will fix it.

If you have disposable income (and I stress disposable) and wish to add to your collection....great, but as a daily driver I would caution against it.

Plus, I think the car is ugly, IMHO

Buck
I spoke to the people at Lucid and told them the only way would be a lease to hedge againsts a Fisker situation.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I am looking forward to the first member of our Taycan forum making an actual test drive with a Lucid Air him/herself and posting an assessment on our forum.
When (if) a Lucid dealer opens in SWFL I'll be on it ASAP to get a road test.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
When (if) a Lucid dealer opens in SWFL I'll be on it ASAP to get a road test.
Take a ride across the state to West Palm. My buddy is over there now with family and said they're all over the showroom.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
Lucid is not my cup of tea, but I’m glad they are coming to market and I agree with others “The more EV’s, the merrier!” It would be a mistake to think that because it is expensive and first year for a new company that they can’t make a quality, reliable product though. I bought something similar called a Tesla Model S P85 in 2012 after owning a Panamera 4S, and it was a great car and utterly reliable for me for over 60,000 miles. Followed that with a P100D, and had the same experience. Yes, you are definitely an early adopter with Lucid and may have issues, but as a happy Taycan and Tesla owner, Tesla has shown in my opinion how a new car company can be successful. That success is also the reason we now have the Taycan, Lucid, Polestar, Rivian, E-Tron, etc. I can’t wait for the real reviews on all these new cars to come out.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I don't think the comparison to Fisker is valid. Fisker had around 100 employees, relied an a battery startup A123 (which eventually went bankrupt) and borrowed a lot of their design from other automakers (particularly GM). In addition they didn't have a lot of financial backing.

Lucid has significant financial backing, they have been making batteries for Formula-E for several years, and are significantly larger than Fisker. They also have some legit technological advances and will be very competitive against other vehicles on the market (Tesla Model S, EQS, Taycan, etc) in terms of performance, luxury, and especially range. Fisker only had an attractive looking vehicle. Fisker had no real tech advantages, and arguably went the wrong direction by building a plug-in hybrid with poor performance.

There is still a lot of risk buying an expensive car from a startup automaker, but they seem to have a high likely hood of succeeding.

In terms of style, I would say the Air is somewhere in the middle. About as nice looking as a Tesla Model S, way better looking than the EQS, but no where near as good looking as the Taycan. If you compare it to ICE sedans in it's class (S-Class, A7/8, 7/8-Series, Panamera etc) it looks the part.
Sponsored