Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Based on responses from members my porsche dealer gave me wrong info regarding the recall. Dealer told me only some cars would be updated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am at my dealer while they replace my Porsche dashcam. Spoke with shop mgr who explained the following:
Only certain taycans will receive the software update to fix the car losing power. Only some cars require the update- they expect the update to take 4-8 hrs depending on server crashes and the update adversely affecting other systems. Most software problems affect 4 s models due fact the software for the 4 s is different than the other taycan models. Shop mgr said he has told porsche this makes no sense since pcm etc same in all models. Porsche never gave him a good reason for different software with the 4 s
You should find another dealer that does not make up stories.
There is no evidence of 4S being any special for this bug. The official recall documents include all models. Owners of Turbos have reported power loss issues here.

I think there are two kinds of updates/remedies based on which software version your car has. The two possibilities are

1) Cars with WMA5/6 already installed will get only their PE and DME modules updated. This takes 60-90 minutes and most of the time is spent to check the car in/out and road test after the update. Some owners including my self already had this update.

2) Cars without the WMA5/6 update (i.e. older software) will not receive individual PE and DME updates. Instead they will receive WMA5/6 which internally include the latest PE and DME versions. WMA5/6 update takes anywhere from 1 to 3 days.

If you look in page 6 of the official recall doc it says
"Apart from this recall remedy, additional powertrain software will be updated to the latest specification."
This is what makes me believe that cars without WMA will receive it as part of the recall. I think Porsche is using this recall as an opportunity to bing every 2020 and 2021 car in the latest software version so they don't have to maintain the old one. If you have worked in a company where you had to maintain multiple release branches you would understand why this is a great idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Thanks. I agree i am not sure who to believe dealer, news reports. Wish porsche would better communicate with owners

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Everybody needs to wait until the actual recall happens in August, and then you can see if your car's VIN is in the list...

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Shop mgr said he has told porsche this makes no sense since pcm etc same in all models. Porsche never gave him a good reason for different software with the 4 s
Wow. This guy is an idiot. Of course the software is going to differ on a 4S vs an RWD. And the infotainment system has nothing to do with drive electronics!

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Porsche taycan is based on docker which is containers programmed by each supplier to feed into a central management system

each container is different with different code for each individual part that needs to feed in control information. Therefore software can be as different as the mechanicals between this vehicles depending on suppliers.

this is why the taycan control platform is so unstable and untestable. They’ve made a complete unmanageable mess.

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poverty Spec Taycan 4S 21'
Country flag
Everybody needs to wait until the actual recall happens in August, and then you can see if your car's VIN is in the list...
I wonder where this puts me, my car was made on the 'last day' June 25th of potential cars affected by the recall (Production Dates : SEP 21, 2020 - JUN 25, 2021). I won't get it until first week of August. Hoping it will get done before it gets delivered to me. I'll probs ask about it a week before it arrives to the dealer to see what their gameplan is.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche taycan is based on docker which is containers programmed by each supplier to feed into a central management system

each container is different with different code for each individual part that needs to feed in control information. Therefore software can be as different as the mechanicals between this vehicles depending on suppliers.

this is why the taycan control platform is so unstable and untestable. They’ve made a complete unmanageable mess.
This is the case with the PCM, but the control modules in the rest of the car run on a super-skinny RTOS or simple embedded micro-code.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is true. If you look at this document, not all VIN numbers are included:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V486-3851.PDF

Various reasons may include prior updates, production date and installed components/software, etc. For example, some prior cars got the AMB5 stop-sale update, but that did not apply to all cars.
So my VIN is literally 45640, (start 40064-45643) which is the 4th to last Taycan 4S produced with the Bug :D, since mine was made on June 25th. Just got my VIN from the dealer. Was almost out of the woods.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag

You give a clear view of the architecture of the software setup of the Taycan. Docker technology is very good in running many software modules(https://www.docker.com/) developed by different development teams without influencing each other, so I don't understand your conclusion that it is the reason for being unstable, untestable and being a complete unmanageable mess.

If all software modules(developed by different development teams) would run in one big monolithic system, they could have unpredictable influence on each other and then your statement of being unstable, untestable and an unmanageable would most likely be true.

I have a request open to Porsche to be able to develop applications for the Taycan. Most likely it will be denied, but one can ask and hope :)

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All, just noticed they took this recall off of their website (for now). I wonder if some politics were involved in the information being released a bit too early.

It's weird it used to show 3 recalls for the Taycan, now it only shows 2, but you can still google for the document using: 21V-486

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
UK Porsche web site Vehicle recall checker reveals this for my Nov'20 4S

Porsche Taycan Nsta recall? 1626086514076
Sponsored