Tavsan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW M5
Country flag
I have been doing a lot of reading and watching reviews of Porsche cars. I also had another thread regarding the steering feel (feedback) on Taycans here. I came to the conclusion PSP is not for me, but I'd like to have RAS. Problem is RAS comes bundled with PSP. So I wonder if it would be possible to order the car (GTS ST) with RAS then turn off PSP? My understanding is that PSP is needed for RAS for some reason. Anybody has any knowledge/experience of this? Can the dealer turn off PSP on a car with RAS?

Here is a quick summary of why the PSP is not for me:
I prefer as much road feel (steering feedback) as possible in my cars. PSP makes the steering lighter at low speeds (so parking etc does not require as much effort) and at higher speeds it is no longer engaged. I am happy with dealing with more effort required to turn the steering wheel.
Sponsored

obscurelyfamous

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Chalk Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't believe there's a user-accessible way to turn off PSP. But afaik, using a diagnostic tool (PIWIS) would unearth this option. Service techs would have access to this and maybe it's worth asking your dealer if they'd do it as a favor.

Have you driven a Porsche with PSP? I wouldn't make that decision just based on forum posts and videos. I'm also sensitive to steering feel and very much prefer heavier and/or hydraulic steering. My 4S has PSP/RAS and I think it feels great. Steering feedback is different than weight and the Taycan has plenty of it IMO. I have no problem with the weight but that's all subjective of course. Hopefully you can try it out before you decide.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I have been doing a lot of reading and watching reviews of Porsche cars. I also had another thread regarding the steering feel (feedback) on Taycans here. I came to the conclusion PSP is not for me, but I'd like to have RAS. Problem is RAS comes bundled with PSP. So I wonder if it would be possible to order the car (GTS ST) with RAS then turn off PSP? My understanding is that PSP is needed for RAS for some reason. Anybody has any knowledge/experience of this? Can the dealer turn off PSP on a car with RAS?

Here is a quick summary of why the PSP is not for me:
I prefer as much road feel (steering feedback) as possible in my cars. PSP makes the steering lighter at low speeds (so parking etc does not require as much effort) and at higher speeds it is no longer engaged. I am happy with dealing with more effort required to turn the steering wheel.
I had exactly the same perspective as you. I wanted RAS but not PSP. I am old enough to have driven the 911 when the steering was so heavy that you literally got a bicep workout every time you drove it. I drove a Taycan with PSP, and it just didn't feel the way I wanted - totally personal preference. I had a long discussion with the dealer and at least for the 2020 model, you could not unbundle PSP and RAS from everything I learned. Not sure if that has changed. I ordered without RAS/PSP.

I will add that if I could do it again, I would go with RAS and bite the bullet on the lighter steering feel. The car is long so having RAS is really handy.

OP
OP
Tavsan

Tavsan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW M5
Country flag
Yeah good old days of heavy steering. Good workout for the biceps :)

I asked this question to the local dealers but they have not responded or they said it is not possible. Right now my build excludes RAS. I have been torn between wanting better turning circle & handling RAS adds and not wanting PSP. I am looking for cars nearby for sale with and without PSP and RAS to test drive.

I had exactly the same perspective as you. I wanted RAS but not PSP. I am old enough to have driven the 911 when the steering was so heavy that you literally got a bicep workout every time you drove it. I drove a Taycan with PSP, and it just didn't feel the way I wanted - totally personal preference. I had a long discussion with the dealer and at least for the 2020 model, you could not unbundle PSP and RAS from everything I learned. Not sure if that has changed. I ordered without RAS/PSP.

I will add that if I could do it again, I would go with RAS and bite the bullet on the lighter steering feel. The car is long so having RAS is really handy.

OP
OP
Tavsan

Tavsan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW M5
Country flag
Yeah I asked some dealers about this. The ones who answered said no, it cannot be done. But you are right, I should talk to a tech person about this.

Good to know you have steering feedback with RAS+PSP on your Taycan. Yeah I am on the look out for cars with PSP to test drive.

I don't believe there's a user-accessible way to turn off PSP. But afaik, using a diagnostic tool (PIWIS) would unearth this option. Service techs would have access to this and maybe it's worth asking your dealer if they'd do it as a favor.

Have you driven a Porsche with PSP? I wouldn't make that decision just based on forum posts and videos. I'm also sensitive to steering feel and very much prefer heavier and/or hydraulic steering. My 4S has PSP/RAS and I think it feels great. Steering feedback is different than weight and the Taycan has plenty of it IMO. I have no problem with the weight but that's all subjective of course. Hopefully you can try it out before you decide.
Sponsored