NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
LOL, I'm the reverse. When I have to have my wife in the car and drive in normal, I get irritated that first time I expect some regen and it's not on by default in normal mode. Otherwise I'm in individual with regen on, sport plus drive and sport chassis, low height.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Since driving my Taycan I fell in love with coasting, and get always very irritated for a moment when I switch in Sport mode...
I drive almost exclusively in sport with overrun recup off.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
LOL, I'm the reverse. When I have to have my wife in the car and drive in normal, I get irritated that first time I expect some regen and it's not on by default in normal mode. Otherwise I'm in individual with regen on, sport plus drive and sport chassis, low height.
99% of my daily driving is my individual mode: recoup on - low chassis height - sport suspension.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
That's probably a very short moment :CWL:
It only lasts as long as I figure out, that it's not a drive train failure and how to switch off that nonsense - after all, who want's to drive an EV of the future imitating an ICE of the past??? :giggle:

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
my personal use-cases:
Found on trips, 'off' is the most efficient (about 2% at end of 150+mi trip).
I put it to 'on' if I am in an area that has a lot of corners and/or speed changes.
I put it to 'auto' when I am in traffic as I find the auto braking for cars in front of me that change speed a lot makes the ride smoother. Especially at slow speeds, no matter how gently I press the brake, it seems to jerk a little in the beginning. However, with auto, it applies the brakes smoothly and I often don't need to press the brake unless the car in front comes to a stop with traffic.

Not stating this is right/wrong or more/less efficient, but mostly has to do with drivability and the feel of the car that I get in each mode with each scenario. Hopefully that helps for another view?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That's exactly it. I think it is incorrect to choose the regen mode based on a presumption of efficiency. Choose what you like the best, then if/when you care about efficiency, drive how you need to drive for more efficiency (e.g. modulating the accelerator to coast if you have regen on or auto).

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
so in all of this. is it basically the car is always in regeneration whenever it brakes. does anyone actually know when it transitions from the electric motor braking to the discs?

the recup mode basically brakes for you. vs manual

odd. I actually see my battery percentage go up more often than not or at least not go down as fast when recup is on. when it’s off it just decreases.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
does anyone actually know when it transitions from the electric motor braking to the discs?
It uses the friction brakes when you first start driving to clean them. They also appear to be used when stopped.

Beyond that, they’re used when the requested braking exceeds the available recup for the battery, which is normally 265kW, but could be less at a maximum SoC since the battery can’t accept any more energy.

the recup mode basically brakes for you. vs manual
There are two types of recup. You are referring to overrun recup which is how the car behaves when you let off the accelerator. Recup that results from pressing the brake pedal is called braking recup.

odd. I actually see my battery percentage go up more often than not or at least not go down as fast when recup is on. when it’s off it just decreases.
Unless you’re consistently decreasing your elevation, I have a hard time seeing your battery going up, regardless of mode. In no case, other than decreasing elevation (or other external forces acting on your car…were you being towed??) do you create more energy than you started with by driving the car.

Recup doesn’t generate energy. It converts kinetic energy for charging the battery.

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
I think I have more stop and go than you guys, so the "one pedal" method works better because i'm constantly accelerating and decelerating. there isn't much coasting...

i've actually gone up a 1-2% in just around town driving under recoup mode on.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i've actually gone up a 1-2% in just around town driving under recoup mode on.
That really doesn’t make any sense. It takes energy to both start and continue moving the car (less to continue, but still some). Whatever you recapture will be less than that (again, excluding external forces and potential energy from elevation).

Think about it. If what you were saying were generally true, you’d never have to recharge the car with external power. Just drive around the city with overrun recup until the battery is charged.

Your car would be creating energy. Porsche would charge more for that. ?

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
If I want to reduce wear on my expensive PSCB brakes, would it be good to keep recup on All the time?

Taycan_friend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Has anyone done the math to determine, definitively, which mode is best for range? On, Off, or Auto?

I've been running it ON since I got the car, but I am curious if the longer coast time in OFF ends up a net win for range. Or perhaps AUTO.

I'm considering coming up with a specific test route and running all 3 to compare but if someone else has already done this I'd prefer to just know which mode is best. :)
It is verry simple. In any cases you need to slow down or brake and you do that in a way that you do not slow down more than necessary (which makes it necessary to re-accelerate again in order to have desired speed), all three recuperation modes are exactly on the same efficiency level.

The auto-recuperation never brakes too much, depending on the car in front of you, it may brake not enough so that you need to push the additional brake pedal and then you get additional recuperation.

The pure coasting mode never brakes too much, full efficiency and same as auto-recu, if you need to slow down, full recuperation via brake pedal

The light recuperation mode on drive pedal has a light lift off recuperation only, the chance is very low that you brake too much which would cost you a bit of efficiency.

summary: all on same level.