W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If £3k it’s outrageous. I was expecting it to be a 50% mark up on pan roof so c.£500 extra… can’t see why it’d be so much more unless the tech is very expensive (it’s been there for 15 years with Maybach and the SL had the magic sky long ago too….)
Precisely.

I guess they're so embarrassed at the price that they can't quite bring themselves to update the UK configurator (yet)!
Sponsored

targaben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, GT4, Macan
Country flag
Precisely.

I guess they're so embarrassed at the price that they can't quite bring themselves to update the UK configurator (yet)!
Locking my spec tomorrow, originally had hoped it would be an option by this stage. But not at those potential prices. Jeez

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
If £3k it’s outrageous. I was expecting it to be a 50% mark up on pan roof so c.£500 extra… can’t see why it’d be so much more unless the tech is very expensive (it’s been there for 15 years with Maybach and the SL had the magic sky long ago too….)
Surely it's not surprising that a multi-adjustable photochromatic roof will be significantly more expensive than a basic glass one?

The good thing is that it's an option, so if you consider it too expensive, you don't have to buy it!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just wait til they add BMWs latest innovation - electronic paint to change the tone / colour of your car!

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am not sure if anyone noticed or mentioned already, but this option is now available for $4,760 in the US configurator. I am probably going to add it to my order, which is getting locked next month.

I've had my TTurbo with Pano roof during 2 very hot NY summers and there was NEVER an issue with heat from the roof.Whatever they put between layers works so IMHO the electric roof is cute at $100 but otherwise totally unnecssary.
9FCC4573-9974-4B51-91AC-34E0D54003E8.jpeg

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
I don't think it's about heat, more to do with comfort (imho).

If it's a nice sunny summer's day and I have my toddler in the back being blinded by the sun, it's nice to be able to block out the glare.
As to if it's worth the price of admission or not...that's a different matter!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Surely it's not surprising that a multi-adjustable photochromatic roof will be significantly more expensive than a basic glass one?

The good thing is that it's an option, so if you consider it too expensive, you don't have to buy it!
I agree, the LCD panels and its control are almost certainly far more expensive than a bit of tinted glass.

I don't think it's about heat, more to do with comfort (imho).

If it's a nice sunny summer's day and I have my toddler in the back being blinded by the sun, it's nice to be able to block out the glare.
As to if it's worth the price of admission or not...that's a different matter!
I don't think it is about either personally, I think it is about having a cool gadget to appeal to customers :)

The car looks so much nicer with it I am going for the fully light controlling metal roof...

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
i think porsche owe me money...to clean my work monitor of the coffee i accidentally spat at it when i saw the price of it!!

i know it isnt cheap tech but that is a lot of money. AS @W1NGE says my cayenne also comes with a retractable cover that you can close electronically when its too bright. I would rather have that back than the VLC or at least the option to have it as standard

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i think porsche owe me money...to clean my work monitor of the coffee i accidentally spat at it when i saw the price of it!!

i know it isnt cheap tech but that is a lot of money. AS @W1NGE says my cayenne also comes with a retractable cover that you can close electronically when its too bright. I would rather have that back than the VLC or at least the option to have it as standard
I guess the issue is that would rob some headroom, which is already sparse in the Sedan/Saloon?

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
surely be the same as having a metal roof?
I'm no expert, but i think there is more headroom in cars with the glass roof than the metal roof? Adding an additional blind would reverse that situation,

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I guess the issue is that would rob some headroom, which is already sparse in the Sedan/Saloon?
Perhaps - but let's not make excuses for these money robbing bar stewards!

Headroom should not be an issue in the front of either a saloon or CT / ST. Rear headroom is already a challenge in the saloon for 6' folk (as is leg room) in the rear and perhaps a closed blind might steal a little more but not a strong argument. There is appreciably more rear headroom in the ST as the roofline doesn't slope.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
I'm no expert, but i think there is more headroom in cars with the glass roof than the metal roof? Adding an additional blind would reverse that situation,
Correct.

buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
Looks like it’s only available for the GTS, not for other trims, ST or CT :(

I’m sure there are significant additional electronics + wiring required. I wouldn’t be surprised if the margins on this are not super huge (compared to something like deviated stitching or coloured seatbelts).
Sponsored

Last edited: