Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
This morning, I charged up to 100% because I will be driving down the Jersey Shore and back soon. The projected range was 284 miles (457 km) while my garage's temperature was 58 F (14.5 C). Before I will be leaving, I hopped in the car and drove down to the bakery to get some sandwiches for the trip. Back and forth only 2.4 miles. When I came back the charge was still at 100% but the projected range now shrank to 274 miles (441 km) because the outside temperature was 38 F (3.5 C).
Porsche Taycan Outside temperature and range Range14C
Porsche Taycan Outside temperature and range Range3C

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I'ld be more curious why it stayed at 100% rather than why your range dropped... Its pretty well established that an EV's range drops somewhat significantly in colder ambients (cabin heating, etc). Once your car figured out it was driving in 38f (and seeing the electrical load which was being required) it was simply adjusting its estimate.

As you don't use 100% often, maybe the car is still trying to figure out exactly "where that is"...

(You're not one of us eco-criminals who heat our garages, are you?)

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I'ld be more curious why it stayed at 100% rather than why your range dropped... Its pretty well established that an EV's range drops somewhat significantly in colder ambients (cabin heating, etc)...

As you don't use 100% often, maybe the car is still trying to figure out exactly "where that is"...
Or because 2.4 miles to fetch sandwiches and back is less than 1% of the projected range and the system does not round downward?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Or because 2.4 miles to fetch sandwiches and back is less than 1% of the projected range and the system does not round downward?
I bet you are correct. I didn't do the math... :-(

So, what then is it that you find surprising?

I don't know whether the car looks at the "surprise" outside temp and makes a pro-active adjustment to the estimated range based on some internal tables - or if it simply watches the actual increased electrical consumption and bases the adjustment solely on that. (I think it fair to say that we DO know it watches actual electrical consumption as it does make adjustments based on driving style).

It would be a curious test to take your car from the relatively warm garage and simply roll it outside (don't go anywhere) and see if the range gets adjusted purely based on the outside temp.

Last edited:

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Frank,
Please let us know what your trip SoC, range etc... are when you get to your destination.
Safe travels.
Thank you.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
@Kingske, I'm interested in your results. I'm planning to drive my Taycan from Atlanta back up to Connecticut later this month. I started to plot out the trip using A Better Route Planner (I'm staying over in Durham, North Carolina to avoid being at Electrify America chargers in the middle of the night in deserted Walmart parking lots). To have realistic expectations I made a number of adjustments compared to the last time I did this in warm weather (for this trip I decreased the range, required 20% vs 10% arrival SOC at EA stations, and wanted 60% SOC when I arrive in Durham so that I can leave the next morning without scrambling to find a charger for the second leg of the trip). It looks like I will have about twice as many stops for the colder weather trip.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Kingske, I'm interested in your results. I'm planning to drive my Taycan from Atlanta back up to Connecticut later this month. I started to plot out the trip using A Better Route Planner (I'm staying over in Durham, North Carolina to avoid being at Electrify America chargers in the middle of the night in deserted Walmart parking lots). To have realistic expectations I made a number of adjustments compared to the last time I did this in warm weather (for this trip I decreased the range, required 20% vs 10% arrival SOC at EA stations, and wanted 60% SOC when I arrive in Durham so that I can leave the next morning without scrambling to find a charger for the second leg of the trip). It looks like I will have about twice as many stops for the colder weather trip.
Some of the most interesting things happen "at Electrify America chargers in the middle of the night in deserted Walmart parking lots".

;-)

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some of the most interesting things happen "at Electrify America chargers in the middle of the night in deserted Walmart parking lots".

;-)
Especially if you are in a Mamba Green Porsche with Georgia plates heading north with the virus spiking in most of the places I will be traveling through (fortunately I got my first COVID shot the other week, and the 2nd one soon)

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Especially if you are in a Mamba Green Porsche with Georgia plates heading north with the virus spiking in most of the places I will be traveling through (fortunately I got my first COVID shot the other week, and the 2nd one soon)
Sounds like "deserted chargers in the middle of the night" might actually be the best plan for social distancing...

Congrats on the Vaccine! ...you got a pre-condition? ...something "mental" perhaps? :)

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like "deserted chargers in the middle of the night" might actually be the best plan for social distancing...

Congrats on the Vaccine! ...you got a pre-condition? ...something "mental" perhaps? :)
I am an EMT on my town's volunteer emergency medical service.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I bet you are correct. I didn't do the math... :-(

So, what then is it that you find surprising?

I don't know whether the car looks at the "surprise" outside temp and makes a pro-active adjustment to the estimated range based on some internal tables - or if it simply watches the actual increased electrical consumption and bases the adjustment solely on that. (I think it fair to say that we DO know it watches actual electrical consumption as it does make adjustments based on driving style).

It would be a curious test to take your car from the relatively warm garage and simply roll it outside (don't go anywhere) and see if the range gets adjusted purely based on the outside temp.
I've done this, and yes the car does seem to update range based upon temperature - simply rolling-out the car from the garage to the driveway for a couple of minutes results in the range plummeting.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've done this, and yes the car does seem to update range based upon temperature - simply rolling-out the car from the garage to the driveway for a couple of minutes results in the range plummeting.
Good info!

...I guess the next question is: "How accurate is the prediction?"

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Congrats. Hope you don't now have an irrational desire to buy as many Microsoft products as possible.

Can't wait for that vaccine to be rolled-out more widely over here - may actually be able to drive my car again.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Good info!

...I guess the next question is: "How accurate is the prediction?"
Good question. I've not been quite so convinced by the accuracy of my car's range o'meter (think others have found it pretty accurate), but I've found that the "colder" estimate is definitely closer to reality than the estimate in the garage.
Sponsored