Porsche Wall Charger Connect outputs how many kwh at 48 amps?

Annikita

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Base
Country flag
Our car arrives in March and we are considering the Porsche Wall Connect in hopes of taking advantage of faster charge times. (We have the upgraded onboard charger).

We have a 60 ampbreaker feeding the wire to the garage. I understand this limits us to pulling 48 amps. At 48 amps, how many kwh will the Wall Charger Connect output? I couldn’t find this information in the manual.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
watts = Volts * AMPs
240 volts * 48 amps = ~11,000 watts - or 11 kW

if you “push” 11 kW for 1 hour of charging that is 11 kWh (Kilowatt Hours)

car is approximately 83.4 kWh to charge

83.4 kWh (battery charge capacity) / 11 kW = 7.5 hours to fully charge from 0% to 100% - give or take 1/2 hour due to charging overhead and the fact that charging is not 100% efficient.

you don’t typically drain EV’s to nearly zero % in daily driving - more typically 20-40% battery is daily usage - so your typical overnight daily charging session will be 3 hours or less…

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
to take advantage of the upgraded 19.2 kW onboard charging you need a 100 amp breaker (80 amp of charging capacity) and appropriate wiring and such - ClipperCreek HCS 100 _OR_ the PorscheWall charger are an excellent choice for an 80/100 amp EV charger…although the Porsche charger is the more flexible choice vs. the ClipperCreek because it can be configured to match most any install since the amp’s are adjustable via configuration dip-switches inside the charger.

Standard equipment on the Taycan is a 48 amp charger (60 amp breaker)
Optional AC charging equipment ($1680 last time I checked) upgrades to a 19.2 kW charger (80 amp charging capacity requiring a 100 amp breaker)

unless you find a 100/80 amp charger in the wild (a very very rare bird in North America) utlization of the upgraded charger will be very very low unless you install a ClipperCreek HCS-100 or Porsche Wall Charger w/100 amp breaker in your home…

if you don’t have 100 amp charging at home (or know of one you plan to use regularly) the upgraded charger (beyond 11 kW) will see virtually no usage…most AC chargers in North America you’ll encounter when away from home are 40 amps or less.

_IF_ you do encounter a 100/80 amp L2 AC charger “in the wild” it’s most likely to be a Tesla Destination charger (95% likely) - and it will require an 80 amp TeslaTap to safely utilize it w/Taycan.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
how many kwh will the Wall Charger Connect output? I couldn’t find this information in the manual.
small note - EV chargers - EVSE’s - do not “output” kWh (kilowatt hours) - that’s like asking how many gallons come out of a gas pump (depends on how long you run the pump) - gasoline tanks hold gallons (battery) - pumps provide “flow rates” (gallons per-minute)

in the EV world
  • capacity is measured in kilowatt-hours
  • kW is what you get when plugged in
if you plugged in for one hour - you will get “kWh’s” - if you’re plugged in for less time you get less kWh’s even though the flow rate is unchanged from the charger…
  • home outlet will provide - 1.44 kW
  • NEMA 14-50 will provide - 9.6 kW
  • 60 amp breaker 48 amp charge will provide - 11 kW
  • functional Electrify American charger will provide 350 kW
    • Taycan will charge up to 270 kW if conditions are ideal
all of these different charge rates will provide kWh’s given “time” - i.e. how long are you plugged in at that flow rate (* - note there is NO kWh’s mentioned in the list above)

the amount of time it takes to charge therefore depends on two factors
  1. what is your flow rate? (watts = volts * amps)
  2. how much capacity do you require to “fill” the battery (kWh’s)
if on friday you drive 68 miles during the day - and the Taycan uses 2.7 kWh per-mile - you require 25 kWh to replenish the battery capacity you used driving 68 miles…given the table above (home out to EA charger) you would therefore need the following amounts of time to replenish 25 kWh of battery capacity
  • house hold outlet (1.44 kW) - 25 kWh requires 17 hours of charge time (25 kWh / 1.44 kW)
  • NEMA 14-50 - 25 kWh requires 2.6 Hours (25 kWh / 9.6 kW)
  • 60 amp breaker (48 amp charge rate) - 25 kWh requires 2.2 Hours (25 / 11 kW)
  • EA 350 kW charger (270 kW max Taycan ideal rate) - 25 kWh / 270 kW = .09 hours or 5.5 minutes…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Our car arrives in March and we are considering the Porsche Wall Connect in hopes of taking advantage of faster charge times. (We have the upgraded onboard charger).

We have a 60 ampbreaker feeding the wire to the garage. I understand this limits us to pulling 48 amps. At 48 amps, how many kwh will the Wall Charger Connect output? I couldn’t find this information in the manual.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...age…for-those-that-wish-to-over-do-it-….2343/

OP
OP

Annikita

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Base
Country flag
watts = Volts * AMPs
240 volts * 48 amps = ~11,000 watts - or 11 kW

if you “push” 11 kW for 1 hour of charging that is 11 kWh (Kilowatt Hours)

car is approximately 83.4 kWh to charge

83.4 kWh (battery charge capacity) / 11 kW = 7.5 hours to fully charge from 0% to 100% - give or take 1/2 hour due to charging overhead and the fact that charging is not 100% efficient.

you don’t typically drain EV’s to nearly zero % in daily driving - more typically 20-40% battery is daily usage - so your typical overnight daily charging session will be 3 hours or less…
Thanks! This is the formula I needed!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the upgraded 19.2 kW charger for Taycan is a wholely separate thing from FastDC commerical charging (Electrify america, EVGo, ChargePoint etc…)

the onboard AC charger (used for home charging) at limited to 19.2 kW maximum ($1680 option) - 11 kW “standard” equipment ($0 option)
the onboard DC charge is limited to 270 kW and is used at public DC Fast Chargers (CCS plugs)

the two charging rate limits are separate from one another - and when charging the Taycan you are using one or the other - never both at once…
  • home and work most likley = AC L2 Charging (11 kW or 19.2 kW charging limit)
  • public L2/AC chargers (work/malls/airports) most likely = 30 AMP 208V chargers (7-6 kW or less)
  • public FastDC chargers (CCS plug) (Electrify America, ChargePoint, Blink, EVGo) = 25 kW to 350 kW charge rate depending on the charger
    • 50 kW, 62 kW, 125 kW, 150 kW, 200 kW & 350 kW are common “speeds” you will encounter

OP
OP

Annikita

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Base
Country flag
the upgraded 19.2 kW charger for Taycan is a wholely separate thing from FastDC commerical charging (Electrify america, EVGo, ChargePoint etc…)

the onboard AC charger (used for home charging) at limited to 19.2 kW maximum ($1680 option) - 11 kW “standard” equipment ($0 option)
the onboard DC charge is limited to 270 kW and is used at public DC Fast Chargers (CCS plugs)

the two charging rate limits are separate from one another - and when charging the Taycan you are using one or the other - never both at once…
  • home and work most likley = AC L2 Charging (11 kW or 19.2 kW charging limit)
  • public L2/AC chargers (work/malls/airports) most likely = 30 AMP 208V chargers (7-6 kW or less)
  • public FastDC chargers (CCS plug) (Electrify America, ChargePoint, Blink, EVGo) = 25 kW to 350 kW charge rate depending on the charger
    • 50 kW, 62 kW, 125 kW, 150 kW, 200 kW & 350 kW are common “speeds” you will encounter
I have referenced your responses many times. Thank you so much for the wealth of information. It is everything I needed to know in one spot that does not require me to scroll through aYouTube video to find the bit of info I need. Thanks so much for your time.
Sponsored