TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
Thanks for your thread, as I was wondering if I should buy the casing I think I will rather buy the Wall Bracket
Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated TE20MODTD0030_low_Wandhalterung_Basis_huge

No so nice (at least less bulky) but maybe less trouble, and lucky me as my future Taycan will be a MY2021 the connect mobile charger comes as a free option
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Bsteffes awesome wheel choice on your build!! I was torn between the Mission E style wheels and those - I choose Misson E but was very very tempted by your wheels - they simply look great and have better efficiency.

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
I also received a "device temp too high" warning for a few seconds immediately following 85% charge. The message cleared before I could get a picture. Charging with Porsche Dock door closed.

The PMCC is next to my service panel, using 14-50 industrial grade receptacle. Observed temps were 93 deg F ambient, 125 deg F at the plug and breaker, 140 deg F on the cable at the top of the PMCC, 130 deg F exiting the PMCC and 120-125 deg F at the vehicle.

Whats the best way to document this event with Porsche?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the problem with "documenting" this issue for Porsche is that while the temps are "high" by human standards for handling - they are no where near close to any "safety" issues…the PMCC even with surface temps in excess of 150F are not unsafe electrically…or operationally.

but I'd discuss with your dealer or any contact with Porsche NA that while there may or may not be a safety issue, there is certainly a customer experience and expectations issue for a mobile device and operating environment.

I'm not confident there is a lot of traction to be gained with porsche on this given the clear lack of a safety issue - but we can continue to communicate our disappointment with this product for it's intended use as a mobile device.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
having said what I said above - my dealer told me (or is placating me) that my photo from this thread…I eMail my sales and service contacts at my local dealer my documented photo.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/nema-14-50-supply-cable-heat-data.1940/

caused quite a stir with Porsche NA and apparently crystalized the internal discussions with clear and unambiguous feedback via demonstration of what temps are occurring and where they are occurring in the PMCC system.

but that's only my $0.02 - your milage may vary.

I'd love to see Porsche make some changes, but I'm not hopeful that they will be compelled to anytime in the near future. I would be unsurprised with unannounced changes to the PMCC for the MY'2022 production with slight changes to wire gauge and such…I would expect to see PMCC part number revisions that are more robust for future PMCC systems - but given the lack of any demonstrable safety or operational issue I would be hard pressed to believe there is sufficient cause for a recall - but I'm not an expert in such matters.

Last edited:

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
@daveo4EV I agree its probably not a safety issue. I don't believe the temps I am seeing are excessive. However, getting warning messages during charging certainly impacts the customer experience and expectations of a $1,590 charger and dock especially if installed correctly. Porsche may not take any action but if enough folks bring it up, maybe.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I am not sure why you would install the PMCC in the Wall Box in a garage? For the looks and cable management I guess, but there is no need for the Dock in my opinion. The PMCC came with a fixing that can be put on the wall and holds the charger securely. And it is very easy to unplug and bring with you if you wish. I personally had thought that the Dock was meant for outside installation for security, so nobody walked away with your charger and for extra protection against the weather? But I guess hot weather and the sun shining on the Dock will not score any plus points either?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Scandinavian I agree with the Dock being "un-necessary for an indoor installation - but Porsche markets its for both indoor and outdoor use, and as a high quality "upgrade" for your PMCC should you want the look of the Porsche Dock…

there is also one minor issue - _IF_ you order the Dock Porsche does not "include" the basic wall mount - so you'd have to be mindful to order that - and pay Porsche's outrageous pricing for their "basic" non-dock mount.

all in all day by day my opinion of the PMCC decreases with each passing hour and if it were not forced as part of the purchase process in the US I would 100% recommend that NOT A SINGLE TAYCAN CUSTOMER purchase the Porsche NA EVSE - it's is grossly overpriced (even by porsche statndards) and fails to be competitive on any particular dimension even if price were no object.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the basic Wall mount unit for the PMCC is $169.95 - which is 1/2 the cost of an ENTIRE mobile EVSE that doesn't have the problems of the PMCC.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/sku971hybbracket.html

for $170 I'd budget the $170 and buy the Mustart or Tesla Gen2 UMC for $300 and have a better mobile EVSE that doesn't overheat, is more portable, and has a greater selection of NEMA plug adapters, is lighter, more rugged, and smaller.

I used to Porsche being expensive, but normally they are also the best or one of the best in class for their offering. The Porsche EVSE is only expensive, and nothing else.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
there is also one minor issue - _IF_ you order the Dock Porsche does not "include" the basic wall mount - so you'd have to be mindful to order that - and pay Porsche's outrageous pricing for their "basic" non-dock mount.
I completely agree with you that I would not even look at that PMMC for a millisecond unless it was forced upon you! The Do k looks nice but.....

And from what I have seen the holder for the PMCC in the Dock is exactly the same as the basic holder. And at least here that was all part of the package. I received the holder, the PMCC with a normal domestic socket, and a 32 amp three phase cable, a 2.5 meter car cable and a 7.5 meter car cable. All packaged nicely in the bag with the hooks for the trunk.

I would never bring it for a road trip since it is humongously big!

So are you saying the US does not deliver the PMCC with the standard wall holder and charges extra for it?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So are you saying the US does not deliver the PMCC with the standard wall holder and charges extra for it?
in my case that is correct - I have always guessed it was because I ordered the dock as part of the order. It could also be a mistake on my order and I just didn't receive the basic mount but I was supposed to.

so obtaining the "basic wall mount" is another $170 unless you can guilt your dealer into comping you for it cause the charger in the dock is over heating…

I believe if you just order the PMCC - the basic wall mount is included - if you order the Dock they "drop" the basic wall mount and only deliver the PMCC and the Dock - that means you really should order the "dock" off book and separately - rather than with your vehicle order, because you'll get the basic "dock" then for "free"

I documented the exact PMCC parts that came with my 2020 Taycan Turbo in this thread

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-for-the-porsche-mobile-charger-connect.1820/

I was delivered the following items when taking delivery of my 2020 North American Taycan Turbo
  1. part #9Y0.971.675.BL - Porsche Mobile Charge Connect unit
  2. part #7PP.971.676.BD - Porsche Mobile Charge Connect J-1772 25 foot cable ($0 at order time - highlyrecommended for most installs)
  3. part #7PP.971.678.ED- Porsche Mobile Charge Connect NEMA 14-50 supply cable - un-attached - this is the North American default unless you specify otherwise in your order
  4. part #7PP.971.678.CC - Porsche Mobile Charge Connect NEMA 5-15 supply cable - un-attached -
  5. *-star tool Allen wrench for attaching/detaching the supply cables to the PMCC
    1. *-star screw for attachment of the NEMA 14-50 cable - easily lost and very very small
    2. this tool appears to be fairly unique - I'd recommend not losing it - I've taped mine and the bag it came from to the inside of the Porsche Charging Dock enclosure.
  6. part #9Y0.860.811 - Porsche Mobile Charger Connect storage bag with zipper cover and two straps with carabiner attachments perfectly spaced for attachment in the rear trunk of the Taycan
  7. part #7PP.915.706.- Porsche Charging Dock (optional)
    1. 2 locking keys for the Charging Dock
  8. part #9Y0012003- Porsche Mobile Charge Connect - Operating Manual
  9. part #9Y0.012.701.A- Porsche Mobile Charge Connect - Installation Manual ROW
  10. part #9Y0.012.003.A - Porsche Mobile Charge Connect - Gebruiksaanwijzing
  11. part #9Y0012701 - Porsche Mobile Charge Connect - Installation Manual EU
My delivery items did _NOT_ include the PMCC "basic" mount - I believe this was excluded due to my order containing Porsche Charging Dock.

The one surprise, because this is unclear from the Porsche configurator, is the inclusion of the NEMA 5-15 supply cable (house hold outlet) - this means your Porsche is delivered to you with a single 240 volt supply cable as ordered (14-50, 6-50, 14-30, 6-30) and a 5-15 120 volt 12/15 amp cable.

OP
OP
Bsteffes

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 S (s) Cayenne S, Taycan 4s, GT4 clubsport
Country flag
@Bsteffes awesome wheel choice on your build!! I was torn between the Mission E style wheels and those - I choose Misson E but was very very tempted by your wheels - they simply look great and have better efficiency.
Appreciate that....I had the mission E wheels on....but at the last minute...changed. I LOVE these wheels. and with the PSCB...zero dust. But is there really a bad wheel choice on a Taycan?? ;)

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
the basic Wall mount unit for the PMCC is $169.95 - which is 1/2 the cost of an ENTIRE mobile EVSE that doesn't have the problems of the PMCC.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/sku971hybbracket.html

for $170 I'd budget the $170 and buy the Mustart or Tesla Gen2 UMC for $300 and have a better mobile EVSE that doesn't overheat, is more portable, and has a greater selection of NEMA plug adapters, is lighter, more rugged, and smaller.

I used to Porsche being expensive, but normally they are also the best or one of the best in class for their offering. The Porsche EVSE is only expensive, and nothing else.
Hi @daveo4EV, I saw your earlier well-documented description of the ideal mobile charger set built around the Tesla Gen 2 UMC, a TeslaTap, plus several types of plugs. Today, would you still go for the Tesla Gen 2 UMC as a mobile/spare/emergency charger, or for the Mustart, or for something else altogether? Thanks for your invaluable insights and clear explanations.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Kingske that's a great question

for today I still consider both "equal" choices…

the Mustart is a great choice and has the advantage of being native J-1772 - so you don't have the hassle of the TEslaTap/JDApter every time you use it

but Mustart makes two products that seem to be excellent choices
  1. Mustart Level 2 EV chargers all work great - but do NOT have adapters - they are "fixed" supply cable EVSE's - but they do make a 40 amp NEMA 14-50/6-50 charger - a great mobile choice vs. PMCC - but not good for "road warrior" duty if NEMA adapters are what you are after
  2. Mustart Level 2 Intelligent EVSE's have the multiple NEMA plug adapters as options, but remain only 32 amps like the Tesla UMC Gen2
as a pure 40 amp substitute for the PMCC the Mustart level 2 Portable EVSE at 40 amps $350'ish from amazon is a great choice, but only one plug adapter

if road warrior duty is your goal and multiple NEMA adapters is your goal both the Tesla UMC and Mustart options are pretty equal in feature set and cost IMHO

I also still strongly believe you're going to own a TeslaTap/JDapter anyways - independent of your mobile EVSE - so that cost should be treated separately. The downside of the Tesla UMC Gen2 is that you must use/own a TEslaTAp/JDAapter each time you use it - which a slight hassle when unpacking and setting up your mobile charger.

also keep in mind the 40 vs. 32 amp difference only matters for two NEMA plugs - 14-50 & 6-50 - all other NEMA plugs are 30 amps or less - so the 32 amp limit really doesn't matter for "true" road warrior usage…

either option is probably better than the PMCC on a number of fronts.

my ideal setup could be:
  1. ClipperCreek HCS60 in the garage (hardwired)
  2. Mustart Intelligent/Tesla UMC Gen2 in the car with multiple NEMA adapters for road warrior duty.
  3. TeslaTap/JDAapter (80 amp version) for Tesla Charger usage when "on the road".
Sponsored