PSA for NA owners: do not bring your PMCC to dealer

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Throttling the amperage, if that's the end result, is not a solution to the core issue. If they plan to limit the PMC/C to 20A, then why did I waste money installing a 50A breaker and industrial receptacle?
So that once your obsession with using Porsche EVSE wears off, you can pick up an EVSE which will just plug in but work at 40A without melting your outlets.
Sponsored

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
...then why did I waste money installing a 50A breaker and industrial receptacle?
So that once your obsession with using Porsche EVSE wears off, you can pick up an EVSE which will just plug in but work at 40A without melting your outlets.
I entered this with no illusions. The PMCC came free with the car, so I'll use it until it doesn't work for me anymore and only then spend money on a replacement.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I entered this with no illusions. The PMCC came free with the car, so I'll use it until it doesn't work for me anymore and only then spend money on a replacement.
Change name to “ThriftyWolf”?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
How do you think I was able to buy a Porsche in the first place? :)
No doubt, my wife is also quite thrifty. I see it as a good quality in people.

eisenb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
This whole charger thing is really confusing. I just picked up my Taycan last week and am kind of stumbling through this.

When I picked up the car, the dealer gave me the Porsche charger, but only with the 110v cable which means it’ll take 3 years to charge the car (exaggerating). They kept the 220v cable due to the recall. They told me to go out and buy a charger, call 1800-Porsche, and get credited up to $750. Easy, enough - did that the next day and installed it.

Called Porsche NA on Mon (they were super helpful) and they tell me the dealer is supposed to fill out a APB6 (I think) form to get me re-imbursed. But, no problem, they’ll contact the dealer on my behalf to get the ball rolling. Dealer calls that day and tells me to send them my receipt. I send it that night.

On Fri, I’m contact the dealer for an ETA and they say my paperwork is filled out, in the pile to go out eventually… ETA is spring for my refund. Um, OK - whatever I guess… it is what it is.

Later Fri, Porsche NA called to follow up to see how things were going on that and I told them that the dealer has my receipt and says ETA is spring and Porsche is like “WTF? No way is it that long.” So they said they’re going to reach out again to the dealer to give them a push.

Really weird… not sure what kind of game the dealer is playing unless they’re just hoping I’ll forget and give up (does the refund come out of the dealer or something?). Anyway, we’ll see where this is going. Kind of reminds me of the time a BMW dealer tried to keep my loyalty discount and BMW NA slapped them around when they found out and got it back for me.

The general manager did seem to say that they were supposed to give me a charger… so I wonder if the guys messed up by telling me to get my own. I told him it’s too late for that as the charger has already been purchased and installed (it’s a wall charger). Maybe the game is that the dealer buys some cheap-o charger, gives that to you, then bills Porsche the full $750 and pockets the difference?

Porsche NA is wonderful to work with by the way (and I mean this in a non-facetious way... they're excellent).

FYI - the dealer mentioned something about a $500 additional credit for the inconvenience. Does anyone know anything about that? Do I need to do anything or does Porsche NA reach out to me or something? I’d love to use it to buy something like ALK after Porsche Germany figures out why no FoD options are showing up on my car.

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Brought my car in today for routine service. Not surprised to hear there is a recall on the PMCC which was posted on here a few weeks ago. However, what surpised me was how this recall is being done. Porsche basically CONFISCATED my PMCC, citing the cables are overheating leading to damage.

I was then provided with this as an alternative.

A bit shocked at how this is being carried out by Porsche... what a joke. Service advisor was of course apologetic but at this stage he says he knows no further information on either replacement or refund.
If you have not already, call PorscheNA - not the dealer - tell them what happened at the dealer. What you described - losing your PMCC and getting a grizzlie instead - is not what the recall notice Porsche sent to US NHTSA describes as the process for customers.
Your post says "Porsche", when I believe what you meant was local Porsche dealer.
What happened to you is not right, and I don't think PorscheNA would approve of it.
Good luck.

TSB from Porsche: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCMN-23V841-8821.pdf
Forum post: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-and-replacing-if-necessary-dec-6-2023.18669/

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
If you have not already, call PorscheNA - not the dealer - tell them what happened at the dealer. What you described - losing your PMCC and getting a grizzlie instead - is not what the recall notice Porsche sent to US NHTSA describes as the process for customers.
Your post says "Porsche", when I believe what you meant was local Porsche dealer.
What happened to you is not right, and I don't think PorscheNA would approve of it.
Good luck.

TSB from Porsche: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCMN-23V841-8821.pdf
Forum post: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/recall-apb2-–-checking-high-volt-battery-and-replacing-if-necessary-dec-6-2023.18669/
I think OP is based in Canada. (Hence my quip about the replacement EVSE.) PCNA is for “North America”, but I’m not sure the NHTSA regulations apply across the border.

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Taycan is in right now for misc services and I was also told to bring in the PMCC. My SA told me flat out that he is not keeping my EVSE or doing the recall until they actually start receiving the updated power cables.

Nice to see there remain NA dealerships that still allow independent thought.
Mine (Tampa)told me to bring in the evse as all they needed to do was put a warning label on it (base unit which they cannot downgrade to 20 amps with software). Be nice to be offered a $750 credit like @enzo5000 mentioned, as I already have a Tesla Gen 3.

PoorShah

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan GTS, 64 Chevelle SS, BMW 7LI, X-Plaid
Country flag
For future reference for folks who have yet to talk to your dealer about your PMCC.

So after reading this thread earlier this morning, and fearful that the dealer would "steal" my PMCC out of my frunk during my next service visit, I decided to follow the instructions on the recall notice.

1. I called Porsche and the nice agent looked up my vin and validated that there is indeed a PMCC recall. She also mentioned there is some thermal recall as well. I wasn't really paying attention so sorry for the lack of detail on that one. She suggested I setup an appointment with my local service center.

2. I setup a service appointment and called out both recalls

3. Dealer surprisingly responded quite quickly. Got a text message from the dealer saying my thermal recall issue has already been taken care of. And that the PMCC recall is still in progress. I asked if I should stop using it and the service center said, "there's nothing on the notes that caution continued use." LOL. I said, "OK, well then I'll keep using it. If it's still in progress, can I just get reimbursement for a new one since I don't want to risk it". They stop responding and then reply, "replacement parts will be provided soon. Porsche will contact you when the replacement parts have been received."

I'm starting to wonder how consistent and standardized the approach to recalls are treated across all dealerships. Almost feels like it's up to the discretion of each dealer on how they want to address this. So I guess I'll just wait for someone to call me about a replacement part?

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get the $750 reimbursement, I'd love to take advantage of that.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Tooney, the nhtsa doc says "VIN list attached", but the link requires a Porsche Partner Network account - presumably only dealers know who is impacted?
Yes, dealers and PCNA, and maybe owners can find out on the Porsche recall site, but I don't know how reliable that is.

I have no proof, but I believe that for some Porsche campaigns, the affected VINs list changes from time to time. A campaign to address some safety-related issue is opened, shared with NHTSA, but at least initially, the VIN list is less than (or more than) all the affected vehicles. As the campaign progresses, the VIN list gets modified.

Last edited:

PoorShah

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan GTS, 64 Chevelle SS, BMW 7LI, X-Plaid
Country flag
Yeah, I asked the Porsche agent. "Why would the charger be associated with my VIN? I bought it separate from my car."

She paused for a moment and said "you're right, see your dealer..."

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Yes, dealers and PCNA, and maybe owners can find out on the Porsche recall site, but I don't know how reliable that is.

I have no proof, but I believe that for some Porsche campaigns, the affected VINs list changes from time to time. A campaign to address some safety-related issue is opened, shared with NHTSA, but at least initially, the VIN list is less than (or more than) all the affected vehicles. As the campaign progresses, the VIN list gets modified.
I asked my SA, and was told my VIN is affected by the recall "under scope 2" (presumably scope 1 is the stop-sale/non-delivered cars). Apparently Porsche has not yet provided a replacement for the charging cable (just confirming previous posts). No ETA, nothing else re: compensation.

I'm rather fond of my PMC+ for road trips - at a quick glance it appears only a few of the "best rated" mobile EVSEs are suitable for using in rain/snow.
Sponsored