OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
Great post re: Tesla and one pedal driving!!! Most people are horrible at using one pedal driving. It's extremely annoying seeing Teslas look like they're constantly "brake checking" people because they have no clue how much decel they're applying by letting off the pedal.
Reminds me of Vettel / Hamilton 2017 Azerbaijan F1. “he brake tested me!”
Sponsored

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
- one pedal driving is therefore more of a user interface choice than anything to do with braking. Personally I prefer the Tesla style but 99% of Porsche owners are too conservative to relearn how to brake so it simulates how an ICE car works :)
Have to largely disagree with that statement and I don't know that I would characterize it as "too conservative to learn...." either.

I had a Model S for 10 years, loved the so-called 'one-pedal' driving, lift-off regen I would call it, simulated engine-braking if you will -- but, if you are a driver who likes driving, like most P drivers, you need to use the disk brakes to stop the car. You stop much faster and with more control using a pedal than with lift-off regen braking. It just doesn't compare. It's a different operation with different results and uses.

I have adjustable engine braking on a race bike I ride, and it's nice to have to vary my input styles as I ride, but for real, high performance, riding, it almost doesn't matter. The actual mechanical brakes must be used fully for almost every turn.

So, while I wouldn't mind the ability to do reliable lift-off regen braking for everyday, less demanding easy-going driving (like the Tesla had), I wouldn't sacrifice real, big disk braking for it on this car. Not the experience I want driving it at all.

YMMV.

Bao1303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT 4S, BMW X5 45e, various bikes
Country flag
Very good point. I also adjust engine braking frequently based on style. For "aggressive" driving as you said you must be on the brakes all the time so doesn't really matter but for cruising or just a spirited "smooth" drive, adjusting with the throttle is nice, at least as a choice. I did have a long test drive in an I4 M50, and must say I liked their one pedal implementation - seemed adaptive - similar to driving an ICE on high revs. Really wouldnt mind at least having the option to choose a tad more engine brake on the Taycan as well. That said it works perfectly fine as is,

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are a number of things I'd love to comment on but the one that seems the be the gift that keeps on giving from anyone who's owned a Tesla is the damn one pedal driving. It cements the analysis I did 2 years ago when my Porsche dealer loaned me a Taycan 4S for a month while my Spyder cleared a port hold. Being a Tesla owner at the time, in addition to being a Porsche owner for over 45 years, they wanted an honest comparison. They felt it would help them better marketing the Taycan to understand how the customers mind works. I summed it up in a simple sentence:

"Tesla's are mobile technology platforms, Taycan's are a Porsche sedan with electric motors"

Keeping that in mind, Porsche has been adamant that one pedal driving will not be coming to a Taycan near you, ever, because it does not match the design criteria that is part of Porsche DNA. In that same vein, autonomous driving is an anathema to Porsche, it's just not why Porsche exists. They will seed that to VW or Audi and leave the Porsche brand for the enthusiasts who cherish the drive above all else.

For me, having owned Porsche sports cars for over 40 years and having their SUV and sedan variants on occasion I specified my Taycan 4S in a way that reflects what's important to someone like me. I did not check the box for adaptive cruise and by extension, innodrive. I did check the box for the performance package which includes
  • Rear Axle Steering incl. Power Steering Plus
  • Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport)
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)
  • Porsche Electric Sport Sound
I did also check the box for the Premium package but that's to scratch the luxury itch, it is a 6 figure sedan after all.
  • Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package (upgraded to 18 way Sport Seats)
  • BOSE® Surround Sound System
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA)
  • Ventilated Seats
  • Surround View
  • Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
  • Ionizer
So, for me, no one pedal driving, no significant driver assistance and the maximum performance and luxury capabilities make it the perfect sedan for a 65 year old Porsche fanatic.
Thanks for your detailed reply and writeup, it’s really appreciated. Sounds like a nicely spec’d Taycan to say the least. I like your summary comparison of the Taycan versus Tesla, it’s a good one. Some more are:

The Tesla is an iPhone on wheels
The Tesla model s is a family sedan that accelerates like a sports car. The Taycan is a sports car that happens to be powered by electric motors… or something along those lines.

Did you have Autopilot on your Tesla? As much as I love driving, on long trips. on long trips I have found autopilot to take the load off a s allow me to arrive a little less fatigued. That’s why I’m looking for innodrive and ACC/LKA.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks for your detailed reply and writeup, it’s really appreciated. Sounds like a nicely spec’d Taycan to say the least. I like your summary comparison of the Taycan versus Tesla, it’s a good one. Some more are:

The Tesla is an iPhone on wheels
The Tesla model s is a family sedan that accelerates like a sports car. The Taycan is a sports car that happens to be powered by electric motors… or something along those lines.

Did you have Autopilot on your Tesla? As much as I love driving, on long trips. on long trips I have found autopilot to take the load off a s allow me to arrive a little less fatigued. That’s why I’m looking for innodrive and ACC/LKA.
Folks at Tesla built a car around a computer. Porsche built a high-performance electric vehicle that happens to have a computer.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Folks at Tesla built a car around a computer. Porsche built a high-performance electric vehicle that happens to have a computer.
I don't agree with this.
It is true the Tesla has loads of marvellous tech, like fart cushion and fireplace software.

Porsche OTOH only has a power steering software which gives superb response and feel, effective active anti-roll bars, a rear wheel steering system developed to increase response at slow speed and stability at high speed (I know a lot of users see it just as a parking and manoeuvring aid), a very sporty stability control system which works very well (IMO).
Tesla doesn't do any of this car software as well IMO, however fancy the screen candy and auto stuff is.

Admittedly I write this as somebody who was happy to unlock their car with a key, and still would be, and am content with a radio for entertainment and use the phone for calling people :) so I can take or leave most of the bells and whistles.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
The Taycan is certainly a head-turner. I was on holiday last week (UK) and had people commenting and asking about it in car parks, asking to take pics, people double-taking when walking past, thumbs up...
Granted the little ol' Isle of Wight doesn't see many Taycans :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good morning everyone if you have the VIN does the Porsche site allow a query of what options are on the car? I think the build sheet expires after a year. The reason I ask is I found a nice turbo s at a non-Porsche dealer but of course they don’t know what’s on the car. “ I believe it’s a 2, speed, automatic, sir! It does have those beautiful carbon ceramic brakes with yellow calipers (those binders have a real presence) and surprisingly, it’s got a Burmester.

I found this site but it needs an account for the full list.

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AC2Y14MSA62275/

Last edited:

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Good morning everyone if you have the VIN does the Porsche site allow a query of what options are on the car? I think the build sheet expires after a year. The reason I ask is I found a nice turbo s at a non-Porsche dealer but of course they don’t know what’s on the car. “ I believe it’s a 2, speed, automatic, sir! It does have those beautiful carbon ceramic brakes with yellow calipers (those binders have a real presence) and surprisingly, it’s got a Burmester.

I was not able to find a free and easy to use decoder. As owners, we have the car in the My Porsche site and it has a really nice label printing feature but only for our own car. I would be interested to know if someone found an easy VIN decoder to see the list of features when looking up used Taycans.

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I found one:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vindecoder.php

Edit: actually, it’s not a great one at all. It doesn’t list the proper codes and it seems very general 👎

I was not able to find a free and easy to use decoder. As owners, we have the car in the My Porsche site and it has a really nice label printing feature but only for our own car. I would be interested to know if someone found an easy VIN decoder to see the list of features when looking up used Taycans.

mjw930

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, ‘21 Ridgeline (modded)
Country flag

Register and pay, it’s worth it if you’re shopping and there are no other sites that will give you the data they have.
Sponsored