My First Public Charge @ Electrify America (EA) - Massive Fail!

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
James:

No offense, man, but I do not know what you are talking about. No one is defending anything here, and there is no disagreement that the EA network needs improvement.

My issue for the past couple of days is that this forum has transitioned from a location to where people shared useful information about the Taycan, and its performance, to one where people continually complain about the EA network, or other nit picky things. There was a 4 page thread the other day by someone who complained about 2 failed charging sessions, but it was user error, not the EA network. The person had no experience using the EA network, but felt the need to broadcast the failure. They have yet to own up that they are at fault. Mercifully, the thread was locked once that person began to insult one of the more informed posters on this forum.

At the end of the day we all like our cars, and we need the charging infrastructure to improve, but sharing non-factual complaints about a charging session multiple times a week does not help anyone. Also, feel free to lose the "Richard" tone while responding. No one said anything negative about you. I got corrected on another thread, and thanked the person who provided me with the information. It shouldn't be that hard.
No offense taken, and I do not intend to pursue it beyond, its an expensive car and there is a problem with some aspects, charging and software. From some of the current threads from multiple posters there appears to be a consensus that this is the case, so we shall sit and see what happens.

Best,
JW
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
James:

No offense, man, but I do not know what you are talking about. No one is defending anything here, and there is no disagreement that the EA network needs improvement.

My issue for the past couple of days is that this forum has transitioned from a location to where people shared useful information about the Taycan, and its performance, to one where people continually complain about the EA network, or other nit picky things. There was a 4 page thread the other day by someone who complained about 2 failed charging sessions, but it was user error, not the EA network. The person had no experience using the EA network, but felt the need to broadcast the failure. They have yet to own up that they are at fault. Mercifully, the thread was locked once that person began to insult one of the more informed posters on this forum.

At the end of the day we all like our cars, and we need the charging infrastructure to improve, but sharing non-factual complaints about a charging session multiple times a week does not help anyone. Also, feel free to lose the "Richard" tone while responding. No one said anything negative about you. I got corrected on another thread, and thanked the person who provided me with the information. It shouldn't be that hard.
you are still stuck on user error despite all that was posted to the contrary.

please read the appended text and explain how my inability to charge was not hardware/software related

The Porsche Taycan is receiving a number of updates and new features for the 2021 model year. Innovations include Plug & Charge, vehicle functions that can be flexibly booked online (Function on Demand, FoD), and a color head-up display, while seven new exterior colors and five new interior trims provide owners with more options and choices in configuring their Taycan. The styling (both inside and out), performance, and dynamics that set the Taycan apart remain unchanged – the new options bring with them an enhanced ownership experience.
and
Even more convenient charging
Separate to the new Function on Demand services, Plug & Charge simplifies charging: Taycan drivers merely have to plug in the charging cable and authentication is handled automatically via the ISO 15118 standard. As a result, the charging station identifies the connected vehicle and can process payments securely and automatically. Plug & Charge will be available at many Electrify America charging points at the start of 2021.

source; https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/e-performance/magazine/taycan-model-new-features/

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this thread should probably be locked - I believe most of the ground that can be covered has been covered.

EA works for some and not others and has room for improvement - sufficient to say it fails to meet expectations more often than it should and will continue to be liability rather than asset until more effort is put forth by all parties involved.

but yeah - Tesla is winning this one folks - pure and simple winning - we are #2 or #3 in the charging world - so does that mean we try harder? Oh I hope so…it can be better.

@Administrator - it's your call to lock this thread - but that's my vote.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I have 8300 miles. I am at a 41kWh/100 this cycle, very good for this charge. Car is clean and all the salt is removed. Should get about 190 miles for this cycle (100% charged).

12V issue all good so far since the discharge.

There, sharing some "useful" and positive information.

Are you running winter tires on your car?

Are you planning on going more than 150 miles from your house any time soon and using the car to its potential?

Or are you just going to post cute details like this in threads on subjects you have no experience with? Since you have shared previously that you have never actually used an EA charger?

This is a fun game, John, until you get pants.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
there are numerous threads on this forum regarding the issues many have had charging the car. are they all dolts causing user errors? shall I enumerate each thread.
if the car does not charge as promised that is an issue that is important and needs to be highlighted? if you bought a gasser, took a trip, tried to pump fuel into the car only to find the nozzle incompatible what would the reaction be?
is deriding people for posting their experiences how this forum operates?

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
this thread should probably be locked - I believe most of the ground that can be covered has been covered.

EA works for some and not others and has room for improvement - sufficient to say it fails to meet expectations more often than it should and will continue to be liability rather than asset until more effort is put forth by all parties involved.

but yeah - Tesla is winning this one folks - pure and simple winning - we are #2 or #3 in the charging world - so does that mean we try harder? Oh I hope so…it can be better.

@Administrator - it's your call to lock this thread - but that's my vote.
You might want to consider leaving at least one thread open as it is likely to pop up in other places. Just my opinion.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No offense taken, and I do not intend to pursue it beyond, its an expensive car and there is a problem with some aspects, charging and software. From some of the current threads from multiple posters there appears to be a consensus that this is the case, so we shall sit and see what happens.

Best,
JW
James:

You are spot on. it is not the perfect car, but what is? At this point people need to do a lot of research in advance before making the investment in a Taycan.

Complaining about well known deficiencies after a Taycan purchase does no one any good.

And, agree with Dave. Let's lock this repeat of a thread up as well.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
[QUOTE="thecoloradokid, post: 56328, member: 1570”]
My issue for the past couple of days is that this forum has transitioned from a location to where people shared useful information about the Taycan, and its performance, to one where people continually complain about the EA network, or other nit picky things.
[/QUOTE]

IMHO it is also that lately many posts just ramp up the drama and histrionics along the lines of fail, fail, fail - omg, my spouse is now afraid to drive in the car, Porsche is way behind the unoptanium standard (even though this is often a discussion about EA, not Porsche), you need to use three apps and a magic talisman to even use the charger and Porsche never sent me the talisman, my cat will die if I can’t charge at 350 since that is what I was promised.

Let me add to this melodrama with OMG, this Tesla was unable to charge at an EA charger!! Not sure why, maybe because EA and Porsche still don’t have their act together...or maybe because it wasn’t plugged in? Hard to tell!

Not that it is worth much, but after 8000 miles, many different chargers along the West Coast, never was unable to charge my car. My only issue is when I selected a 350 charger along my route in the Porsche navigation, only to find that it wasn’t an EA and would need to pay. My cat was not happy. User error since I didn’t notice that there was an EA charger nearby when I selected the wrong one

Porsche Taycan My First Public Charge @ Electrify America (EA) - Massive Fail! 5B61E001-940E-4939-BC79-A08B0EA63DD0
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I would like to prepose a middle ground. Why don’t we blend all the EA charging issues into one thread rather than spread them everywhere?

And @thecoloradokid I would offer that strong attack and push back only begets the same. There are a lot of opinions on this thread, and many others have shared their successes and their belief that EA network is suitable for longer travel without trying to push down, discount, or attack the people who they don’t agree with.

I do agree we don’t need to cover the same topic in many different places, and it would be more useful that no matter how frustrated we are we don’t just keep saying the same things over and over again.

Btw that is not some “random” YouTube guy, he does very good and in-depth reviews, and he and Doug Murano or two people I actually watch on a semi regular basis because they have pretty insightful reviews of cars. The same person has done many videos on electric cars, battery charging, and various issues with Tesla, even though he’s a great fan of the car and the company. pretty balanced imho.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would like to prepose a middle ground. Why don’t we blend all the EA charging issues into one thread rather than spread them everywhere?

And @thecoloradokid I would offer that strong attack and push back only begets the same. There are a lot of opinions on this thread, and many others have shared their successes and their belief that EA network is suitable for longer travel without trying to push down, discount, or attack the people who they don’t agree with.

I do agree we don’t need to cover the same topic in many different places, and it would be more useful that no matter how frustrated we are we don’t just keep saying the same things over and over again.

Btw that is not some “random” YouTube guy, he does very good and in-depth reviews, and he and Doug Murano or two people I actually watch on a semi regular basis because they have pretty insightful reviews of cars. The same person has done many videos on electric cars, battery charging, and various issues with Tesla, even though he’s a great fan of the car and the company. pretty balanced imho.

Edmund:

I totally agree with your idea of creating a single new thread where everyone can unload EA complaints. I would also suggest we create a thread on how to use an EA charger if that EA charger, or the Taycan, is not Plug and Play enabled.

There is a particular rhythm to getting the EA charging session initiated from the Charging app and it would be helpful for the forum members to share what works best for them. If the app doesn't fire up the session, then call EA for help. Don't call Porsche, they can't do squat to help you initiate a charging session at an EA location. These threads should be pinned at the top of the charging section.

In regards to the video, the guy certainly knows what he is talking about, but it is nothing new, or earth shattering. Youtube allows for any person with a GoPro or a phone to become an "expert" just because they can post a video. As I said, the person had some valid critiques of the EA network, but there is also plenty of evidence on Youtube of successful long range travel in a non-Tesla EV.

Honestly, I want to see the Youtube video where someone reviews EA network deficiencies, and then interviews seniors at Electrify America to provide updates on what is being done to address improvements. Everyone is a critic these days, but few people are providing the answers on how we make and fund improvements. For instance, I would like to understand why it takes EA 6 to 8 months, or longer, to get a new site launched? I understand construction time and permit timing, but if you coordinate these efforts shouldn't a site be able to be opened in 3 or 4 months? Also, I want to know further details on the expansion of the EA network. Why are there still gaps in major cross country corridors like I-25, I-80, I-40, and I-10? How does EA address charger maintenance/repair? Do they outsource support, have a small dedicated team that covers a specific region? Is there an internal SLA on charger site uptime? Or an SLA on repair timing? That is the video I want to see - someone interviewing EA to get answers like this.

Advancing technology is hard, and expensive. Creating infrastructure to support that technology is also hard, and expensive. I think people have lost sight of that in our instant gratification, "I want it now," world. I like what @daveo4EV shared in his other thread today, we should be patient with Porsche and EA while they address issues, but if there is not noticeable improvement in the next 6 to 8 months then it is time to decide what you want to do, stay and deal with the current environment, or jump ship.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you running winter tires on your car?

Are you planning on going more than 150 miles from your house any time soon and using the car to its potential?

Or are you just going to post cute details like this in threads on subjects you have no experience with? Since you have shared previously that you have never actually used an EA charger?

This is a fun game, John, until you get pants.
Nah, I'm gonna let a strong advocate and expert like you show us inexperienced amateurs the way. I, like others here, will try and absorb your colossal knowledge about the car and the charging infrastructure. I for one cannot "use the car to it's potential" like a seasoned veteran like yourself. Perhaps one day I can graduate to your level of superiority and strive to roam the country, charger to charger, in my Taycan 4S. But until that time comes, I will humbly follow an asshole like yourself and stare in awe.

With warm personal regards,

John

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nah, I'm gonna let a strong advocate and expert like you show us inexperienced amateurs the way. I, like others here, will try and absorb your colossal knowledge about the car and the charging infrastructure. I for one cannot "use the car to it's potential" like a seasoned veteran like yourself. Perhaps one day I can graduate to your level of superiority and strive to roam the country, charger to charger, in my Taycan 4S. But until that time comes, I will humbly follow an asshole like yourself and stare in awe.

With warm personal regards,

John

@John89 :

Follow away, my man!! I am an a$$hole that enjoys sharing my adventures and experiences with my Taycan.

Honestly, if you ever want to discuss tips on using the Electrify America charging network I am open to discussing with you. You have an amazing car, hopefully one day you will get to experience what it really can do going on a long road trip, or driving up and down an 11,000 mountain pass in Colorado.

No snark, just want you to enjoy your car and understand that the Electrify America network is mostly reliable, and can get you to most places you want to get to. Unless you want to go to Williston, North Dakota. You are pretty screwed if that is on your bucket list of places to visit in your Taycan.

If you make it to Denver, the first round is on me. And, if you make it in the summer I'll take you up Independence Pass. It is one of the more scenic drives in Colorado.

Cheers

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Honestly, I want to see the Youtube video where someone reviews EA network deficiencies, and then interviews seniors at Electrify America to provide updates on what is being done to address improvements.
How does EA address charger maintenance/repair? Do they outsource support, have a small dedicated team that covers a specific region? Is there an internal SLA on charger site uptime? Or an SLA on repair timing? That is the video I want to see - someone interviewing EA to get answers like this.
These suggestions make a lot of sense and pinpoint the issues being discussed from many angles here. How do EA supervise the state of the charger and SLA for repairs seem to be lacking. Can be done as shown by mobile cellular operators!
Porsche Taycan My First Public Charge @ Electrify America (EA) - Massive Fail! D5B7B9DB-EFF8-49C3-B397-CC4C587FEE6A

Regarding the time it takes between announcing a build out plan for a site, construct it and to open it, we have a few slow ones in Europe with Ionity as well. I guess permits, getting enough electricity and storage etc just takes time.

Some take over a year like Beaconsfield in the U.K.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I think what everyone can (and has to) agree is, that discussions like this should not be happening at all. Even if it is user error, the charging should not be that complicated for people to make mistakes that stop them from charging at all. This reminds me of the new Tesla M3s where people were experiencing extremely low charging rates and the fanboys replied with "well you should have known from research that you have to follow 123 steps to setup the battery". No manufacturer should be needing the customer to do their own research on how to properly use the product. Thats simply just a sign for a bad product.

Also I understand why people include Porsche with their hate for EA. We have here to admit (at least a little) that Porsche might have just depended on EA to deliver. In europe something similar happened with Ionity. Generally Ionity is working well, but has not delivered in terms of expanding enough. Audi/VW and Porsche already openly admitted that they are not happy with them and are thinking of building their own network of chargers. In my opinion that shouldve happened from day 1.

In general this is an international forum. And these days its been flooded with the EA topic. So consolidating them into one thread, and pinning it, would be a good idea. Make it to warn people but at the same time to inform people on how to deal with issues when trying to charge.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Generally Ionity is working well, but has not delivered in terms of expanding enough. Audi/VW and Porsche already openly admitted that they are not happy with them and are thinking of building their own network of chargers. In my opinion that shouldve happened from day 1.
Interesting that they are thinking to build their own? I did not know this? A bit surprising since the difference to the US is that they are still involved as owners of Ionity I believe? Not like in the US where it had to be at arms length distance.

I really hope that Porsche will live up to the promise that their Porsche dealers will have High Power Chargers installed. I know these could only be used during opening hours but would help a lot when travelling. Quite disappointed that the two Porsche dealers I have close by have not done so yet. And when asking them there is a lot of humming and having. This was promised by my sales guy before the purchase. But he has left now and gone to Ferrari! ?‍♂
Sponsored