Car died over night…

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In BMW terms it used to be On Board Computer
OBC for the taycan refers to the onboard charger. See this TSB, where Porsche calls it OBC.

There was campaign WLG6 to reprogram it in the past, I remember you said your car already had been updated, so I assume the dealer just updated again just in case (in my opinion without any reason if it was already updated).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179278-0001.pdf
Sponsored

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
My thoughts exactly. Why update what's already updated...

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So, keeping my fingers crossed for that "big January update".... so - what month is it yet?
Maybe the meant January 2022 or 2023 or 2024 :).
My 2015 Macan received a software update (WLA)) that was released in 2020, 5 years after car was produced..

My thoughts exactly. Why update what's already updated...
I guess they have no clue for what else to do and also the local dealer is probably charging Porsche warranty labor hours for the update.

Last edited:

Snorkel1974

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Jaguar XJL, VW T6, Mini JCW Paceman
Country flag
Boo Hiss - hit by the dreaded 12v Dead Battery Problem.
:mad:
Thankfully I have back up vehilces, of the ICE guise......
Not on Charge, as it was charged in the daytime via Work Charger (nothing new there)
Alarm went off late in the night, Parked on the Drive, No sign of interference. Stopped alarm with Fob, left it alone, went out to go to work................. Dead...............
Think I know what I am doing this afternoon.........#keytime #jumpstarting
Ironically week on Monday its going in to the Dealer to look at an
"Electrical System Fault" Vehicle traction standby required notification.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not on Charge, as it was charged in the daytime via Work Charger (nothing new there)
Alarm went off late in the night, Parked on the Drive, No sign of interference. Stopped alarm with Fob, left it alone, went out to go to work................. Dead...............
Really sorry to hear you've been hit by this problem. Bit worrying, since, as far as I'm aware, based on posts to this forum, that's the first time this has happened while the car has not been plugged into a charger?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I wonder what would happen if the car tried to download a big update? So-far the only updates have been map updates (and maybe one other small PCM update that changed a menu). Those probably aren't huge. If the cellular connection were to be so slow that the PCM remained awake trying to download, but it took too long, could that drain 12V? It would have to take a looooong time because in this scenario the HV battery would properly wake up to recharge the 12V and would have to do that enough times that it hit the recharge attempt limit. Just a thought. Definitely concerning though that this seems to be a case of this happening when the car is NOT plugged into the charger.

Snorkel1974

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Really sorry to hear you've been hit by this problem. Bit worrying, since, as far as I'm aware, based on posts to this forum, that's the first time this has happened while the car has not been plugged into a charger?
If its any Consolation, the tricks and tips on this got it going again this afternoon.

Cheat sheet: How do I recover my Taycan if it dies because of the 12 volt problem… | Porsche Taycan Forum - TaycanForum.com

Thanks to @daveo4EV

Had to use the Trunk Tip to get it open, then boosted the 12v with a Power Bank. Bingo working and I took it out for a test drive, now safely in the Garage, so if it does go Dead again, at least its safe and warm :0)

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

When the alarm goes off the car is supposed to lose access to connect services so maybe that left the car in a state trying to connect. Moreover a visit to the dealer is required to reset the alarm status and restore connectivity. Here is the related Porsche bulletin:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10185106-0001.pdf

Snorkel1974

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When the alarm goes off the car is supposed to lose access to connect services so maybe that left the car in a state trying to connect. Moreover a visit to the dealer is required to reset the alarm status and restore connectivity. Here is the related Porsche bulletin:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10185106-0001.pdf
Maybe not a coincidence having read that, I drove 50yds down the road without the Tracker fob yesterday, did a U Turn and went and got it out my bag, I had the call from the Vodafone call centre, but told them to stand down as it wasn't a thief.

The Porsche Connect App, now won't access the PCM, so a call to call centre tomorrow may be needed, but I have been able to drive it and get it into the Secure garage.

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
It happened to my 4S a few weeks ago; went out to the car and couldn’t get in. Had to call the AA through Porsche Assistance, who had a job to get in too using the “bayonet” key in the main key. He then had to use a charging pack on a terminal in the fuse box to enable me to open the bonnet, so he could charge the 12V battery.
Told me I needed to leave the car switched on to charge the battery, but I drove it less than 5 miles and it’s never done it since.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It happened to my 4S a few weeks ago; went out to the car and couldn’t get in. Had to call the AA through Porsche Assistance, who had a job to get in too using the “bayonet” key in the main key. He then had to use a charging pack on a terminal in the fuse box to enable me to open the bonnet, so he could charge the 12V battery.
Told me I needed to leave the car switched on to charge the battery, but I drove it less than 5 miles and it’s never done it since.
Assuming you hadn't left the car for like three weeks, that's really worrying. With lockdown, I have been turning the car on for about a minute once every week or two to make sure the 12V battery is charged - it takes about 20-30s to charge from 12.9V back up to the full 13.4V. However, if this is now happening just by leaving the car in the driveway for a day, it's a massive issue. I had hoped that if this happened it would only be where I've been charging or plugged in at home and so can deal with the fuse box jump start, but if it could happen anywhere at anytime, even more worrisome. Please make sure you register this with your dealership, since I am not sure Porsche is fully aware that this is a problem that also occurs when the car is not plugged to a charger.

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don’t know if anyone in any of the 12v battery threads have linked to this document from Porsche? I also ran into the issue and used the instructions summarized on this forum to recover (great work by the forum members that I greatly appreciate)

here is the issues recognized and described by Porsche as well as the timeline to fixing it: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10185117-0001.pdf

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes that TSB has been shared before (thank you though). The concern among many forum members is that Porsche doesn't really understand the root cause. Here's to Porsche proving us wrong!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@Mwa3aan that article only states a known problem with the Porsche EV chargers - so great Porsche will fix that problem - good for them.

Now what about when this problem happens (which is has) with non-Porsche chargers?

an EV should not be limited to only functioning correctly with the manufacturer’s charger.

the noted PLC problem is a unique feature the porsche charger and is not relevant to non-Porsche EV chargers...

kudo’s to Porsche for noting and fixing the problem when the Taycan is being used with a Porsche charger...

now what about when the Taycan is being used with a non-Porsche EV charger?

the solution porsche outlines in that document is incomplete and only one known case of this problem - we need porsche to fix this problem for more than just the Porsche chargers.

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@Mwa3aan that article only states a known problem with the Porsche EV chargers - so great Porsche will fix that problem - good for them.

Now what about when this problem happens (which is has) with non-Porsche chargers?

an EV should not be limited to only functioning correctly with the manufacturer’s charger.

the noted PLC problem is a unique feature the porsche charger and is not relevant to non-Porsche EV chargers...

kudo’s to Porsche for noting and fixing the problem when the Taycan is being used with a Porsche charger...

now what about when the Taycan is being used with a non-Porsche EV charger?

the solution porsche outlines in that document is incomplete and only one known case of this problem - we need porsche to fix this problem for more than just the Porsche chargers.
completely agree and it makes sense. I didn’t appreciate the severity of the issue until it happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

the one small light at the end of the tunnel is that there will be a software update in q1 based on that pdf.

maybe that brings some other fixes ?.
Sponsored