NEMA 14-50 Supply cable heat data

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
My internal CPU temperature is 183 degrees. Is this too hot?

Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 Supply cable heat data Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 10.33.42 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
84°C is no problem at all for a CPU.
The body of the unit got so hot, I was concerned about leaving it on and potentially causing a fire.

Then this happened.

Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 Supply cable heat data Error Messa
Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 Supply cable heat data Some 3 hours later

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The body of the unit got so hot, I was concerned about leaving it on and potentially causing a fire.
I see, hot to the touch or did you measure the temp?

Did you try to switch off the car/charger. Could get the charging going?

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I see, hot to the touch or did you measure the temp?

Did you try to switch off the car/charger. Could get the charging going?
I switched it off for an hour, and then overnight and in the morning, nothing was different. The error warning was still there and the car could not be charged.

It was very hot to the touch, I did not measure the temperature at the surface.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Picture below is from a PMCC unit delivery in April of 2021 with my 2021 Cayenne eHybrid - compare to picture in post #3 - label now states cable is rated for 15A/24A/40A usage - but is still 10 AWG wire according to embossed ratings on the wire insulation surface…

Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 Supply cable heat data IMG_0361

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
porsche clearly label this cable as providing 40 amps - and I'm going to guess it was made in Sept. of 2020 (my Cayenne was delivered in April of 2021 so this would track for manufacturing lead times)

Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 Supply cable heat data IMG_0362

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
but the Porsche provided supply cable is running 2x temp vs. the rest of the system
Just a minor nitpick of a pet peeve that I've seen throughout this thread:

There is no such things as, "2x temp" or "twice as hot" with °C or °F. For example, you might think 200°F is "twice as hot" as 100°F, but convert those two temperatures to Celsius and you get 93°C and 38°C respectively, which now seems "2.4 times as hot", and yet all you've done is changed the units? Curious...

This is because Celsius and Fahrenheit are "affine spaces", their origin (0°) is essentially arbitrary. Unlike Kelvin, where 0 is really 0, and you could put temperatures into relation like that, but if you need to do that you're probably a physicist or similar anyway.

Convert 200°F and 100°F to Kelvin to get 366K and 311K respectively. Which means that it's only 1.18x as hot, or 18% hotter instead of 100%.

You can say e.g. "100 degree hotter" though, that makes perfect sense. (Affine spaces are defined under addition, but not multiplication.)

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag
porsche clearly label this cable as providing 40 amps - and I'm going to guess it was made in Sept. of 2020 (my Cayenne was delivered in April of 2021 so this would track for manufacturing lead times)

IMG_0362.jpeg
Daveo4EV, Do you have any updates on Porsche’s possible solution other than reducing the charging power from 100% to 50%. I spoke to my dealer’s service manager about upgrading to the Clipper Creek or the Tesla unit that you recommended. I was told that using a charger other than a Porsche or Electrify America home charger would void our Taycan’s battery warranty. To your knowledge, is this true? Thanks

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I was told that using a charger other than a Porsche or Electrify America home charger would void our Taycan’s battery warranty. To your knowledge, is this true?
Covered ad nauseam.
Not true.
Exceptionally ridiculous statement.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Daveo4EV, Do you have any updates on Porsche’s possible solution other than reducing the charging power from 100% to 50%. I spoke to my dealer’s service manager about upgrading to the Clipper Creek or the Tesla unit that you recommended. I was told that using a charger other than a Porsche or Electrify America home charger would void our Taycan’s battery warranty. To your knowledge, is this true? Thanks
what @Jhenson29 said - Porsche can say what ever they want and you can decide if you want to remain a customer. If what they say is true that means the Taycan can not use _ANY_ public (hotel, mall, retail establishment, golf course, airport, train station) L2/AC charger and the _ONLY_ options for charing your vehicle is an EA DC charger _OR_ Porsche/EA L2 chargers when away from home…

Some dealership don't even have Porsche EVSE's installed for their own use.

again I can not control Porsche voiding your warranty or not - that is NOT my call…

but think about it…how is your car supposed to roam beyond it's 200 mile range if you can't use non Porsche EVSE's (DC or AC)…

it's your call.

also EVSE's are _NOT_ in fact chargers - they are Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment - they are simply power switches (honest & true) that either let the "raw" grid power flow or not flow - they are more water valve and less water filter - the actual "charger" (AC to DC converter) is the 11/19.2 kW device inside the vehilce that converts the raw AC power coming into the vehicle to what ever DC voltage is required to actually charge the battery. None of these EVSE's (including Porsche's) do anything to the power - they are power switches - power flows or does not flow -that's their only contribution.

Porsche cay say or do anything they want with regards to your warranty - so I can NOT advise you as to what Porsche will or will not do. If what they say is true I would choose to purchase my EV from someone else - because beyond your driveway there are more than just Porsche EVSE's and EA fast DC EVSE's - and not being able to use other vendor's EVSE's is simply too restricting for the the product to be useful - _IF_ Porsche chooses to pursue this sort of warranty enforcement - well then their EV business would be fairly useless…and I'd (and a lot of others) would need to consider EV's from companies that don't have such restrictions.

their statement means you can not use anyone else's EVSE _EVER_ without voiding your warranty…hmmm - I'm supposed to travel with the vehicle how?

the warrant specifies the "charger" - if that is true - the actual "charger" is the factory provided module inside your vehicle - I would agree with them voiding the warranty if you did not use a Porsche "charger" - the module inside the vehicle…but to my knowledge the warranty says _NOTHING_ about using a non Porsche EVSE (PMC+/PMCC or EA Fast DC charger).

Ask your dealer if using EVGo FastDC charger or ChargePoint FactDc charger will void the warranty? And what you're supposed to do to charge the vehicle some place where that is your only available option?

dealer's infuriate me and they are simply sooooo stupid. Porsche simply doesn't want to admit they screwed up and their EVSE is crap…

if what your dealership says is true I'd return the vehicle for a full refund because it's a useless EV if you have to roam the world using only Porsche/EA chargers - there is NO EA in canada- can you not drive the vehicle to canada and use their Fast Chargers with out voiding the warranty?

dealer BS - but again Porsche can do anything they want with _THEIR_ warranty - and we can choose to continue to be customers…it's a delicate balance

I don't control if porsche will or will not void your warranty because you use a ClipperCreek EVSE on Friday Harbor's island…if that's true - this bad boy voided their warranty the other day…that is NOT a Porsche EVSE it's using - and I think it might be safe to say there is not a single Porsche EVSE on this entire island!!

Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 Supply cable heat data IMG_1653

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seriously, consider finding a different dealer for service.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is plugshare for Allen Texas - take this screen shot into yoru Dealer and ask them which of the charger's listed you're allowed to use just to make sure…I'm pretty sure none of these EVSE's are Porsche EVSE's - so your dealer is saying you (and all other Taycan and by induction future Macan EV owners) can not use _ANY_ of the charger's listed for all of Allen Texas…

get a list of allowed charging locations from your dealership that will not void the warranty - for non DC fast cahrging - which hotels, restaurants, malls, golf course, airports, car service shops, govt. rest stop (caltrans in california has serveral rest stop eVSE's) - and where in canada you're allowed to charge your vehicle?

Porsche Taycan NEMA 14-50 Supply cable heat data IMG_1787

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this is such an amazingly stupid statement - I can't even…

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  1. if true get his in writing from PCNA
  2. ask them to define the term "charger"
  3. ask them if you can drive the vehilce in canada where there are _NO_ Electrify America fast DC chargers?
  4. get them to provide list of acceptable charging locations in North America (AC/DC) where the warranty will not be voided.
  5. ask them why PCM Navigation shows non-EA and non-Porsche EVSE's on the vehilcle's navigation may as potential charging locations? So Porsche's own navigation is guiding you to charging locations that will "void the warranty".
ClipperCreek/Tesla's products are _NOT_ charger's - they are EVSE's

but getting porsche to put this restriction "in writing" would give you/us legal cause to demand refunds for teh vehicle's because if they are truly restricting the use of EVSE's (AC/DC) then the product is misrepresented

I'm also unaware of any such restrictions of EVSE use in Europe where Prosche encourages/markets the use of multiple fast charging networks…including the supercharger network and Ionity and other's.

OMG - I'm sooo mad at Porsche right now - this is sooooo bad, their charing game is sooooo weak.

and dealers are just soooo bad - so stupid.
Sponsored

Last edited: