Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
I would be interested to know from people who have actually had the passenger display, whether they would prefer it again in a do over.

i got the feeling, without specific corroboration, that it only works if there it a passenger present.

I frequently have a passenger in my car, so it really is for their benefit.

i have had mixed and diametrically opposed views, but nothing substantive.

I have heard from one person who has it and says it’s worth getting. Other than that, a couple or people who were disappointed it didn’t work without a passenger.

Are there any people here who have it and think it’s worth getting?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would be interested to know from people who have actually had the passenger display, whether they would prefer it again in a do over.

i got the feeling, without specific corroboration, that it only works if there it a passenger present.

I have heard from one person who has it and says it’s worth getting. Other than that, a couple or people who were disappointed it didn’t work without a passenger.

Thanks in advance.
It only works if there is a passenger in the seat.

With no passenger, it shows the "Taycan" name, and I think it looks good.

I don't understand why people would want to use it when there is no passenger there, since there are so many other screens. Since you have all the info in front of you, why would you want to look all the way over to the passenger side for more info?

My passengers love the screen. Particularly good for road trips.

Like about 96% of the other features, it comes down to personal preference. Someone may say they hate it, some may say it is ok, someone may say they love it, but it is up to you as to what you like.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
"Put a bag of 25kg in the seat and it'll be on"... :)
I'm sure soon someone will come up with a tool to switch this on, no matter if someone is in the seat or not.
You just have to eliminate some parameters.
Ontopic: my passengers love the screen and I would opt it again, knowing that some day it'll be turned on all the time. :)

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
[ EDIT: Before you get your hopes up, please see my posting further into this thread: Full Disclosure ]

This is absolutely NOT correct. Just touch the screen and it will come alive. It works exactly the same as if anyone was in the seat or not (they would also have to touch the screen to bring it online).

I sometimes reach over and throw up the NAV Map on the passenger screen while that seat is empty. I'll run the nav in front of the pass seat (just for giggles) and my music screen in the middle. It works just fine with no one in the seat.

Yeah, I'ld order it again. Its a little more convenient for the passenger to access and it really helps them feel like a co-pilot with their "very own" screen.

Besides, if you are already spending this much money on a car, what's a bit more for this feature... ;-)

Last edited:

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
The way I see it, I've gotten by without a passenger screen in my cars so far, so it's not a "need".

But my wife wanted the screen for when she's riding in the car, so I optioned it in. Since I just picked it up I'll need some time to see how it works out in practice, but no regrets here so far.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The way I see it, I've gotten by without a passenger screen in my cars so far, so it's not a "need".

But my wife wanted the screen for when she's riding in the car, so I optioned it in. Since I just picked it up I'll need some time to see how it works out in practice, but no regrets here so far.

...and I've "gotten by" with cars that didn't have Nav Systems.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
This is absolutely NOT correct. Just touch the screen and it will come alive. It works exactly the same as if anyone was in the seat or not (they would also have to touch the screen to bring it online).

I sometimes reach over and throw up the NAV Map on the passenger screen while that seat is empty. I'll run the nav in front of the pass seat (just for giggles) and my music screen in the middle. It works just fine with no one in the seat.

Yeah, I'ld order it again. Its a little more convenient for the passenger to access and it really helps them feel like a co-pilot with their "very own" screen.

Besides, if you are already spending this much money on a car, what's a bit more for this feature... ;-)
Party pooper!
Would love to see people driving around with sandbags in the passenger seat... :)

KINGFISH

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 911
Country flag

Thanks in advance.
I love it. Looks cool (in keeping with the tech of the car). Best part - my wife has the list of songs playing on Sirius in front of her (Favorites List), so she can flip to another song whilst I concentrate on driving. She is my personal DJ.

DMTaycan

First Name
Deya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 718, Audi 8, Audi A5
Country flag
I love it. Looks cool (in keeping with the tech of the car). Best part - my wife has the list of songs playing on Sirius in front of her (Favorites List), so she can flip to another song whilst I concentrate on driving. She is my personal DJ.
I guess it depends on one’s wife. Mine monitor speed and speed limits like a hawk. I think a passenger display will Increase my troubles with the “law”

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have the passenger display - I’m a tech geek and I knew I’d hate myself if I didn’t get it but my expectations were low…

so far I’d have to say the response is “meh” - it’s neither great nor awful - the real issue for me is it’s nearly useless with Apple Carplay - since Carplay only works on the main display - my wife who is the common passenger considers it barely useful but doesn’t hate it.

so far there is no functionality that make it a must have, I was hoping Porsche had done some really clever things with it - they have not.

with OTA updates possible “in theory” I’m hoping over time more functionality could be added, but I”m not holding my breath.

I get much more enjoyment from the power charge port doors as that’s a useful feature.

Austrian4S

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport (2011), Range Rover (2016)
Country flag

With no passenger, it shows the "Taycan" name, and I think it looks good.

I don't understand why people would want to use it when there is no passenger there, since there are so many other screens. Since you have all the info in front of you, why would you want to look all the way over to the passenger side for more info?

My passengers love the screen. Particularly good for road trips.

Like about 96% of the other features, it comes down to personal preference. Someone may say they hate it, some may say it is ok, someone may say they love it, but it is up to you as to what you like.
My kids love it when they are in the front and I think it looks good even if it is only really useful for music and navigation. Love it lit up when nobody is in the front seat so yes I would opt for it again

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

Mine doesn't work, just tried it cuz I got curious if I missed this.
Did you have an update or something?
AFIAK there's nothing in the menu that keeps the screen active while no passenger is in the seat...at least, not in my menu...

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine doesn't work, just tried it cuz I got curious if I missed this.
Did you have an update or something?
AFIAK there's nothing in the menu that keeps the screen active while no passenger is in the seat...at least, not in my menu...
No, I just tapped the screen to wake it up and then selected the Nav icon... I don't think "activity" has anything do with it. Once I turned it on, it just stayed on until the car shut off...

I just took delivery of my car last Friday and I'm told all the software, etc is current.

I'm running out to get a Flu shot and a Shingrix shot in a few minutes. (here's hoping they get along!) I'll do it again to confirm...
Sponsored