OP
Schn3ll

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera e-hybrid, 2018 Carrera T, 2012 Volt
Country flag
Spec looks good - seems to have most of the essentials. I'd add ACC personally, since it's a necessity for a daily driver use in stop and go traffic. But noticing you're living in SC, maybe less traffic so not as useful. Still might be helpful for resale - if I was in the market I'd rule out any non-ACC cars

14 vs 18 way, I had the same debate and tried both. Ended up going 14 way - at 6'2 I've got slightly wider shoulders and didn't like how the 18 ways pushed my shoulders forward. Yes it's supportive but didn't feel as comfortable as the 14 way for me if I'm just commuting. Otherwise I'm also slimmer, so didn't feel any huge difference in the rest of the bolstering.

Note I didn't get to actually test drive with both, just the 14 way which felt fine, so I couldn't tell you how much more lateral support the 18 ways would have in cornering. I found the 14 ways were sufficient for me, given I'll be using mine as a daily and have another car for more focused cornering
I hear you on that, but I have hardly any traffic ever to compete with - one of the main things I do not miss about living in San Diego. I honestly don't think I would ever use it and hard for me to justify worrying about resale now...

I am 6' and 185 and athletic with pretty wide shoulders too. I'll keep hounding my dealer to sit in some as soon as he gets one in.
Sponsored

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
- Compass vs. sport chrono clock (I am a watch guy so I love the analog, but the compass is a rare option and I like the functionality) anyone have experience with it?
Compass.
it’s not just a compass, time and altitude is also on a display.

soul.electrified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 4S convertible, LX570, CT4 (pending)
Country flag
My $0.02: The constant movement of the compass would probably annoy me... Went with the standard sport chrono...

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Chrono vs kompass, can be annoying to have the kompass wheel constantely spinning as you drive?
I have it and i don;t notice spinning at all.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
- Compass vs. sport chrono clock (I am a watch guy so I love the analog, but the compass is a rare option and I like the functionality) anyone have experience with it?
I like it on my Cayenne (particularly for the altitude reading) and have spec'ed it for my CT.
(I wouldn't have thought it any more of a distraction than a constantly sweeping second hand)

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
I personally don't quite like the slate grey interior color. Feels a little bit cheap. Full disclaimer: I haven't seen it in person and my only reference is the pic here: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/chalk-taycan-club.2642/page-7#post-40457

Also to add to other people's comments on the high gloss black theme, door handles in high gloss black might be worth considering. Easy to notice and not too expensive (well, by Porsche's standard).

OP
OP
Schn3ll

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I personally don't quite like the slate grey interior color. Feels a little bit cheap. Full disclaimer: I haven't seen it in person and my only reference is the pic here: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/chalk-taycan-club.2642/page-7#post-40457

Also to add to other people's comments on the high gloss black theme, door handles in high gloss black might be worth considering. Easy to notice and not too expensive (well, by Porsche's standard).
Agreed and that's my fear as well. I feel that some of the trim/carpet/leather in the gray is not a 100% match to one another. Whereas the black is black, albeit very stark... But I'm used to black leather Porsche's (911 and Panamera's both have black). Tough call.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Agreed and that's my fear as well. I feel that some of the trim/carpet/leather in the gray is not a 100% match to one another. Whereas the black is black, albeit very stark... But I'm used to black leather Porsche's (911 and Panamera's both have black). Tough call.
I have a Mamba Green CT4 that should be built this summer. I got the black leather interior and added the external color on the doors. I forget the name of the option but it’s a great way to break up the black and bring the Mamba Green to the inside of the vehicle. I think it was a $1000 option. Expensive for what it is but well…

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hi All,

I just put a deposit down last week and put my order in for a CT4. Sold my 991.2 Carrera T about 3 months ago due to the need for a practical, 1-car solution. Looked high and low at other options, had a deposit on a new M3 but dealer was jerking me around with ADM, looked at CT5V Blackwing (impossible to find), looked at Tesla Model S (sat in one and it felt cheap and they are ubiquitous) - and I looked at my history and love for Porsche and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be happy with anything less. My wife drives a Panamera e-Hybrid and 95% of the time doesn't use any gas (plus 3 of our last 4 car purchases were plug-in hybrids, full EV feels like a next logical step especially with gas prices right now).

So... I decided on a CT4, primarily because I want to keep the budget under $125k. I'd love a GTS but that would be more than I really want to spend and my dealer has 5 people on the list right now. CT4 has no one waiting right now so I could conceivably get my car in 8 months (maybe?). And part of me couldn't justify the premium for the 4S when the hardware is identical to the 4 - I know of at least one company working on new software to provide a power bump.

So, here's my spec as it sits and I do have a few questions for owners: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPHSFFF8

- 18-way vs. 14-way? My 911 had the carbon bucket seats aka torture devices, and I want comfort and ease of egress but I still like sporty seats. Is it worth it and is comfort sacrificed with these? Is it just the seat-back that changes?
- Satin black vs. gloss black wheels - I have really not seen any satin finish wheels that I can think of and I worry about damaging the finish with cleaners but I think it looks best with the textured wheel arches vs. gloss and I don't like how gloss finish wheels tend to make the design disappear
- Interior color - I have black but wondering if slate grey would be better to lighten it up inside. Did anyone go through this dilemma?

Thanks!
I went with the compass. Doesn’t make a big difference either way but I find the compass to be more novel than the chrono clock.
If you care about comfort and egress go 14 way for sure….unless you are a bit of a contortionist.
I wouldn’t go with black wheels as they always look dirty but if I had to, I would go satin. This is lessons learned from a previous Porsche with black wheels.,
I like to lighten the interior a bit so I would go grey. Black is nice too…especially the optional black.

Lastly, you should really consider whether or not you would be happy with a CT4…when coming from a 911. CT4 exists for budgetary reasons…not for performance. The 911 (even in its most basic form) still offers considerable performance. Be conscious in your decision to forego performance Is my guidance here.

OP
OP
Schn3ll

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I went with the compass. Doesn’t make a big difference either way but I find the compass to be more novel than the chrono clock.
If you care about comfort and egress go 14 way for sure….unless you are a bit of a contortionist.
I wouldn’t go with black wheels as they always look dirty but if I had to, I would go satin. This is lessons learned from a previous Porsche with black wheels.,
I like to lighten the interior a bit so I would go grey. Black is nice too…especially the optional black.

Lastly, you should really consider whether or not you would be happy with a CT4…when coming from a 911. CT4 exists for budgetary reasons…not for performance. The 911 (even in its most basic form) still offers considerable performance. Be conscious in your decision to forego performance Is my guidance here.

Noted on performance. I need to try a base car, but honestly 99% of my driving is cruising and commuting. Performance is a little lost on me nowadays - never thought I would say that. And I think our recent idea of performance is very skewed, the base CT4 would beat supercars from 30 years ago. I like to have fun but I don't think I'll be missing out too much - plus Taycan tunes are on the horizon (the 4 has the same exact hardware as the 4S) :)

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Noted on performance. I need to try a base car, but honestly 99% of my driving is cruising and commuting. Performance is a little lost on me nowadays - never thought I would say that. And I think our recent idea of performance is very skewed, the base CT4 would beat supercars from 30 years ago. I like to have fun but I don't think I'll be missing out too much - plus Taycan tunes are on the horizon (the 4 has the same exact hardware as the 4S) :)
I think it would be more accurate to say that the cars have similar hardware. They are not exactly the same. Given that most Porsche drivers (especially 911 owners) don’t have the skill to push their cars to the limit anyway/or choose not to, actual performance may not be the issue. It may be more about the feeling you get when you are driving something that is base from a power/spec standpoint. This doesn’t matter to many but could matter to a former 911 owner since they have previously been willing to pay the Porsche tax for the prestige and perception that comes along with ownership.

OP
OP
Schn3ll

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it would be more accurate to say that the cars have similar hardware. They are not exactly the same. Given that most Porsche drivers (especially 911 owners) don’t have the skill to push their cars to the limit anyway/or choose not to, actual performance may not be the issue. It may be more about the feeling you get when you are driving something that is base from a power/spec standpoint. This doesn’t matter to many but could matter to a former 911 owner since they have previously been willing to pay the Porsche tax for the prestige and perception that comes along with ownership.
I owned a “base” 911 and probably pushed it harder than most. I never had trouble keeping up with my friends in GT3’s or GTS’s in the mountains. Power masks poor driving skills and while I won’t be taking my Taycan to road Atlanta, I think it will be plenty for what I need it for and the random mountain drives.

BurntToast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986 944 turbo and 2022 Taycan GTS (soon)
Country flag
Sorry, I should have added that if you go with the gray interior then remove the Neodyme accents as I don't think they will look as good with the gray as they do with the black interior.
If you go gray add the dark silver accent.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
I owned a “base” 911 and probably pushed it harder than most. I never had trouble keeping up with my friends in GT3’s or GTS’s in the mountains. Power masks poor driving skills and while I won’t be taking my Taycan to road Atlanta, I think it will be plenty for what I need it for and the random mountain drives.
Just got back from the Porsche Experience Center in LA. Did the Taycan Turbo S driving experience because… why not? 90 minutes of Porsche performance goodness! Great day out with my generous son who gifted it to me.

Thought I was risking a giant downer coming home to my CT4. Didn't happen. While I appreciate everything that car can do, most of it is wasted on me in the real world. The car I drove was absolutely loaded with equipment; rear axle steering, carbon ceramic brakes, PDCC, stupid levels of quick, etc. All those features made it great on a closed course with a professional driver, but all too much for me on the road as a daily driver.

Funny, all that performance and I was left absolutely lusting after the chalk deviated stitching on the black leather seats. Magnificent!
Sponsored