W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Correct. Direct charging is at home. Left port doesn’t get a charging error but right one does on the app but neither charges to the profile/timer. Porsche is trying to figure out why.
Ok. I'll ponder some more - most peculiar indeed.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I switch to the other port. It didn’t get a charging error but it also didn’t charge at all last night. Dealer said to delete the profile and timer and start again. I did but nothing changed. Thoughts?
Just to review:
Left PortRight Port
Direct ChargeOkError
Profile/TimerDoesn’t ChargeError

Is this correct?

Any difference between the ports would point to an issue with the car (not 100%, but very likely).

Are you creating the profiles in the app or the car? Try in-car if you haven’t already.

I don’t think you’ve stated if the profile is preferred times or optimized. Can you let us know that also? I would try optimized if you haven’t already.

Also, you do have any other EVSE to try?

Last edited:

Cdeedee

First Name
CD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi all. Owner of a 2020 4S since July 2021 (purchased used with ~4k miles, now at ~7.5k miles). No charging issues from me (aside from the occasional temperamental EA charger at the most convenient Target nearby). I've used the timer/profile to charge overnight with no issues. About a week ago I woke up to a Charging Error message in the new My Porsche app.

I found the charger had a Software Update message when I went to investigate. Direct Charging was fine immediately after but I couldn't get the Charging Error message to clear in the app.

Last evening was my next attempt at an overnight charge, the Charging Error was still present as the charging was waiting to start. I woke up early in the morning and checked status and the car was charging. Charging completed to 85% overnight.

The Charging Error is now cleared. The only action i took was to disconnect the charger last evening for ~5 minutes prior to setting up the charge. I didn't reset factory settings. When I plugged it back in, settings were retained so I'm not sure if the action made any difference.

I'll continue to monitor.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Had the same issue 2X just this past week. At home the car will not charge to desired SOC with timer and/or profile set. (80%) First time: 64%. Second time: 74%. Second time was yesterday and I left it plugged in because I wasn't leaving the property and this morning it was at 79%.

We'll see if the latest update resolves this. (April appt.)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Because if the charger simply stops charging, it is viewed from the car the same way as if no power is currently available. It can only show an error, if such an error state is provided. An error in IEC61851/J1772 is only state information communicated between the EV and EVSE, it never provides a reason.
Right, but no power in the middle of charging shouldn’t normally happen. If the EVSE wants to end the charge from its end, there should be a way to stop/reduce the load prior to opening the contactor, similar to the proximity signal. I don’t know if it does this or not. Control pilot to indicate EVSE not ready?

But there’s no reason to open a contactor under an 80A load if you don’t have to. I do something similar with drives if braking resistor thermostats trip. I signal the drive to stop first and then open a contactor, so it isn’t opening under load. Redundant safety contactors in CAT III/IV circuits get staged precisely to keep one operating under no load. If the only way an EVSE can end a charging session is to open its contactor under load, something’s missing.

So, assuming the EVSE has a means of stopping/reducing load independent of the contactor, the state information should exist independently on the car’s end. There wouldn’t be a loss of power independent of a request to stop except in a error condition. That said, I don’t know what the car would do with the information, other than alert the user.

In any case, I tested and the car does not fault when power is removed during charging, so the fault I saw on my car must have been related to the same fault on my EVSE. So I stand corrected.
Sponsored