Reflections on a recent rip from Nice, France, to Stockholm, Sweden

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Good tip about ABRP connection with Porsche. I used a free Trinity 10 days trial this summer during holidays and it worked. For the trip recording Tronity functionality is a bit comparable with the Sidecar app. I primarily wanted Tronity for the ABRP connection. But I found it too expensive for that on longer trips only.

in my 10 days experience abrp was more accurate in planning. Without it is conservative in its planning.

@Scandinavian In your experience how much longer where the chargers without preheating?

one other thing is that I have a hud. So I don’t see instruction there either
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Good tip about ABRP connection with Porsche. I used a free Trinity 10 days trial this summer during holidays and it worked. For the trip recording Tronity functionality is a bit comparable with the Sidecar app. I primarily wanted Tronity for the ABRP connection. But I found it too expensive for that on longer trips only.

in my 10 days experience abrp was more accurate in planning. Without it is conservative in its planning.

@Scandinavian In your experience how much longer where the chargers without preheating?

one other thing is that I have a hud. So I don’t see instruction there either
I do not have HUD and that plus the instrument map and preheating is the downside with using any CarPlay navigation. I have not been able to run both system, but I certainly have tried with all combination that have been suggested, to get that working.

I did not notice any great difference in charging speed during this trip. I used the Sport Plus mode for some 40-50 km before. AND I had the battery saving feature enabled so max charge was 200 kW for most of the trip anyhow. And my battery temperature normally settles at 31 C during a long drive anyhow.

When we stop for a charge we normally stretch our legs a bit, have a comfort break and an espresso. By the time we get back the car has been well charged to reach the next stop with a good margin (some timesI too much!).

One other solution I have tried is to use the PCM Navigator and not connect CarPlay at all. But run ABRP on my phone. That is then the one that determines my charging stops and I just ignore the PCM suggestions. Then all the car’s features work, displays, preheating ( roughly at least!). Downside is then that I can not listen to my radio programmes, since the PCM does not decode these streams! However the phone does not get as good a GPS signal that way, but still adequate.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
What I tend to do is pre-plan my route on ABRP and then just add up the chargers in the PCM – turning off the Porsche Charging Planner. That way when it gets a map update – the planned route stays the same. And often we've made some food plans at a specific stop and don't want it suddenly being removed from our route.

I used to sometimes find it hard to find the specific chargers in the PCM – until I realised that location finding defaults to "nearby". When I switch it to "along the route" – it finds most chargers easily.

Porsche Taycan Reflections on a recent rip from Nice, France, to Stockholm, Sweden Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 09.13.08

Porsche Taycan Reflections on a recent rip from Nice, France, to Stockholm, Sweden Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 09.13.27

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
What I tend to do is pre-plan my route on ABRP and then just add up the chargers in the PCM – turning off the Porsche Charging Planner. That way when it gets a map update – the planned route stays the same. And often we've made some food plans at a specific stop and don't want it suddenly being removed from our route.

I used to sometimes find it hard to find the specific chargers in the PCM – until I realised that location finding defaults to "nearby". When I switch it to "along the route" – it finds most chargers easily.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 09.13.08.png

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 09.13.27.png
Great tip

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Yes that is a great tip. Since you set chargers as stopovers the preheating will work I guess? I also guess you can search for charging networks outside of Porsche Charging Services in such case?? Like the Tesla SuC? I will need this feature on our trip to Norway since there are no Ionity stations on route. They are set in ABRP though through the use of filters.

Only thing I would love to have then would be the possibility to save that route as a complete item including charging stops. Then I could do all planning in advance and just call up the different day trips on long journeys.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I do not have HUD and that plus the instrument map and preheating is the downside with using any CarPlay navigation. I have not been able to run both system, but I certainly have tried with all combination that have been suggested, to get that working.

I did not notice any great difference in charging speed during this trip. I used the Sport Plus mode for some 40-50 km before. AND I had the battery saving feature enabled so max charge was 200 kW for most of the trip anyhow. And my battery temperature normally settles at 31 C during a long drive anyhow.

When we stop for a charge we normally stretch our legs a bit, have a comfort break and an espresso. By the time we get back the car has been well charged to reach the next stop with a good margin (some timesI too much!).

One other solution I have tried is to use the PCM Navigator and not connect CarPlay at all. But run ABRP on my phone. That is then the one that determines my charging stops and I just ignore the PCM suggestions. Then all the car’s features work, displays, preheating ( roughly at least!). Downside is then that I can not listen to my radio programmes, since the PCM does not decode these streams! However the phone does not get as good a GPS signal that way, but still adequate.
It is possible to navigate with Tom Tom app in CarPlay on the central screen and with pcm navigation on the background in the HUD and dashboard. So it is possible. Must be a setting.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Only thing I would love to have then would be the possibility to save that route as a complete item including charging stops. Then I could do all planning in advance and just call up the different day trips on long journeys.
This is something that I do in ABRP – have already my next Norway trip all planned out! But I agree, it would be great if the PCM navigation had a similar feature – it would save starting the day getting the route into the PCM.

Porsche Taycan Reflections on a recent rip from Nice, France, to Stockholm, Sweden Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 08.06.07

With each day's route having our carefully planned (and researched on PlugShare) charging stops saved off within it.

Porsche Taycan Reflections on a recent rip from Nice, France, to Stockholm, Sweden Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 08.17.22

Usually I use the My Porsche app to transfer each day's route to the car before going out to it. I find that works reliably enough.

One key thing to remember is to use the "charging stations" filter when searching for and adding up charging stops along your route. This ensures that the stops are sent to the car as charging stops.

If you search for charging stops without using that filter – the My Porsche app is very likely to still find them – but they will only be sent over to the PCM as "waypoints" to stop off at. And it will then depend on the Porsche Charging Service if it will consider charging at that stop or not.

But by using the filter – you are telling the PCM its a charging stop you want to use – and it will "do the right thing".

Porsche Taycan Reflections on a recent rip from Nice, France, to Stockholm, Sweden Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 08.12.33.jpe

Last edited:

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
This is something that I do in ABRP – have already my next Norway trip all planned out! But I agree, it would be great if the PCM navigation had a similar feature – it would save starting the day getting the route into the PCM.

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 08.06.07.png

With each day's route having our carefully planned (and researched on PlugShare) charging stop saved off within it.

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 08.17.22.png

Usually I use the My Porsche app to transfer each day's route to the car before going out to it. I find that works reliably enough.

One key thing to remember is to use the "charging stations" filter when searching for and adding up charging stops along your route. This ensures that the stops are sent to the car as charging stops.

If you search for charging stops without using that filter – the My Porsche app is very likely to still find them – but they will only be sent over to the PCM as "waypoints" to stop off at. And it will then depend on the Porsche Charging Service if it will consider charging at that stop or not.

But by using the filter – you are telling the PCM its a charging stop you want to use – and it will "do the right thing".

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 08.12.33.jpeg.png
Good tip. I always sent the destination to pcm and then look for charger in this location. This saves time.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, good suggestions. I normally plan my routes in ABRP and save them in the same way. Will try to route settings with charger stopovers and send to car.

Nice route up to Norway through Denmark. We have done similar from Hook van Holland to Oslo, but used the Kiel to Oslo ferry instead. Very nice ferry and relaxing.

When are you leaving for that trip?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We're coming back that way.

Not until February!
I am just back from a trip from Stockholm to Norway, Trysil for skiing. Snowstorms and down to minus 20 C, but the Taycan performed perfectly. Range indication and SoC at arrival was quite accurate for such wild conditions.

I found two charging networks that were great in Norway. Both needed an app but had very competitive pricing and very good coverage. Also works in Sweden and some parts of Denmark

Eviny (Bilkraft app I think).
MER Norway.

In both cases I had to call their customer service to register a foreign credit card. But tnat Was easily done. The Eviny chargers in particular, had a lot of stalls, 8 - 10-12-16 stalls, with 360 kW as well as 50-200 kW. Definitely much better than Allego for speed and reliability. MER was good for 22 kW chargers at ski resorts and hotels. And both had good apps to start charging.

Norway really had loads of charging networks and many stalls at each station, so no queues even in the Christmas rush.

Ionity also worked well when available but quite a lot of cars waiting since they had fewer stalls.

Very good coverage of chargers and networks on the whole trip from South of France. And a great car Taycan in snow and cold.