magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think you are making a big assumption, that a lack of smoking package means nobody smoked in the car.
I did not make that assumption. My candidate cars were over 500 miles away. I skipped the one with the smoking package, and went through the process with the one without.

Was it possible that after taking the flight down, I had realized that the car had been smoked in after all (despite asking the dealer… as said, sometimes it’s hard to notice)? Yes. Was it less likely for the one without the smoking package? Also yes.

I explicitly said: if the car is local and you can thoroughly smell it out: Not an issue.
Sponsored

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
yes, I think they both have Bose. I’m not that concerned about the stereo. Would I pay an extra thousand or two for the Burmester? I probably would. When I was younger, I called myself an “audiophile” and really made a big deal about sound. My current car doesn’t have the premium sound and the sales rep said to me “ it’s good enough.” I listen to it for a minute and agreed, it was fine. The Burmester sticks in the back of my head is something beautiful and unattainable, somewhat like a Victoria’s Secret model; very expensive maybe without the high maintenance!
You will be happy with the BOSE, it’s not bad. It’s just that the non-BOSE that comes as standard on the non-Turbo Taycans is really bad. Immediately noticeably bad, and not worth a car that price. But with the BOSE, you’ll be fine!

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
You will be happy with the BOSE, it’s not bad. It’s just that the non-BOSE that comes as standard on the non-Turbo Taycans is really bad. Immediately noticeably bad, and not worth a car that price. But with the BOSE, you’ll be fine!
Okay, I though Bose was standard, but it's an upgrade? There you go! You guys are teaching me so much thank you

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
gentleman, now now :)

I just noticed this: Reaction score 102...what's that mean?

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Okay, I though Bose was standard, but it's an upgrade? There you go! You guys are teaching me so much thank you
I don’t know top of the head but I think it’s standard on the Turbos, and an upgrade on some of the other trims, e.g. on the RWD Taycan it’s an upgrade.

I got the Burmester and it’s really nice, but you have to really want it, it’s expensive, and it made used car shopping much harder since it’s not a popular option.

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very nice. I want to listen to the Burmester, it must sound great. Here in Canada it's a big ticket option:

Burmester® 3D High-End Surround Sound System
$6,620

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I compared the standard system with the Bose at the dealer and the difference was relatively small, mainly imaging because the standard system has the usual car problem of listener to speaker distances being unsuited to good stereo whereas the Bose has some DSP surround simulation.

I went for the standard system in the end since Bose added a delivery delay and I had waited a long time already. I didn’t listen to Burmester and think the Bose isn’t better enough to justify its price.

The sound is fairly uncoloured, rare in a car system IME. It does have the problem that the bass is even and deep when stopped but overwhelmed by the background noise - which is mainly low frequency in a car - when moving but the only solution to that is DSP compensation which is rare or an turned up subwoofer which is lo-Fi.

Having written that my home sound system cost more than the Taycan my expectations high and my experience of car sound systems low, based on many years experience. Listening to music is a principle pastime for me, just not much in a car.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Was it less likely for the one without the smoking package? Also yes.
The question is how much less likely. Given it’s a free and removable option even SA’s will recommend, IMO the likelihood difference is in the noise. It did cause you to limit the pool of choices, and the more choices you have, the better choice you can make.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
True! "Brevity is the soul of wit." William Shakespeare

My problem is I start off with a reasonable budget, then add in the goodies I want but don't need, then I'm happy. I'm still getting over the sticker shock of these options. Auto park is nice but no wonder almost no one options it, it's a fortune for something barely needed. :)
Porsche APA
One thing worth mentioning. If you like to keep your cars a while, do the legwork to figure out what you really want in terms of feature, or performance. It sucks realizing few months into ownership that you really wanted some option and cannot get it without trading cars. I probably over-optioned my car, but I figured a couple of grand up front is much cheaper than the cost of swapping cars in a year, even if the latter had only a moderate possibility.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
gentleman, now now :)

I just noticed this: Reaction score 102...what's that mean?
it's a direct "count" of Likes, Loves, Laughs, Wows, Sads, Angry for a given handle on the forum for that handle's entire posting history…

Porsche Taycan Overwhelmed by options available Taycan Turbo IMG_1712

@Amelio has received 9 "reactions" (probably all likes) on 30 posted messages… or about 1 like on every 3 messages - not a bad ratio.

full details can be seen your profile panel under the topic "reactions received".

Last edited:

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
this is incorrect - as Tesla opens up the supercharger network in the US they are all 400V chargers - if you do not have this option and need/want to use a supercharger you will be limited to 50 kW charge rate instead of a 3x faster 150 kW rate.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42913649/tesla-opening-us-supercharger-network/
I suppose if you're a heavy roadtripper, or let's face it, live in California, it has utility. Here on the East Coast I've never had any reason to use a Tesla Supercharger. When I bought the car I expected to buy a TeslaTap but I just haven't seen a need. Most of my charging is at home and all of my public charging has been for free at 800V EA stations. We have two 350kW locations on I-95 in Maryland & several more 150kW spots.

I can see how the 150kW would be useful to some other people (I included it partly based on reading your posts & partly due to my SA recommending it) but after 2+ years, I've used it zero times.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I suppose if you're a heavy roadtripper, or let's face it, live in California, it has utility. Here on the East Coast I've never had any reason to use a Tesla Supercharger. When I bought the car I expected to buy a TeslaTap but I just haven't seen a need. Most of my charging is at home and all of my public charging has been for free at 800V EA stations. We have two 350kW locations on I-95 in Maryland & several more 150kW spots.

I can see how the 150kW would be useful to some other people (I included it partly based on reading your posts & partly due to my SA recommending it) but after 2+ years, I've used it zero times.
Ditto. I've had my Taycan for a little over a year and have only taken one road trip that required more than two EA charging stops. Only once have I wished we had access to a Tesla super charger. Even then, I'd probably try an open EA charger first to see if it could pump out close to 150kw. I suppose this will change once free charging expires for people.
Sponsored