[Perspective] - A happy Taycan owner road trip’s his Daughter’s Model Y…

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It seems we in the "English speaking world" are badly served by infrastructure compared to mainland Europe and Scandinavia which means for longer trips an EV is fine to better there and more work or difficult here :(
Sponsored

Slappy_G

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo sedan, Audi S6
Country flag
I just got my Taycan Turbo 2 months ago. It's my first Porsche as a driver, but I have been a passenger in several.

The OP is *dead on* about the critique of the charging experience and the car's software/phone apps. The software design is atrocious and inexcusable for a $100,000+ vehicle. Even ignoring the Porsche stupidity about not having all the safety features and things like power folding mirrors being built-in and treating them as options (instead of including everything and having an option to opt out for the rare "purist" buyers), there are a lot of annoyances. Use of PlugShare/ABRP is almost essential, as the built-in navigation is missing many chargers, and has completely wrong data about every charger I have seen. 250kW showing as 7kW, 60kW showing as 350kW, etc. Utterly unusable.

I think the biggest challenge is, while the car drives really well, I think Porsche seems to be out of touch with the fact that modern cars, and especially EVs need modern software capabilties. Especially at the price point of these cars. As an example, the Hyundai Ioniq 5/6 step all over the Taycan from a software perspective. And cost less than half as much as most Taycans.

My charging experience is in Ohio, and the problems are real. DCFC stations are extremely rare and often broken/degraded. The problem most people don't realize is that the issue with EVs is not range anxiety, it's charger anxiety. If the charging locations were better, that would solve pretty much every issue. This is why I'm super excited for Tesla to open up its superchargers to other companies. In theory, once that happens, even if Porshe drags their feet as I expect them to, any 3rd party adapter should allow a plug-and-charge compatible Taycan to work at a Supercharger. That will be a great day for sure.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
As an example, the Hyundai Ioniq 5/6 step all over the Taycan from a software perspective. And cost less than half as much as most Taycans.
And therein lays the issue. Hyundai sells much higher volume of cars, which results in a much higher budget for software development. Unless Porsche can leverage VW software, it's going to be lagging forever. Software is very expensive to develop, qualify, ship.

PS> My wife has an Audi Q8 eTron, its software is even more lacking than Taycan. She switched after 2 Model S, still complains about the eTron software almost daily.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
And therein lays the issue. Hyundai sells much higher volume of cars, which results in a much higher budget for software development. Unless Porsche can leverage VW software, it's going to be lagging forever. Software is very expensive to develop, qualify, ship.

PS> My wife has an Audi Q8 eTron, its software is even more lacking than Taycan. She switched after 2 Model S, still complains about the eTron software almost daily.
agree re. the Audi interface, feels very subpar and perhaps only better than what’s on VW’s ID range:)

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm really not getting the software complaints. Personally, I don't have any major gripes about the software and only a few minor ones. It does everything I expect a car's software to do. My, admittedly limited, experience with Tesla's left me unimpressed with the software I found it irritating to do everything on the iPad glued to the dash.

Yes, my iPad does many things better than my Porsche software, but then I use it for entirely different purposes.

Maybe, as a software engineer with over 40 years of experience, my expectations are different from the average driver 🤷‍♂️

I don't do many road trips and most of my charging is done at home so I'm sure that colors my perception. Hopefully, the planned changes to the EV charging infrastructure and opening of the Super Charger network will alleviate some of the road-tripping issues.

I do a lot through CarPlay including route planning and even opening/closing my garage doors so maybe that makes a difference as well.

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Cayenne S and 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm really not getting the software complaints. Personally, I don't have any major gripes about the software and only a few minor ones. It does everything I expect a car's software to do. My, admittedly limited, experience with Tesla's left me unimpressed with the software I found it irritating to do everything on the iPad glued to the dash.

Yes, my iPad does many things better than my Porsche software, but then I use it for entirely different purposes.

Maybe, as a software engineer with over 40 years of experience, my expectations are different from the average driver 🤷‍♂️

I don't do many road trips and most of my charging is done at home so I'm sure that colors my perception. Hopefully, the planned changes to the EV charging infrastructure and opening of the Super Charger network will alleviate some of the road-tripping issues.

I do a lot through CarPlay including route planning and even opening/closing my garage doors so maybe that makes a difference as well.
I’m with gnop1950 regarding the software. I have no software complaints since the Taycan software does everything I think it needs to do. I appreciate the iPhone app which lets me
Check the SOC and estimated remaining range and which lets me remotely turn on the air conditioning when I am out of the car - - a very beneficial software feature here in often hit Arizona.

Can anyone tell me what “must have” software features the Taycan lacks? Perhaps I am blissfully unaware of something important that really is needed in my truly awesome Taycan which is a REAL drivers car and not an electric transportation appliance as the originator of this thread described the Tesla Model Y

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
I’m with gnop1950 regarding the software. I have no software complaints since the Taycan software does everything I think it needs to do. I appreciate the iPhone app which lets me
Check the SOC and estimated remaining range and which lets me remotely turn on the air conditioning when I am out of the car - - a very beneficial software feature here in often hit Arizona.

Can anyone tell me what “must have” software features the Taycan lacks? Perhaps I am blissfully unaware of something important that really is needed in my truly awesome Taycan which is a REAL drivers car and not an electric transportation appliance as the originator of this thread described the Tesla Model Y
Without getting too deep into the weeds. Here's one shortcoming. Why doesn't the Taycan talk to the house WiFi? I live in an area of weak cell signal and in the garage the car is dead communication wise. I can't initiate charging, nor preconditioning the HVAC, nor send a route to the car, nor anything. Why did Porsche insist on routing everything through their servers, especially considering that said servers seem to have intermittent problems communicating? LTE reception is not a Taycan strong point and routing everything through the Porsche servers isn't doing us any favor. I wont even start on the shortcomings with road trip/charging planning. Why can't the car be "a REAL drivers car" and also have a state of the art software? It's a Porsche. It should do everything competently.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Unless you have owned a Tesla, you just don't know what you're missing. For example, something as simple as walk-away lock (missing in a Taycan), not having to press a button to start/stop the car, car locking whenever you press "lock" on the remote (or just walk away) - Taycan does it 95% of the time, the other 5% I have to open the door and press the power button before it lets me lock, similar when I get it, most of the time it starts by itself, but not every time. Other examples include the ability to close the trunk from the remote and/or not have to stand there watching it close while rain is falling on my head (taycan trunk will stop closing if I walk away while it's closing), when hill-hold or manouvering assist stop engages, with a Tesla you just hit the brake again and can let off slowly to start moving - Taycan you have to hit the accelerator, which is risky if the car stopped because you are only inches from an object away and you only want to move an inch closer. Tesla app is way better, it gives you real time information like location, temperature, etc - with Taycan it's always some cached value, some information not even there (like current car temperature - is the car preheated yet?) and for example I've stopped counting how often MyPorsche tells me my Taycan has open windows (when it doesn't). With a Tesla, you literally just keep the key fob (or phone) on you and you get-in, drive, get out, walk away - nothing to remember to click, the car will lock, unlock, start itself. My wife actually commented on this earlier, as she switched out from a Model S to an eTron - "Tesla was so much easier, you just got into it and drove". Generally, Tesla interface is intuitive to people of all ages, Taycan takes reading the manual or asking others on forums. Oh, let's not forget the Taycan locking me out of the app almost every time I road trip - APp says the car is in privacy mode, so I cannot pre-cool or pre-heat it when coming back from a hike for example, I get to the car, it's not in privacy mode. Problem usually resolves itself, but not for a few hours.

Don't get me wrong, I net prefer the Taycan, but on the software front and usability they are sadly lacking. The one thing that offsets it is the way it drives.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Without getting too deep into the weeds. Here's one shortcoming. Why doesn't the Taycan talk to the house WiFi? I live in an area of weak cell signal and in the garage the car is dead communication wise. I can't initiate charging, nor preconditioning the HVAC, nor send a route to the car, nor anything. Why did Porsche insist on routing everything through their servers, especially considering that said servers seem to have intermittent problems communicating? LTE reception is not a Taycan strong point and routing everything through the Porsche servers isn't doing us any favor. I wont even start on the shortcomings with road trip/charging planning. Why can't the car be "a REAL drivers car" and also have a state of the art software? It's a Porsche. It should do everything competently.
I hear they allow that in Russia. The rest of the world has to pay Porsche a monthly subscription. Allowing WiFi would allow people to not pay Porsche, but use their own hotspot instead.

PS> I solved the no cell signal in the garage by installing a Verizon LTE Extender (a femto cell), but I agree with you, I shouldn't have to go to that extreme - there is WiFi in the garage already available. If they really wanted to extract money for connectivity, they should have at least allowed WiFi while parked, and only lock connectivity behind the Porsche tax while driving.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
saying Tesla's sofware is like an iPad is like saying the iPhone lacks a physical keybaord - both are accurate statements but rather miss the point - until you've lived with it - and it's not the direct software, it's a series of small "touches" and constant refinement that make Tesla's software better. It's easier vs. porsche, less complex, better done, modern, and makes things easier than porsche…

I for one like the PIP when turning on the blinker that shows your blind spot - or how about a decent backup camera?

Porsche software is designed by automotive engineers - and it shows - Tesla's software is designed by people with human interaction experience and it shows. The design goals are totally different.

one example: Tesla's charging schedule and battery SOC % - light years better than Porsche's confusing timer's/profiles - and accomplishes more scenarios...

but Porsche's software is acceptable, but it's not "good or excellent". I expect their software to be as good as their mechanical engineering - unfortunately it appears they taught some ME's to code and what we ended up with is PCM.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
It’s disappointing that, having met some of these folks, and discussed the matter in person, the “better” comparisons persist. @daveo4EV and @whitex i know you know better - it’s not lack of skills, it’s an UX philosophy. It’d be trivial to do any of the things you enumerated in both your emails, and I’m sure you can find the reason Porsche have decided not to without much effort.

FWIW, I worked on a team that produced the BR DVD stack for the S Klasse MB launched at the end of the Noughts. We were subcontracted by Harman, who was doing the entire in-car “entertainment” (all UX, essentially) for MB. The specs - level of detail and precision, as well as the requirements themselves - were on par, if not better, than the best you would have seen in your own companies, and far better than the norm. For German auto mfrs - and I’m sure for others, too - software is extremely constrained, and designed for the worst case/to fail safely. There will be bugs, of course, the pace of changes will be slow, and “when in doubt, there is no doubt”. Hence no home WiFi (the only authority the car trusts is the P service), stopping closing when the key goes out of range, the hiccups with closing/unlocking of doors etc. It’s a choice, and it’s a lazy accusation to claim it’s incompetence.

☹

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The only software I consider super important is that giving the steering feel, that blending the regenerative and mechanical braking well, the stability management and active anti-roll bar algorithms.

Central locking was a great innovation, I was happy with it even when I just had a key.
SatNav was another, unfortunately whilst the maps and screen candy had got better most still don't actually compute the best route here in our complex road system on the routes I know well, so by implication probably any other, so whether it has all the chargers in is moot.

Most of the rest of the user interface I can take or leave and if there is something which works 95% of the time it is worse than useless IMO.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s disappointing that, having met some of these folks, and discussed the matter in person, the “better” comparisons persist. @daveo4EV and @whitex i know you know better - it’s not lack of skills, it’s an UX philosophy. It’d be trivial to do any of the things you enumerated in both your emails, and I’m sure you can find the reason Porsche have decided not to without much effort.

FWIW, I worked on a team that produced the BR DVD stack for the S Klasse MB launched at the end of the Noughts. We were subcontracted by Harman, who was doing the entire in-car “entertainment” (all UX, essentially) for MB. The specs - level of detail and precision, as well as the requirements themselves - were on par, if not better, than the best you would have seen in your own companies, and far better than the norm. For German auto mfrs - and I’m sure for others, too - software is extremely constrained, and designed for the worst case/to fail safely. There will be bugs, of course, the pace of changes will be slow, and “when in doubt, there is no doubt”. Hence no home WiFi (the only authority the car trusts is the P service), stopping closing when the key goes out of range, the hiccups with closing/unlocking of doors etc. It’s a choice, and it’s a lazy accusation to claim it’s incompetence.

☹
I can see how you can claim the trunk not closing when I walk away , or the fact that I cannot close it from the remote, is due to some overly paranoid safety restriction. But car not allowing me to lock it, even when I hit the lock on the remote seems opposite of paranoid - is it really safer if I click LOCK and the car stays unlocked while parked somewhere while I'm away from it? How is it safer? I remember being stuck in a snow storm trying to lock my Taycan for a few minutes, gave up, went to warm up, came out for another few minutes to finally get it to lock. How is it safer to fake out my app into saying the car is in privacy mode, while it is not - are you saying the car has decided it's been stolen and it's trying to prevent vigilante justice, preventing me from finding it? How overly paternalistic approach from Porsche. ;) I think your no home WiFi justification is also stretching it - in this day and age, any competent cloud developer can secure connectivity - there are protocols, processes, even ready to buy and use code. I would claim Porsche trusting a collection of cellular providers around the world with securing their car communications is a much less secure move than doing an end-to-end secure comms. It's not like Porsche doesn't already have exposed WiFi available for hackers (Apple CarPlay, Hotspot, Wireless Android Auto). I also seriously doubt every one of the cellular providers they use actually guarantees secure tunnel to Porsche servers and nothing else (remember the famous complete remote control takeover from the open internet Jeep hack, yes Chrysler tried blaming it on Sprint, but the result was Sprint was not liable, so Porsche should know better). Another one, the charging user interface, do you really think they designed the interface at all? It mirrors the darn ISO 15118 API's! It would be like implementing loading/saving a file by adding a button "Open File", which would pop up a dialog with "read/write/append" mode choice, then a separate button for "Write Data", perhaps a popup for block size, then a 3rd button for "Close File". To me it shows a lack of end-to-end user experience design, not some paranoia over safety concerns. How is the backup camera with flashy 3D view safer than just a clear backup camera, perhaps side view separately? Turns out some Taycan's actually have "curb view", but not mine because I paid Porsche extra. Side note, my wife has an audi with a similar system, it actually works a little better because a) you can make the overhead view full screen and b) her car is taller so the cameras are higher, making for a better view - still not great, but much better than the Taycan, in which the backup camera, 3D views, etc are useless when driving within a foot of any objects taller than a curb. How it is safer for me to receive audi and popup notifications while driving every time the PCM loads the next chunk of the map? How is it that they lock out the keyboard while driving, or reading of text messages, but still pop up notifications advertising Taycan features???

I know the automotive guys follow rigid processes, and they have many challenges communicating between their Tier 1 suppliers, but honestly, I don't think anyone has fully designed the UX for a lot of these features with actual drivers in mind. IMO, some were designed for a flashy demo to execs and/or media, while others (like the charging interface) were not designed at all, someone just needed to put a checkbox next to "implemented ISO 15118" and they did it by mirror its APIs. Would I call it incompetence, yes, perhaps not at the actual implementation level, but at product planning and user experience design.

Another thing about the Taycan is its UI performance. I also was rather shocked at how unresponsive the PCM can be, for example when I hit the climate menu for the first time in a while. Yes, I know the docker container architecture Porsche has chosen is the reason, but did they have to sacrifice responsiveness to save a few bucks on hardware? I suspect UI snappiness is not even a metric for them (or they'd fail). I remember working on tablets from a reputable consumer electronics company - they actually had extensive UI responsiveness test and metrics which had to be met. Those tablets were a lot more responsive than the PCM in a Porsche is, with a lot less hardware too (it was years ago). Remember when cars have buttons which just did things, rather than maybe do them a second or two later?

Sorry for going off like that, I just went through it with my wife of how horrible Audi eTron user experience usecases are with my wife, like if you start the car without your foot on the brake, AC/heat does not come on. Why is it that if you start the car, even if driver door is open and nobody sitting in the driver seat, the trunk will no longer open with a remote, but will with the button on the hatch. How the eTron, just like the Taycan, doesn't let her lock it sometimes (I experienced it myself today, though unlike the Taycan, I don't have a clear repro - so a different bug or safety paranoia). I got used to the Taycan quirks, though things like the backup camera or fake privacy mode on the app still irk me every time I run into them. I think it's because I have more of an early adopter mindset, so am willing to live with some idiosyncrasies (and idiocies? ;)) of the design in lieu of other benefits, but someone like my wife who just wants the car to be a reliable transportation, the German software is lacking (she is seriously considering getting rid of the eTron after just a few weeks). Cars should be designed for people to use, and no car will be 100% safe - the safest car is a bricked car in your garage, least likely to hurt anyone, but useless to most people (all but people who want a car just to show off in their garage).

So with all due respect, I still stand by my original assertion - Taycan has very impressive hardware, but their user facing software is lacking from a number of aspects, primarily user experience design (or lack thereof), but also responsiveness/snappiness of the UI. The bugs I can understand, no software is bug free, but with Porsche touting OTA, why are they not fixing them sooner?

</rant>

PS> Full disclosure, Tesla software is far from perfect, but it really is in a different league as far as usability. Maybe if you never owned one, you just don't know what you're missing. Humans really do get used to good things really quickly. I do see some influence from Tesla usability in a Porsche, for example holding the diamond button brings up the menu for programming the shortcuts - on the Audi you have to find it yourself in the menus, no search function either (and they have so many less choices for the shortcuts). Taycan also has a dedicated button to raise the suspension, in the eTron it takes multiple touch clicks, or one physical button followed by a well times touch on the screen, but you never know when it's done because the chassis height disappears from the screen well before the car is raised. So overall, I will say Porsche software is actually more usable than Audi, at least so far.

Last edited:

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
I don’t mind the interface and UX of the Porsche. Is it perfect no of course not but it’s a car I don’t expect an amazing UX/UI experience. I do not interact with it much. I wish it was snappier to start up some times but that’s about it. Also someone mentioned the car won’t auto start. You can have it auto start right when you open the door and sit down. You still have to manually shut it off though. I think Porsche should keep on the same track they are on which is focusing on the driving experience. The UI is good enough they can keep resources on it to keep developing but at no point should resources get taken away from the other departments.
Sponsored