[North America] - Porsche Official Charging Related Porsche NTSB Article - analysis

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@daveo4EV David -- I called PCNA today, and they said that 'WMP2' doesn't show-up for my 2022 CT4...does that mean my PMCC (the $1,120 EVSE) isn't software limited to 50%? I bought the Tesla J1772 home (hardwired) EVSE, but I want to go after PCNA and open a claim...to see if I can squeeze anything out of them. I took delivery 8/2022 lol. Was my PMCC already limited to 50% once I took delivery, hence no need for the WMP2 campaign?

I'd appreciate your guidance! Thank you for being an awesome resource on here :)
I don't know because some portion of the WMP2 is a vehicle service visit and some portion is the updating of the PMC+/PMCC - the actual software update (version 3014 if I'm not mistaken) was only delivered via OTA update to the PMCC for about 2 or 3 weeks before it was removed - therefore it's all very very muddy as to what 50% enforcement would be in place for any given PMCC unit given different delivery dates and OTA updates…

with out inspection of an actual unit there is no way to tell if any given unit is restricted to 50% by default…

Porsche has subsequently claimed the software version 3014 and it's enforcement of 50% charge rate after a power-cycle/sleep-cycle was an unintentional bug and that is why the OTA update was pulled…

it's possible to untangle this Gordon knot but it takes some work to navigate all the various variables.
Sponsored

ssim

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 GT4 RS; Panamera 4S; Cayenne E-Hybrid
Country flag
I don't know because some portion of the WMP2 is a vehicle service visit and some portion is the updating of the PMC+/PMCC - the actual software update (version 3014 if I'm not mistaken) was only delivered via OTA update to the PMCC for about 2 or 3 weeks before it was removed - therefore it's all very very muddy as to what 50% enforcement would be in place for any given PMCC unit given different delivery dates and OTA updates…

with out inspection of an actual unit there is no way to tell if any given unit is restricted to 50% by default…

Porsche has subsequently claimed the software version 3014 and it's enforcement of 50% charge rate after a power-cycle/sleep-cycle was an unintentional bug and that is why the OTA update was pulled…

it's possible to untangle this Gordon knot but it takes some work to navigate all the various variables.
Ahh....I see. Is it fair to say that Porsche recommends charging at 50% anyways? Regardless of PMCC software version, vehicle, whether they've software limited the unit themselves, or if I have the ability to manually adjust to a different amperage?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this is the most official statements from Porsche on this topic - as to what portion of these recommendations are enforced vs voluntary compliance is a shifting situation…

these are the two documents that are official documents from Porsche on the topic of charging - I would be hard pressed to state anything not covered in these two documents is "official" recommendations from Porsche - unless it's mentioned/quoted from the Taycan Ownership or PMC+/PMCC manuals…or a Porsche service campaign document.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10222530-0001.pdf
ttps://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10231403-0001.pdf

ssim

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this is the most official statements from Porsche on this topic - as to what portion of these recommendations are enforced vs voluntary compliance is a shifting situation…

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10222530-0001.pdf
What an absolute cluster....

In any case, I opened up a file with PCNA. A regional manager would get back to me in about a week, I just want to be armed with the best information.

The PCNA rep today was adamant about WMP2 not being applicable to my car (she said WNK1 was, and my dealer already did that), but as I understand it, the PMCC hasn't changed at all...so I'd want to follow the Porsche 50% guidelines anyways per the bulletin you just mentioned.

If I get anywhere with my PCNA case, I'll make sure to update accordingly!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What an absolute cluster....

In any case, I opened up a file with PCNA and she said a regional manager would get back to me in about a week. She was adamant about WMP2 not being applicable to my car (she said WNK1 was, and my dealer already did that), but as I understand it, the PMCC hasn't changed at all...so I'd want to follow the Porsche 50% guidelines anyways.

If I get anywhere with my PCNA case, I'll make sure to update accordingly!
please review this thread…it may accelerate your approach - YMMV

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...t-unless-u-r-retired.13424/page-2#post-201306

ssim

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
An update from PCNA: "When researching the case and the WMP2 recall that was issued on some vehicles, the Taycan was not found to be affected by this campaign. The Taycan can be charged at full power as long as the correct outlet is installed within the charging area."

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
An update from PCNA: "When researching the case and the WMP2 recall that was issued on some vehicles, the Taycan was not found to be affected by this campaign. The Taycan can be charged at full power as long as the correct outlet is installed within the charging area."
WMP2 on nhtsa site still says it applies to the Taycan. So they issued a recall to a recall now, for any Taycan that had WMP2? Did they give you the recall ID and/or link to nhtsa for it?

ssim

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
WMP2 on nhtsa site still says it applies to the Taycan. So they issued a recall to a recall now, for any Taycan that had WMP2? Did they give you the recall ID and/or link to nhtsa for it?
I believe she was referring to my particular Taycan, as she has the VIN. My car wasn’t chosen for the WMP2 campaign (details of which were posted earlier on this thread).

I hypothesized that my car didn’t need WMP2 because it was delivered with a charger already set to 50% max.

I haven’t decide if I want to poke them further lol

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I believe she was referring to my particular Taycan, as she has the VIN. My car wasn’t chosen for the WMP2 campaign (details of which were posted earlier on this thread).

I hypothesized that my car didn’t need WMP2 because it was delivered with a charger already set to 50% max.

I haven’t decide if I want to poke them further lol
Lol. It made me wonder whether or not the PMC+ which came with my car in February has the WMP2 applied (I never bothered to unpack it as I have no plans to use it - put a 40A Tesla Mobile Connector + TeslaTap Mini in the car instead, takes up less space and weighs less). Yep, mine came with the limit applied, and the "using this charger at 100% may burn your hand and/or start a fire" warning sticker.
Porsche Taycan [North America] - Porsche Official Charging Related Porsche NTSB Article - analysis 1681249801232

I had a glimmer of hope that instead they would have shipped new cars with a thicker cable which won't require fire warnings, but apparently sticker is cheaper.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You were actually mentioned in one of the footnotes, but the linked to page didn't seem to exist.
actually reading the whole thing and all the footnotes - we are all over that legal document - it's largely lifted directly from the various conversations on this forum - doh...

will be interesting to see how this goes.

Last edited:

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
You were actually mentioned in one of the footnotes, but the linked to page didn't seem to exist.
Yeah, looks like I made the list too! Will be interesting to watch. If Porsche had just resisted the urge to re-use 918 Spyder parts, much of this mess could have been avoided. Happily, I run my ClipperCreek HCS60 at 60 amps all day long with exactly ZERO issues and no discernible heat!
Sponsored