Odd noice from AC or battery?

BliXem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
I had the same problem like this, but in my case it was another sound, but they fixed it after replacing the whole fan because a little rock had damaged the fan. So I think it's a small asfalt rock...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I had the same problem like this, but in my case it was another sound, but they fixed it after replacing the whole fan because a little rock had damaged the fan. So I think it's a small asfalt rock...
Yes, I suspect it is similar cause even if the sound in our cases was different. The air intake on Taycan is rather low, so I’ll stay off rocky roads. In both cases it seems like the fix was an easy task, handled Porsche like: professionally :like:

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Have any of you other Taycan owners experienced the same noice as on this video? I suspect it might be from the aircondition of some kind of, when working with the temp. It could also be something when cooling or heating the battery. It was quite loud, so I wanted to hear with you guys. Any idea or suggestions? Thanx!

EDIT: The car is in for a minor fix on Monday 31/8-20 at Porsche Center, so I make sure they will check this issue simultaneously. I´ll drop a feedback and/or solution from the workshop later, on this post.

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This noise is from the battery cooling fans positioned each side, if you look into the front of the wheel arch you will see a grill and all the road muck gets sent into this grill which builds up and seizes the fans after a few months. This at present is not being recognised by Porsche as a warranty issue as they say it is caused by outside influence (bull sh*t) this is a design fault which needs to be rectified as all Taycan's have the same issue. The cost to fit new fans is £2500 or $3500 so not a cheap fix. Please keep on to Porsche as this is not going way and needs a fix!!!

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It happened again! I was sitting in the car listening to some music, and heard this annoying diesel sound in the back ground (similar like one of the old taxi MB´s). However, there were no other car present nearby. So I took a look, but It appeared to be my own electric Taycan (obviously without any fossil engine).

I called Porsche and booked an appointment. The repair center told me that they would run an overdrive on the fan to spin out the stone chips. I'm not comfortable with that I replied as a solution, and told I suspect it might be a damage to the blades based on the sound. They claims the fan and blades are high quality and ment to handle this, but I'd like to see this to myself after this been opened at the Porsche Center before I approve of this.

On the way back home, just to see if it went away I drove a little less smooth in the corners, accelerated and braked a little harder. It did somewhat reduce, but it comes and goes now. I'm definitely not comfortable about it, and agree this is a bad engineering solution to be fixed for future sustainability. I sure not want to this bite me in the but after the guarantee has ended.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
It happened again! I was sitting in the car listening to some music, and heard this annoying diesel sound in the back ground (similar like one of the old taxi MB´s). However, there were no other car present nearby. So I took a look, but It appeared to be my own electric Taycan (obviously without any fossil engine).

I called Porsche and booked an appointment. The repair center told me that they would run an overdrive on the fan to spin out the stone chips. I'm not comfortable with that I replied as a solution, and told I suspect it might be a damage to the blades based on the sound. They claims the fan and blades are high quality and ment to handle this, but I'd like to see this to myself after this been opened at the Porsche Center before I approve of this.

On the way back home, just to see if it went away I drove a little less smooth in the corners, accelerated and braked a little harder. It did somewhat reduce, but it comes and goes now. I'm definitely not comfortable about it, and agree this is a bad engineering solution to be fixed for future sustainability. I sure not want to this bite me in the but after the guarantee has ended.
I noted the same problem too unfortunately
And I’ll get it checked in 2 weeks. But I sincerely hope that this is going to be covered under warranty because if driving a car like this is only permitted on slick asphalt - perfect roads , we’re in trouble Porsche ....
I wonder if they did some design changes for the CT model with a gravel mode , because if not ,there will be a lot of complaints ...

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
How is this different from any conventional ICE car with electric fans for the radiator? Porsche's "outside influence" position here indeed sounds like bullshit.

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe the German engineer failed to produce a protection coverage under the fan, which also make dirt and stone easily to disappear by itself.

So, after some time it builds up, and eventually we all will get the same problem with possible damage to vital and costly parts. That’s not okay at all.

On such an expensive vehicle I personally think Porsche should announce a recall, to replace the parts with a improved solution we can trust.

Last edited:

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had a similar sounding problem at the end of May on my MY20 Turbo. It was diagnosed as a "servo motor faulty". They replaced under warranty. Here's the description from my service receipt. Even though it talks about having the problem when plugged in, it was also happening when it wasn't plugged in.

Porsche Taycan Odd noice from AC or battery? Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 12.19.30 AM

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Cooling flap position implausible fault in the brake electronics: Is the brake cooling integrated with or separate from the battery and AC cooling loop?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me a couple of months ago. Very bizarre. The dealer looked at it afterwards and could not find anything or even reproduce the issue. It has not come back since.

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
What prevents "gravel and pebbles ... enter[ing] the ventilation in front of the airconditioner" again?

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Have any of you other Taycan owners experienced the same noice as on this video? I suspect it might be from the aircondition of some kind of, when working with the temp. It could also be something when cooling or heating the battery. It was quite loud, so I wanted to hear with you guys. Any idea or suggestions? Thanx!

EDIT: The car is in for a minor fix on Monday 31/8-20 at Porsche Center, so I make sure they will check this issue simultaneously. I´ll drop a feedback and/or solution from the workshop later, on this post.

]

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me a couple of months ago. Very bizarre. The dealer looked at it afterwards and could not find anything or even reproduce the issue. It has not come back since.
Hi All, I have exactly the same issue with my Taycan Turbo S so don’t be fobbed off by electric vehicle make funny noises!!! The problem is that the battery cooling fans on each side get clogged up with road debris, you will notice the air exit grill is in the wheel arch and the stones and road muck goes into the fan casing, causing the fan to seize up.

Porsche are aware of this problem but have no fix yet, I am on my third set of fans in a year and 10,000 miles at a warranty cost of £2500.00 each time.

If the noise comes the goes it means the fans are seized completely, so once again don’;t be fobbed off by the dealer!!!.

All Taycan’s have this issue but if you don’t do may miles it may not be noticed of if completely seized then the noise goes away.

I am told this is not a safety issue but if this is the case why are they needed.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Sounds like the noise that I have, Porsche identified it as from the evaporator, turn off your AC and see if it goes away, if so it is the same noise. They have no fix for it, I hear it loudly inside the car and at the bottom of the windshield near the frunk. The dealer may tell you it is normal, but what they mean is the evaporator is operating normally, but the noise is definitely not normal.