ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have had my speed reduced in Range Mode, but only when I was using the navigation system and routing to a destination that would leave me below 10%. Then the car limits top speed to 55mph. This is a bit annoying for me as I have found it's estimates too be very accurate and I trust even a 3-5% arrival and will monitor it and reduce. To overcome this I do one of two things:
  1. Disable vehicle navigation and use my phone for that and continue using range mode.
  2. Switch to normal mode and continue using vehicle navigation. Though this does not always work because sometimes it seems to force me to have a charging stop added until I get into no man's land.
  3. To utilize the battery preheating and optimal driving, I end up using a combination of above. I use range mode without vehicle navigation until I am about a half hour from my destination then switch to normal mode and use vehicle navigation to the dcfc which will trigger battery preheating.
The above technique #3 does well for me. Are you still just a few days ago. Able to get battery to 84% on arrival and then had 230-260kw charging up to 32%.
This can be a bit of a pain and I am certainly hoping that Porsche will eventually add some options so that I can remove/veto charging stops and somehow limit range mode restrictions unless arrival percentage is below 3% or such.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Unfortunately my issue is simply the Range setting menu disappearing and as I don't use the nav or any charging profiles, it seems to be a random software glitch. So far nothing has fixed it. Full battery, low battery, parked, moving, switching modes, switching to KM, resetting trip computer, long periods turned off. The "Range mode setting" menu is simply gone.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hahaha. My servicing dealership told me "the car can't be set above 55 in range mode" and then told me to take my business elsewhere and hung up on me. Fantastic.

*edit* After an email to the GM they're suddenly interested in helping me. Still took some explaining how Range mode works and they wanted me to take a video to "demonstrate the problem". All three Seattle area Porsche dealerships are pretty awful.

Thankfully I also contacted Luke @ Grapevine (the awesome rep that answers questions on here) and he is on the case.

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hahaha. My servicing dealership told me "the car can't be set above 55 in range mode" and then told me to take my business elsewhere and hung up on me. Fantastic.
Wow. I would find out who is the area manager at PCNA and report this.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
*poof* Like magic, the "Range Drive Mode Configuration" menu is back this morning. Nothing at all changed, it just decided to rejoin the party. Oddly it's now selectable regardless of drive mode, whereas before I could have sworn I could only access it when IN "Range mode". Admittedly I only looked at the menu twice before now so it's possible I am mistaken on that last part.

Glad it fixed itself because the Porsche reps had no clue what I was talking about.

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
I’ve the same problem from yesterday
My2021

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve the same problem from yesterday
My2021
I too have had the problem with my 2020 since the end of January when I took it in for service and they applied the latest software updates. I made a video and sent it to Portia North America on January 31st, still waiting for a solution. Right now my max speed for range mode is 80 mph and I keep having to go to normal mode when in more aggressive freeway situations.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I too have had the problem with my 2020 since the end of January when I took it in for service and they applied the latest software updates. I made a video and sent it to Portia North America on January 31st, still waiting for a solution. Right now my max speed for range mode is 80 mph and I keep having to go to normal mode when in more aggressive freeway situations.
If you’re going 80+ there is no point being in range mode.

Tesla has a nice energy graph. You can change the x axis to 5/15/30 miles, ans the data points to average or instantaneous. You can view it as consumption, or in trip mode see the estimated line compared to actual. I use it all the time when I’m pushing range (I aim to reach chargers at 5% or less sometimes.)

It would be nice if Tesla would add these features.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
from what I've read the difference in consumption is not all that great between range mode and normal or sport mode. I plan to be in sport mode most of the time only using range mode if on an extended trip out of my normal driving area

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you’re going 80+ there is no point being in range mode.

Tesla has a nice energy graph. You can change the x axis to 5/15/30 miles, ans the data points to average or instantaneous. You can view it as consumption, or in trip mode see the estimated line compared to actual. I use it all the time when I’m pushing range (I aim to reach chargers at 5% or less sometimes.)

It would be nice if Tesla would add these features.
Well I think Range Mode is much more significant on a Porsche than the software only solution that Tesla provides. On the Porsche it uses the front wheel motor only at a higher speed when you are not performing a strong acceleration and not breaking. And as the Porsche has a rear transmission it is able to disengage that motor completely in these states. So although I am a software guy, I do appreciate solutions that involve advanced hardware.

All this being said I agree that it is not a big difference in range added, maybe 5%. @kort, But the second reason I use it is to lower the throttle response which does make the ride more enjoyable for my spouse which in turn makes the ride more enjoyable for me. I must admit that I do use Sport Mode when I am alone. :cool:

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Well I think Range Mode is much more significant on a Porsche than the software only solution that Tesla provides. On the Porsche it uses the front wheel motor only at a higher speed when you are not performing a strong acceleration and not breaking. And as the Porsche has a rear transmission it is able to disengage that motor completely in these states. So although I am a software guy, I do appreciate solutions that involve advanced hardware.

All this being said I agree that it is not a big difference in range added, maybe 5%. @kort, But the second reason I use it is to lower the throttle response which does make the ride more enjoyable for my spouse which in turn makes the ride more enjoyable for me. I must admit that I do use Sport Mode when I am alone. :cool:
I would assume at some speed the front motor alone is insufficient and the rear motor will be engaged.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The front motor has sufficient power to overcome wind resistance at reasonable speed. If you are climbing, maybe the rear motor must kick in. And as ron_b points out, disengaging the rear motor and transaxle will reduce resistance and increase efficiency. Range mode also lowers the height and uses the rear spoiler for optimal efficiency, and makes the air and adaptive suspension systems less active (saving energy) though I don't think I can clearly describe what less active might feel like on steady straight highway cruising... In summary it might help by more than 5% (or it might not) but not likely more than 10%. Battery temperature will matter more.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

The front motor has sufficient power to overcome wind resistance at reasonable speed. If you are climbing, maybe the rear motor must kick in. And as ron_b points out, disengaging the rear motor and transaxle will reduce resistance and increase efficiency. Range mode also lowers the height and uses the rear spoiler for optimal efficiency, and makes the air and adaptive suspension systems less active (saving energy) though I don't think I can clearly describe what less active might feel like on steady straight highway cruising... In summary it might help by more than 5% (or it might not) but not likely more than 10%. Battery temperature will matter more.
Also agree, it does not make a big difference in range. I think Range mode is a bit of a myth - it does a whole load of things to apparently improve range, but, in reality, I think the main improvement to range is due to the fact that Range mode forces you to drive slower and accelerate less. If you drove in normal mode but at the same speed as you would in range mode, and with a light touch on the accelerator pedal, you'll get a similar range (at least with highway/motorway driving). Battery temperature does appear to be the most significant factor.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I would assume at some speed the front motor alone is insufficient and the rear motor will be engaged.
as far as I see things the range mode is intended for long range, constant speed driving, if you want more than initial bursts of speed switch over to sport mode

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
Any luck getting range mode speed limiter to reappear in the menu? I just discovered that I no longer have it and am stuck with a 55 limit. My remote climate doesn’t work (again).
Sponsored