Our GTS Sport Turismo allocation is a go.

Swellmels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera S, Range Rover, BMW X5 40e
Country flag
Just received word today that our allocation is a go for our 2023 GTS Sport Turismo, so excited. Car is scheduled for arrival by 9/2/22, but we will see if that is true. I do have a couple of questions regarding the On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger and other emobility options. I have read that the On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger is unnecessary in the U.S. and currently have not chosen it. I did op for the 19.2 kw on-board charger which I think is needed to take full advantage at the DC America chargers? We have level 2 in our garage and will use that along with level 2 at my husbands work. We will occasionally use the DC America but it isn’t close by. Appreciate any comments regarding the options we have chosen. We have owned several Porsche‘s and we have owned a few Tesla‘s and Fiat 500e so very familiar with electric cars just a bit confused by the Porsche options for the Taycan charging.
Here is my build if anyone has any advice.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPYUTEI4
Sponsored

Tincan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Congrats on the GTS ST!

The battery always charges from DC current. When you're using a fast (L3) charger, like Electrify America it's DC only. The Taycan charges at 800V, and the US ones are mostly up to 900V, apart from the Tesla ones. If Tesla ever opens up their network, having the upgraded voltage booster (the "On-board 150kW/400VDC") would allow you to charge up to 150kW over there too -- the default one only boosts up to 50kW. For Electrify America it's not necessary, that component is not useful as the voltage is already high enough.

When you're charging from home (the L2 you have in your garage) this is AC current, which needs to be converted to DC. The default ac-to-dc charger in the Taycan can do up to 11kW. The 19.2kW option you mention is only useful if your home charging setup can deliver more than the 11kW the default ac-to-dc converter supports. This is rarely the case in the US, it's more a thing in the EU with tri-phase power.

TLDR the 19.2kW option is for AC (L2), and you likely don't have such powerful chargers at home or work. Most public L2 are ~6kW, at home you might have ~9kW.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
you absolutely do not need the 19kw option. delete it and never think twice about it. almost every AC charger maxes out at 50 amps and if you ever run across one and need to charge at more than 40-50 amps, i'll be absolutely mind blown.

story: my dad was a VERY early Model S adopter, back in late 2012, when there were no superchargers. the Teslas at that time carried the option for dual 40A/50A onboard AC chargers, but that option was nixed within a few years when they realized that almost nobody will ever have that much AC current to charge from.

I did spec the 400V charger on mine because, on the off change Tesla ever opens their superchargers, i'd like to have the capability, and it's not expensive.
Sponsored