andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
The turbo fit my desires well. If it hadn’t been available I likely would have gone with a 4S (If anyone at Porsche is listening).

There were a few things standard on the S that I didn’t want (PCCBs, etc).
Sponsored

Bstevens0633

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 and Land Rover Discovery
Country flag
My local dealer told me that the turbo will still be produced but they won’t have many allocations due to the fact that it shares the production facility with the Cross Turisma and that is their focus.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
My local dealer told me that the turbo will still be produced but they won’t have many allocations due to the fact that it shares the production facility with the Cross Turisma and that is their focus.
They're all being made in Zuffenhausen. I suspect this just means that they don't produce all variants at all times. With the introduction of the base model and the Cross Turismo, it's not surprising that they won't go to MY22 Turbos for quite a while. It's been barely six months since the last 2020 Turbos were produced.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think it's unlikely the Turbo will be 'discontinued'. The Turbo is arguably the best value, giving basically the same performance as the Turbo S for $35K less. And, look at these numbers if you're trying to provide the widest range of options for your customers - 80, 104, 151, 185. This price spread gives a wide range of options for Taycan buyers. Eliminating the 151 doesn't make any sense. What if your budget is 150? $35K over or $45K under aren't good options.

I may be missing something, since they did discontinue the Panamera Turbo and the above logic applies to that as well. They could decide to substitute the GTS at about the same price point...

Last edited:

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My question is whether/when they will drop the panamera line altogether. Why would anyone buy a panamera vs a Taycan? Range anxiety?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My question is whether/when they will drop the panamera line altogether. Why would anyone buy a panamera vs a Taycan? Range anxiety?
The hybrid Panamera is nice and it has some of the EV advantages without range anxiety. You can even equip it with a sport exhaust for when you want the feel of a sporty ICE.
Also fewer software bugs and better interior build quality without rattles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
themickd

themickd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2020 Macan S
Country flag
Someone at the dealership told me that Porsche is discontinuing the Turbo (base) model after MY21 due to low sales. Supposedly, they believe there's not enough differentiation between the 4S versus the Turbo, and Turbo versus the Turbo S. I can only speak to the former, which I somewhat agree with, but I haven't driven the Turbo S. Seems like they would have anticipated this... they're not dummies.

Regardless, has anyone else heard this? Personally, I preferred the Turbo model and had to option the hell out of my 4S to get it to the same level (and I believe options depreciate faster than base MSRP). But my 4S is still awaiting a $5 chip somewhere in the ether and I could be convinced to wait for MY22 Turbo.
Following up on my original post. I've now received conflicting information from the dealer I ordered my 4S. Though they do not currently have line of sight into their 2022 allocations, or so they say, they do expect there to be a 2022 Turbo. So, there's that. I'm still sticking with my 4S after much consternation. I'm on the "scheduled for production" phase but TYD appears to be down at the moment.
Sponsored