benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
(If you use an iPad to enter a new message, don't switch to your camera, first click save draft. Or else you'll loose all text:( entered which obviously happened to me)

Since the LTE icon disappeared a few days ago, I tried to solve it by rebooting the PCM.

First challenge was to figure out how to reboot. I had seen messages on the forum, but couldn't manage until today.

So let me try to explain how I did it:
Wait until all icons (more than 9 in my case) have appeared after switching on the car, for example handleiding(manual) appears after a while.
Right after startup:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8604

(Sorry for the lousy pics, but didn't want to wait till tonight).
Menu is now complete:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8605

Go to the first home screen on the center console by clicking on the home icon until you see the house picture and the first of the two lines below it in blue.(Like in the pic above).

Look in (almost) the top right of the screen, you should see your name there and an image that looks like the letter v. The letter v is position 1.
In the top right of the screen I see the temperature, but it is possible to have the date and/or time(?) there. Below it is a phone with a line through it from lower left to upper right. This is position 2.

Press and hold position 1 with your pointing finger and position 2 with your middle finger. The screens should go black. Stop pressing and wait about 10 seconds for the Engineering menu to appear. If nothing happens, lift your fingers and try again close to position 1 and 2. Eventually the screen will go black and you have managed to reboot into Engineering mode.
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8573

If your only intention was to reboot the PCM, reboot again to normal mode by pressing the last menu option.

Warning: Everything I describe next is to be used at your own risk...

Curious as I am, I clicked on the other three options too.
Activation keys:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8598

I didn't go any further with this one.

Next is version information:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8574

Clicking info showed a list of 27 devices:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8575

Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8576

Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8577

Some interesting device names for sure!

I clicked on POWebApps and got:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8578

I didn't explore this menu option any further.

update on the main menu showed NONE. Ok, but how about that Log button in the upper right :D
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8579

After clicking it I got a list of updates that have been applied to the Taycan :like:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8580

So my car got 3 MPR3_ER_POG46 updates, P3267, P3276 and P3397. Probably the WMA stuff. These are PCM updates, thanks ChrisK.
And two online manual updates and a few OTA(Nav?) updates.

Clicking on the P3267 showed another menu:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8581

And clicking each option showed:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8582

Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8583

Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8583

Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8584

Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8585

Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8586

Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8587

The general information for the P3276 update:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8588

and the P3397 update:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8591

The P3397 had "Old" for the MMX3_Patch on device summary:
Porsche Taycan PCM Engineering mode, contains PCM reboot IMG_8597

There are some interesting module names in there, which might reveal which operating system and software is used in our car. I will dive deeper into this in another post.

BTW, the LTE icon never came back, so I'll go to the PC this week.
(Also connect app and myporsche website can't find the car, there are more LTE problems reported on the forum).

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It's Linux with the apps running in containers. Not sure if it's Docker or some other container orchestration.

OP
OP
benver

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It's Linux with the apps running in containers. Not sure if it's Docker or some other container orchestration.
It is Docker, I am waiting for an opportunity to see were the hard disk is located. Hopefully I will then be able to pull it out of my Taycan and make a bit image copy and mount the copy to my linux laptop :cool:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm certain by "hard disk" you meant embedded SSD, but given all the other shortcomings we have seen from Porsche here, I really wouldn't be that surprised to find a spinner in there. I think the PCM control board sits below the center console control screen but I don't know this for certain. If indeed it's an embedded eMMC, copying it would be tough. If it's a 2.5" SFF SSD then it's a piece of cake (if you can actually get to it).

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
I'm certain by "hard disk" you meant embedded SSD, but given all the other shortcomings we have seen from Porsche here, I really wouldn't be that surprised to find a spinner in there. I think the PCM control board sits below the center console control screen but I don't know this for certain. If indeed it's an embedded eMMC, copying it would be tough. If it's a 2.5" SFF SSD then it's a piece of cake (if you can actually get to it).
I know this is an old thread, but I was trying to figure out whether the PCM uses an SSD or "spinner". Boot sequence sure seems slow.

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
I know this is an old thread, but I was trying to figure out whether the PCM uses an SSD or "spinner". Boot sequence sure seems slow.
Probably bad software coding than hardware. Doubt there is a spinner inside - but who knows the whole PCM implementation is way behind the competition.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Probably bad software coding than hardware. Doubt there is a spinner inside - but who knows the whole PCM implementation is way behind the competition.
The slowness could well be waiting for a network connection, or a timeout to occur if no connection is available?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It boots from punch cards. Most of the issues people report are actually from loading the cards out of order. For example it’s well documented that swapping card 24966482 with card 43982787 causes nav to stick in day mode. See this thread:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/punch-card-order-causing-display-issues.3422

Check Good To Know for more or SunCoast for replacement/aftermarket cards.
Sponsored