violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
I think Porsche delivers/pushes updates progressively
Tone over text is hard. I was just clowning on the fact that they clearly don't apply anywhere near the same level of QA on their UI stuff than they (hopefully) do on the mission-critical software that runs the car. Even canaries shouldn't get versions with SNAPSHOT in them.
Sponsored

VTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Audi S5, Volvo XC90
Country flag
interesting - no recurrence? If not that might have been a separate issue like overheating as suggested.

None of he suggestions here have had any effect on my red light nor any interventions I’ve attempted - scheduled for dealership check Sep 11 but can use RHS which works perfectly fine whilst LHS has the issue.
Did a full charge at home using the left side again and no issues. So I'm guessing it was heat (through not particularly hot that day) or some random bug that went away.

Alfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST
Country flag
Even with the best automation and very good QA you do a staggered roll out because there is always something that can slip through.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Even canaries shouldn't get versions with SNAPSHOT in them.
I wouldn’t read too much into that. As I remember, the version before the SNAPSHOT does not actually increase (or at least I haven’t seen that). One possible explanation is that they just have given up on separately versioning *this* particular component, presumably then because it’s packaged and delivered with some outer component that is properly versioned (seen on the same screen).

That outer component would then technically include a “snapshot” of the subcomponent’s tree, but deliberately chosen and QA’d.

In other words, that versioning scheme could just be a relic. Pure speculation of course, but it can make sense… but then they should probably just change the version string entirely to stop people from being confused.

violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
I wouldn’t read too much into that.
I guess maybe different people treat that differently. Personally, I use SNAPSHOT to mean "this isn't checked into version control, so it'll be impossible to file trackable bugs against it". And if trackable bugs can't be filed against something, I certainly wouldn't want it out in the wild.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I guess maybe different people treat that differently. Personally, I use SNAPSHOT to mean "this isn't checked into version control, so it'll be impossible to file trackable bugs against it". And if trackable bugs can't be filed against something, I certainly wouldn't want it out in the wild.
I doubt it’s not checked into version control, that would be crazy. Usually, SNAPSHOT means it is in version control, but not explicitly tagged as a version. That’s bad if it’s the actual thing you’re shipping, but if it’s just a smaller part that itself is tagged, it’s perfectly okay.

Look here for a random example of snapshot versions of some software:http://update.emftext.org/maven-rep...ers/de.devboost.codecomposers/1.0.4-SNAPSHOT/

Again, you wouldn’t want to ship that as “the” thing, but if it’s just a subproject delivered and tested as something bigger, then you can skip the superfluous step of tagging the code of the subproject with its own version, as you can easily go from the larger thing (with which you included testing of the smaller thing) to the right version of the contained thing at any time.

My guess (again, total speculation) is that Porsche used to develop the other component separately, but then incorporated it into a larger project, so they stopped tagging the subproject.

But also again, they should really change the versioning string, because if that’s the case they’re always confusing people with that version.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Well I only now received an email today August 31 (VIN specific) from Porsche USA re an available OTA update!!

I assume this is the same other received in July but who knows?

Went through the usual required steps to see if it is actually available in the car to install and you guessed it, no sign despite a VIN specific email - the messaging on these OTA's is pretty dismal - will just wait and see I guess if something turns up tomorrow.

Porsche Taycan OTA Software Update (July 17, 2023)! Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 4.01.13 PM

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
Just received this via email! Thoughts? The video shows it as a 30 minute update.

PCNA_Email_Header.jpg

Recall_Workshop_Hero_image.jpg
This notice applies to your vehicle:
Dear Mr. Herrick,

Porsche has developed FREE Over-The-Air (“OTA”) software updates available now specifically for your vehicle and plans to offer additional updates in the future. However, you need to take certain steps to be eligible to receive these FREE software updates. Your Porsche Center will also be able to update your vehicle at no cost to you; however, Porsche wants to give you the opportunity to install the newest software without the need for you to visit a Porsche Center.

What you should do to be eligible for FREE software updates:
Watch the video here for an interactive view.
Online OR In-App via Smartphone:
You must complete registration in My Porsche.com or My Porsche app

In-Car - In order to Download the Update:
  • You will need to deactivate Privacy Mode
  • You will need to be signed in as the main user in the vehicle
  • The vehicle will need an active data connection

Once these preconditions are met in the vehicle, the update will download to the vehicle in the background while the vehicle is on. An audible "ding" will occur when the update is fully downloaded (similar to a Navigation or Infotainment update), BUT the update can only be installed when the vehicle is not moving and the below conditions are followed.

What you should do to start the FREE software update
  • The vehicle must be in Park
  • Power off vehicle (In the Taycan this is done by pressing the POWER button) but do not exit the vehicle
  • Doors, windows, sunroof and trunk must all be closed fully (power off the vehicle but do not exit, so the PCM is still active)
  • After initiating the update in the PCM, you can exit the vehicle (doors must be locked to start the update)
  • If your vehicle is a Taycan or Plug-In Hybrid, the vehicle can't be plugged in to charge at any point during the update, nor can it be plugged in at the start of the update.

What should you do if you are not receiving notifications to install the OTA
Updates?

If you believe that you are eligible for OTA updates and have met all of the preconditions above, but the updates are still not popping up in your PCM after several weeks, please call Porsche Customer Service at 1-800-PORSCHE or your local dealer in order to troubleshoot. Please mention “OTA” or “Over the Air Update” in your call to ensure you are directed to the correct team. Porsche Center can perform the update if you are not able to perform it by yourself.

What should you do if the update fails?

If the update fails to install after you choose to install it, please contact your local Porsche Center in order to schedule a visit to have them install the update for you at NO CHARGE TO YOU.
To find your nearest authorized Porsche Center, visit www.porsche.com/usa

What if you are not the owner or operator of this vehicle?
If you are the lessor and registered owner of the vehicle identified above, please forward this email to the lessee within 10 days of receipt. If you’ve changed your address or sold the vehicle, please click one of the links below or contact customer support so we can update our records.

Change Your Address

No Longer Own Vehicle

Sincerely,
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.​
PCNA_Email_Footer_Divider.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_Facebook.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_Youtube.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_Twitter.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_Pinterest.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_Instagram.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_LinkedIn.jpg
If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, you may opt out at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link or by visiting our online unsubscribe web form at: https://www.porsche.com/usa/dialogue/newsletter/unsubscribe/

Porsche recommends seat-belt usage and observance of traffic laws at all times.
©2023 Porsche Cars North America, Inc. | One Porsche Drive | Atlanta, Georgia 30354

Please do not reply to this email. If you have questions, please contact 1-800-PORSCHE
[email protected].

Privacy Policy | Legal Notice
I just got an upgrade email with video. Tried to do the install but got nowhere. Maybe the 2020s aren’t set up enough to get it? Ideas?

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just received this via email! Thoughts? The video shows it as a 30 minute update.

PCNA_Email_Header.jpg

Recall_Workshop_Hero_image.jpg
This notice applies to your vehicle:
Dear Mr. Herrick,

Porsche has developed FREE Over-The-Air (“OTA”) software updates available now specifically for your vehicle and plans to offer additional updates in the future. However, you need to take certain steps to be eligible to receive these FREE software updates. Your Porsche Center will also be able to update your vehicle at no cost to you; however, Porsche wants to give you the opportunity to install the newest software without the need for you to visit a Porsche Center.

What you should do to be eligible for FREE software updates:
Watch the video here for an interactive view.
Online OR In-App via Smartphone:
You must complete registration in My Porsche.com or My Porsche app

In-Car - In order to Download the Update:
  • You will need to deactivate Privacy Mode
  • You will need to be signed in as the main user in the vehicle
  • The vehicle will need an active data connection

Once these preconditions are met in the vehicle, the update will download to the vehicle in the background while the vehicle is on. An audible "ding" will occur when the update is fully downloaded (similar to a Navigation or Infotainment update), BUT the update can only be installed when the vehicle is not moving and the below conditions are followed.

What you should do to start the FREE software update
  • The vehicle must be in Park
  • Power off vehicle (In the Taycan this is done by pressing the POWER button) but do not exit the vehicle
  • Doors, windows, sunroof and trunk must all be closed fully (power off the vehicle but do not exit, so the PCM is still active)
  • After initiating the update in the PCM, you can exit the vehicle (doors must be locked to start the update)
  • If your vehicle is a Taycan or Plug-In Hybrid, the vehicle can't be plugged in to charge at any point during the update, nor can it be plugged in at the start of the update.

What should you do if you are not receiving notifications to install the OTA
Updates?

If you believe that you are eligible for OTA updates and have met all of the preconditions above, but the updates are still not popping up in your PCM after several weeks, please call Porsche Customer Service at 1-800-PORSCHE or your local dealer in order to troubleshoot. Please mention “OTA” or “Over the Air Update” in your call to ensure you are directed to the correct team. Porsche Center can perform the update if you are not able to perform it by yourself.

What should you do if the update fails?

If the update fails to install after you choose to install it, please contact your local Porsche Center in order to schedule a visit to have them install the update for you at NO CHARGE TO YOU.
To find your nearest authorized Porsche Center, visit www.porsche.com/usa

What if you are not the owner or operator of this vehicle?
If you are the lessor and registered owner of the vehicle identified above, please forward this email to the lessee within 10 days of receipt. If you’ve changed your address or sold the vehicle, please click one of the links below or contact customer support so we can update our records.

Change Your Address

No Longer Own Vehicle

Sincerely,
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.​
PCNA_Email_Footer_Divider.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_Facebook.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_Youtube.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_Twitter.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_Pinterest.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_Instagram.jpg
PCNA_Email_Footer_LinkedIn.jpg
If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, you may opt out at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link or by visiting our online unsubscribe web form at: https://www.porsche.com/usa/dialogue/newsletter/unsubscribe/

Porsche recommends seat-belt usage and observance of traffic laws at all times.
©2023 Porsche Cars North America, Inc. | One Porsche Drive | Atlanta, Georgia 30354

Please do not reply to this email. If you have questions, please contact 1-800-PORSCHE
[email protected].

Privacy Policy | Legal Notice
Should have said I got his today 30 august.

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well I only now received an email today August 31 (VIN specific) from Porsche USA re an available OTA update!!

Went through the usual required steps to see if it is actually available in the car to install and you guessed it, no sign despite a VIN specific email - the messaging on these OTA's is pretty dismal - will just wait and see I guess if something turns up tomorrow.

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 4.01.13 PM.png
Agree see my note below

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

I got an OTA email (vin specific) today - August 31 - but I previously got an email in July and did install that OTA update. Today's email is either for a new OTA update, or an email for an OTA update already installed. Be nice if the emails identified the specific OTA updates, wouldn't it?

OP
OP
bah1590

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 4.01.13 PM.png
Seems they sent out an update after the last email. Maybe they are going to send out another update.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Seems they sent out an update after the last email. Maybe they are going to send out another update.
Indeed could be - as @Tooney said, pretty lame tracking of different updates and as I commented before, no app or in-car install log to keep track of anything done to your car which is frankly ridiculous.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Indeed could be - as @Tooney said, pretty lame tracking of different updates and as I commented before, no app or in-car install log to keep track of anything done to your car which is frankly ridiculous.
The correspondence you received doesn't actually say to expect or detail the OTA pending unless I missed it.

Is this not simply a generic email about OTAs and how to process?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
The correspondence you received doesn't actually say to expect or detail the OTA pending unless I missed it.

Is this not simply a generic email about OTAs and how to process?
It is, but it's the second in as many months. (At least for me.) I've gotten an update already, and looks like another one is follow. Weird that the 'advance notice' emails don't include an update identifier of sorts.
Sponsored