[North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I'll find it when I'm home and not in the middle of Drake's passage with minimal internet - but it was basically inconsequential on an annual basis.
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'll find it when I'm home and not in the middle of Drake's passage with minimal internet - but it was basically inconsequential on an annual basis.
So tell us: Can your MyPorsche app connect to your Taycan from there?

Fair winds and following seas.

The Drake Passage is considered one of the most treacherous voyages for ships to make. Currents at its latitude meet no resistance from any landmass, and waves top 40 feet (12 m), hence its reputation as "the most powerful convergence of seas".[1]

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
so far so good - the passage over wasn't too bad - it's a bit rougher coming back now (after 4-5 days in Antartica) - but according to the crew this is on the "nicer" end of how bad it can get - but the ship does toss & turn a bit and sometimes we feel a deep and abiding shudder as a good swell meets the ship's bow…

it could be smoother no doubt - but again according to the crew it's closer to a 3 or 4 in terms of roughness (1 being smooth - 10 being bat-sh*t rough - and 6-7 being common)

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
so far so good - the passage over wasn't too bad - it's a bit rougher coming back now (after 4-5 days in Antartica) - but according to the crew this is on the "nicer" end of how bad it can get - but the ship does toss & turn a bit and sometimes we feel a deep and abiding shudder as a good swell meets the ship's bow…

it could be smoother no doubt - but again according to the crew it's closer to a 3 or 4 in terms of roughness (1 being smooth - 10 being bat-sh*t rough - and 6-7 being common)
Interesting that you are on one of the Antarctic cruises as wife and I had been looking/planning this for potentially next Jan or Feb - we were looking at a Norwegian operation with a scientific bent sailing out of Ushuaia, Argentina.

How did your company handle onshore visits and were you able to get onshore most if not every day there? Seems like a logistical challenge for these operations to handle a fairly large group of passengers wanting to get onshore - multiple staged trips back and forth each day etc? Have not enquired of the line I was looking at yet but since you've just been there thought i'd ask :)!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting that you are on one of the Antarctic cruises as wife and I had been looking/planning this for potentially next Jan or Feb - we were looking at a Norwegian operation with a scientific bent sailing out of Ushuaia, Argentina.

How did your company handle onshore visits and were you able to get onshore most if not every day there? Seems like a logistical challenge for these operations to handle a fairly large group of passengers wanting to get onshore - multiple staged trips back and forth each day etc? Have not enquired of the line I was looking at yet but since you've just been there thought i'd ask :)!
we should talk - happy to share our experiences - I'll be back after the 25th - we've learned much.

let's PM and arrange a time if you're interested.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
we should talk - happy to share our experiences - I'll be back after the 25th - we've learned much.

let's PM and arrange a time if you're interested.
Sounds good - most appreciated and look forward to it,
Cheers, C.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag

When I crossed the Drake in December is was unseasonably smooth both ways. "Drake Lake". Sunny too. I wasn't complaining!

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Reverting to 20amp was just a bug according to this official service document.

I disabled the sleep mode from the web application interface, it never reverted to 20amp.
Has there been any updates as to when ‘bug’ will be corrected with new firmware?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has there been any updates as to when ‘bug’ will be corrected with new firmware?
to my knowledge porsche has not released an update that undoes the 20 amp limit with version 3014 - porsche has stopped distributing software version 3014 - it is no longer available

so that means the entire fleet/collection of PMCC's are broken into two categories
  1. units with version 3014 that have the "20 amp" bug - where they default to 20 amps if they are power cycled - which porsche claims was an unintentional bug in the 3014 release
  2. un-updated units on some other prior version of software that do not have the "20 amp" bug - but still have the physical problem of potential high temperatures w/power supply cable when run at a full 40 amps.
i have put my two PMCC’s away and they are offline

maybe @AndiL has more facts

honestly @DerekS solution or similar is the best approach

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
to my knowledge porsche has not released an update that undoes the 20 amp limit with version 3014 - porsche has stopped distributing software version 3014 - it is no longer available

so that means the entire fleet/collection of PMCC's are broken into two categories
  1. units with version 3014 that have the "20 amp" bug - where they default to 20 amps if they are power cycled - which porsche claims was an unintentional bug in the 3014 release
  2. un-updated units on some other prior version of software that do not have the "20 amp" bug - but still have the physical problem of potential high temperatures w/power supply cable when run at a full 40 amps.
i have put my two PMCC’s away and they are offline

maybe @AndiL has more facts

honestly @DerekS solution or similar is the best approach
Yep, I have the 20 amp ‘bug’. So to keep going down the rabbit hole, does 3014 correct the melting receptacle issue? Not looking forward to replacing current Leviton with the newly purchased Hubbell. Was a pita the first time around.

Have inspected plug and current receptacle and shows no sign if thermal fatigue.
Sponsored