My battery range says 208 miles… shouldn't it be 250 miles?

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Exactly one week ago I collected my RWD Taycan with the Performance Battery Plus and 21" RS Spyder rims. I've driven it 326 km in those seven days, with mixed driving. I charged it back to 100% last night, and the range is now predicted to be 360 km, which is 224 miles.

Since collecting the car, I charged it twice (once to try the Ionity charger near Liege, and the second time to charge it up to 100%). The figures are below:

Distance driven: 307.0 km
Power added: 88.07 kWh
Average cost per kWh to charge: €0.16
Total cost of the charges: €14.14
Actual power consumption: 28.7 kWh/100km
Cost per km: 4.6 € ct/km

I did a 150 km drive along a flat highway at 100 km/h, and the trip computer came back with a figure of around 20.6 kWh/100km, which would give a theoretical range of 406 km (252 miles).
You guys are so fortunate to have a more complete infastructure. It is a real pain to have to use your not so comfortable gas car because the electric one will take three hours longer because you have to go north to go west.

Chuck J
Sponsored

psancla

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Gentian Blue, Mustang Mach E RWD
Country flag
This is the best range I have achieved in my 2021 4S. Returning from Glasgow to Galway, Ireland via Cairnryan to Belfast Ferry on a round trip of circa 1,000 Km from Galway to St Andrews and back over a 5 day period. That picture was shortly after an overnight charge to 100% on July 18 2021 during what was a very warm summer evening. Your range will improve as you clock up the miles and you should see a big improvement during the summer months. Hope you enjoy the Taycan as much as I enjoy mine.
Porsche Taycan My battery range says 208 miles… shouldn't it be 250 miles? 1668194554198

Reactions: B61

psancla

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Gentian Blue, Mustang Mach E RWD
Country flag
Typo in my last message, should have been 18th July 2022.

OP
OP
LewChappers

LewChappers

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Just charged mine to 100%. '21 RWD with software update, PB+, Mission E Wheels. Only drive in Sport Plus. 6,700 miles
Taycan112022.PNG
Should you charge to 100% then at first?

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Should you charge to 100% then at first?
I normally charge to 85% when I put it on the charger. It is set to be at 85% in the morning. However, if I come home with under 100 miles range, I will put it on Direct Charging to get some juice and start charging right then and then I turn that off a few hours later. I happened to forget the other day and it went to 100%. as it was on direct charging.

Charge it a couple of times to 85% and then do one to 100%.

Tom32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Brand new? It will take a few weeks/miles to activate the regen which will give you some miles. It will also adapt to your driving style/schedule and driving types. And if you're in the UK it's getting cold, so obviously range goes down. According to the range calculator, a RWD with the settings in the picture, will get 194 miles range
Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 09.18.12.png

Could you provide a link to this calculator?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I normally charge to 85% when I put it on the charger. It is set to be at 85% in the morning. However, if I come home with under 100 miles range, I will put it on Direct Charging to get some juice and start charging right then and then I turn that off a few hours later. I happened to forget the other day and it went to 100%. as it was on direct charging.

Charge it a couple of times to 85% and then do one to 100%.
curious to wonder why you start a charge with 100 miles range. For me that range would indicate approx 40 to 45% SoC!
Perhaps your total range is much higher than mine (370 km/ 230 miles)?

You could achieve a similar charging by just setting the Profile charging differently, if you wanted??

ineedanoriginal

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
So my MY21 4S was 100% charged this morning with 7200 miles on the clock, and with the uPdate done less than 3 weeks ago, and it indicated a range of only 206 miles. It wasn't cold and I'd prewarmed the car whilst it was charging.

This is definitely less range than I expect. I also find this number has been relatively accurate as I drive this distance at least once a week in a day and it matches the range in the car for distance travelled. I've trawled back through my consumption rates and the average is 2.8mi/kWh despite most of my miles being motorway ones in Normal mode with the cruise control set (i.e. very little start/stopping, and no excessive accelerations).

I've not had more than 2.6mi/kWh average on any trip so far this month. Seems odd to me as most of my journeys are the same each week but I'm averaging less mi/kWh this month than last for the same trips.

I'm not sure if I need to speak to my Porsche garage and get it checked out as I see others with 4S's with 90% SoC with 230 miles range. I've never seen 230 miles range even with 100% SoC!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So my MY21 4S was 100% charged this morning with 7200 miles on the clock, and with the uPdate done less than 3 weeks ago, and it indicated a range of only 206 miles. It wasn't cold and I'd prewarmed the car whilst it was charging.

This is definitely less range than I expect. I also find this number has been relatively accurate as I drive this distance at least once a week in a day and it matches the range in the car for distance travelled. I've trawled back through my consumption rates and the average is 2.8mi/kWh despite most of my miles being motorway ones in Normal mode with the cruise control set (i.e. very little start/stopping, and no excessive accelerations).

I've not had more than 2.6mi/kWh average on any trip so far this month. Seems odd to me as most of my journeys are the same each week but I'm averaging less mi/kWh this month than last for the same trips.

I'm not sure if I need to speak to my Porsche garage and get it checked out as I see others with 4S's with 90% SoC with 230 miles range. I've never seen 230 miles range even with 100% SoC!
I would highlight to your dealership as did I but no remedy as yet other than the range has slowly recovered to a degree.

Motorway driving is probably the worse scenario and accounts for the high consumption. Steady speeds around 70mph doesn't sit well with any EV.

As for the uPdate I personally think Porsche have tinkered more than they've shared. Most UK owners have been short changed in terms of range IMHO.

Tom32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Go to the Porsche website, select Taycan, scroll down the page to the range calculator.
not available in my country webpage, hence why I asked. Checked co.uk page since you're from UK and it's there - thanks!

ineedanoriginal

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
It appears to be - https://porsche.cz/nove-modely/taycan/novy-taycan-4s/ - same as everywhere else.

1668251797446.png
Thanks for this and your reply to message further up. I've had a play with this calculator and it's exactly as you say: motorway miles are almost the best way to reduce range. I'll have to do some non-motorway journeys to see how they compare.

Regardless, it still strikes me as odd that the car calculates my range at such a low number before I've input any destination. If it calculated that number knowing that I was about to drive 95% on a motorway then I could understand but as far as I am aware there isn't any AI involved that is looking at my past journey history and making assumptions about my upcoming ones!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I would highlight to your dealership as did I but no remedy as yet other than the range has slowly recovered to a degree.

Motorway driving is probably the worse scenario and accounts for the high consumption. Steady speeds around 70mph doesn't sit well with any EV.

As for the uPdate I personally think Porsche have tinkered more than they've shared. Most UK owners have been short changed in terms of range IMHO.
+1

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for this and your reply to message further up. I've had a play with this calculator and it's exactly as you say: motorway miles are almost the best way to reduce range. I'll have to do some non-motorway journeys to see how they compare.

Regardless, it still strikes me as odd that the car calculates my range at such a low number before I've input any destination. If it calculated that number knowing that I was about to drive 95% on a motorway then I could understand but as far as I am aware there isn't any AI involved that is looking at my past journey history and making assumptions about my upcoming ones!
It's just the estimated range at a standstill. Enter a route and you'll get a precise calculation factoring roads, elevation etc.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61