Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
After getting my car repatriated from Stockholm after the two module battery repair, we set out for another visit to Stockholm. And from there it will be onwards to Norway in a few weeks. I will not have a detailed trip report with photos this time. I was curoius to see how the car would perform after repair, and also how it would perform on 20 Inch Pirelli NFO winter tyres. First time on a long trip with the winter tyres.

Porsche Taycan Reflections on a recent rip from Nice, France, to Stockholm, Sweden IMG_1796

Tyre reflection Pirelli NFO EV winter 20 inch.
The Pirelli‘s performed very well in the challenging conditions. We started in 20- 22 C sunny conditions through Italy. I lost count of the number of tunnels after about 90 tunnels and nearly as many roadworks. Then through Switzerland where it started to drizzle the temperature fell to 7C and below during the night. Entering the St Gotthard Road tunnel , 17 km long, at 6 C and suddenly driving in 34C in the tunnel was a very weird experience.
On the Autobahn in Germany the tyres were flawless at my speeds up to 200 km/h. They feel slightly softer and not as sharp as the 21 inch Good Years Assymetric, which was expected. No huge difference though. Some very strong breaking was also no problem. Quiet and pleasant driving in both wet and dry conditions. On the rougher road surface in Sweden the were quieter than the Good Year Summer tyres!
Now hoping for some snow experience!

Charging experience.
We aimed to mainly utilise Ionity chargers on the road trip, unless the stops would be inconvenient. The charging infrastructure through Switzerland and Germany, is excellent with many choices. Ionity, EnBW, Aral, Fastned, Allego and a few more. And all are available through the Porsche Charging Service. As a strong second alternative we had Tesla Open for All listed. Considering we drove in the middle of the week in early November, it was surprising how many Ionity stations were occupied. Out of 6 stations available, only 1 or 2 would be free when we arrived. Ionity need to increase their number of stations to cater for next years peak summer traffic. All brands including surprisingly many Tesla’s at the stations. Very good charging etiquette though. The Ionity stations have lights that display the level of charge and nearly all disconnected at about 4/5 charge levels. Well disciplined queueing also even if there was a lack of space to park and wait.

PCM navigation ??
Since we wanted as quick passage as possible we started out by using the PCM Charge Planning and avail of the automatic battery preheating. I had programmed all the trips available Ionity stations as favourites in the system so I knew where they were. It was easy to check the automatic planning that way. For each day trip the correct Ionity stations stop were confirmed. HOWEVER the very frequent Map Updates replanned the charging stops so many times that I gave up that approach. The worst example was one stop that was replanned without being noticed. It choose an unknown network with 2 (two) connectors rather than a 8 charger Ionity about 12 km earlier. Needless to say one charger was not working and the other one occupied!. Until Porsche will update the nav system with filters so you can set minimum no of chargers and also filter out ONLY Ionity stations, I will give it a miss. Surprisingly enough the app has a filter to only choose Ionity when planning a route. But when sending that to the car, the car recalculates the route and chooses new stations. Irritating.

Tronity and ABRP app experience
Porsche have recently open up access to more API’s. So I wanted to try out two apps ABRP and Tronity. But apps of course rely on the Taycan having correct LTE connections at all times, to be able to give correct results. Unfortunately that was not always the case. There were problems with roaming at every country border were the system was slow to reconnect unfortunately? Something I need to get checked since it has worked fine after the last big update.

ABRP has always been great for planning since you can set strict filters. And it works excellent with CarPlay! Choosing Ionity only and stations with minimum 4 or 6 stations was great. And ABRP now utilises the connection to Porsche to give you the battery SoC with perhaps a minutes delay, but very accurate. It also will display the charging stop SoC based on information of the car’s actual consumption. I found this to be as accurate as the PCM estimates. But with out the constant irritating Map updates and replanning!
Porsche Taycan Reflections on a recent rip from Nice, France, to Stockholm, Sweden IMG_1085

Overall this worked very well and I preferred to use it.
There Are however some features that will not be as good as the PCM navigation.
1. No automatic preheating of battery when navigating to a charging station. Can be overcome to certain degree by using SportPlus driving.
2. No navigation in instrument display middle tube.
3. Since it does not utilise the car’s dead reckoning system when navigating, driving in longer tunnel systems, can give some interesting placement of car on the map!

Tronity
Tronity was a new experience for me, and I was impressed. It documented our trip quite well. Except issues when the car lost data connections as mentioned earlier.
There was a lot of information navailable. It gave me the driving routes, with information about speed, altitude, temperature with both data and also graphic form
It also documented the charging stops, times, places, kWh added, charging speeds and cost estimates. And all this without any manual input at all! Slightly off with charges if you cross into different countries and currency, but it gives the basic kWh reasonably accurate. And it does not matter if you charge at Ionity, Tesla, other networks not in Porsche Charging. Or if you charge at AC or DC, hotel, restaurant etc etc. Very useful and can be recommended if you fancy a lot of statistics.

Porsche Taycan Reflections on a recent rip from Nice, France, to Stockholm, Sweden IMG_1803

Porsche Taycan Reflections on a recent rip from Nice, France, to Stockholm, Sweden IMG_1805

To get these features, both apps require a small subscription fee, which in my mind is very well worth it. Interesting is that Tronity did pick up my extremely weird consumption data before the battery failed, which Porsche web or app did not notice at all!! That data could have warned me actually about something not quite right.

I hope you will find this information informative and useful.
Please give me some feedback!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Super information @Scandinavian and it all aligns with my own experiences. The PCM just needs a few additional filters and it would be really great. Especially as it is so accurate at estimating SoC.

I gave up on Tronity over a year ago because the info from it was so poor. Sounds like a lot of the issues have been improved with the new API access.

I'm a paying subscriber to ABRP – just so I understand – is that now able to read SoC independently of any other service – or is it via Tronity?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm a paying subscriber to ABRP – just so I understand – is that now able to read SoC independently of any other service – or is it via Tronity?
Answering my own question: yes it can! I had no idea, definitely going to test this out and thank you again @Scandinavian for the heads up!

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Answering my own question: yes it can! I had no idea, definitely going to test this out and thank you again @Scandinavian for the heads up!
Yes it is well worth trying. Impressed by how accurate it was with the note on Porsche connectivity. The app has always work great as a freestanding planning tool, but now with the extra info it has become really useful.
Enjoy!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
3. Since it does not utilise the car’s dead reckoning system when navigating, driving in longer tunnel systems, can give some interesting placement of car on the map!
This is an interesting finding because CarPlay gets its position from the car and doesn't use the iPhone GPS receiver when it's active. I would have presumed that the car would also supply it with it's estimated position when in tunnels – but it sounds like it is not doing that.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Great info and thx for sharing.

One question, as I had suggested this prev to another user some time back - can you not stop PCM/Porsche Nav. interruptions to it's trip planning by simply turning off the 'automatic' (map) updates in settings for the duration of said trip?

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great info and thx for sharing.

One question, as I had suggested this prev to another user some time back - can you not stop PCM/Porsche Nav. interruptions to it's trip planning by simply turning off the 'automatic' (map) updates in settings for the duration of said trip?
I have it set to not do any automatic updates, but I think that is only valid for OTA updates of the PCM. Not for map updates. They certainly were coming in hard and fast. I think at one stage we received 4 updates within one hour, and that was when I gave up with the PCM navigator.

I have not been able to find any other way of stopping the map updates, or get them all in one go, once my route is calculated??

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I have it set to not do any automatic updates, but I think that is only valid for OTA updates of the PCM. Not for map updates. They certainly were coming in hard and fast. I think at one stage we received 4 updates within one hour, and that was when I gave up with the PCM navigator.

I have not been able to find any other way of stopping the map updates, or get them all in one go, once my route is calculated??
Ah, that answers that! Good to know.

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Glad you found TRONITY helpful. I‘ve found it hit and miss - there are bugs in both the app and the Porsche interface, so journeys end up being given impossible endpoints. I’m optimistic that they will improve it, although their primary market seems to be quite specific,(German vehicle logs). What I most wamt is for them to let us see maps full screen (the way TeslaFi did for Tesla) so I can keep a nice map of each road trip.

Good to hear etiquette at Ionity was ok. Sadly, much rarer in the UK. Quite often you find queues. all stalls full with vehicles crawling along at 97–100%, and no driver present. We really need Ionity to fix this through driver education, signage, and software.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Glad you found TRONITY helpful. I‘ve found it hit and miss - there are bugs in both the app and the Porsche interface, so journeys end up being given impossible endpoints. I’m optimistic that they will improve it, although their primary market seems to be quite specific,(German vehicle logs). What I most wamt is for them to let us see maps full screen (the way TeslaFi did for Tesla) so I can keep a nice map of each road trip.

Good to hear etiquette at Ionity was ok. Sadly, much rarer in the UK. Quite often you find queues. all stalls full with vehicles crawling along at 97–100%, and no driver present. We really need Ionity to fix this through driver education, signage, and software.
I also had some weird trip details, but my conclusion was it was due to either my car not communicating correctly and timely or the Porsche servers. Tronity clearly have the German market as primary target with their log book etc. Surprisingly it was through Germany that I had most issues with it though.

For the charging etiquette, we only experienced chargers along major autobahn routes. So I guess most drivers were on a longer trip and have experience of fast trip times. There were no shops etc around, just motorway fast food restaurants and cafes. Guess everybody just went for a comfort break, quick meal and pressed on. Only saw a few people sitting in the car and waiting. This could of course change dramatically with stations off the Autobahn?

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
How did you do in Tronity to have a cost per Ionity, home and tesla?
You didn't have to do anything?

I have added some charging rates for Ionity, Porsche, Shell New motion and Tesla but it never shows me any of those data and cost.
Unless I have to tag each charging stops which I'm not going to bother.

And on app, when you are parked, what is the range displayed by Tronity?
For me it's 279km and never changes.
I wonder if it's the max km that I did once.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How did you do in Tronity to have a cost per Ionity, home and tesla?
You didn't have to do anything?

I have added some charging rates for Ionity, Porsche, Shell New motion and Tesla but it never shows me any of those data and cost.
Unless I have to tag each charging stops which I'm not going to bother.

And on app, when you are parked, what is the range displayed by Tronity?
For me it's 279km and never changes.
I wonder if it's the max km that I did once.
I think you get a 30 days trial period FoC and that was when I entered some basic information. I got several trial periods since there were issues with my cars connectivity.
I entered the rates via the web log in. I believe I could have entered the different rates for different countries as well but did not bother.
I have entered the Tesla rate and my home rate in the app. I guess I also need to enter rates for other networks in the Porsche Charging Service but have not done so yet.?? I try to avoid these with the per minute charge as much as possible. Irritates me when the charging stations does not deliver the advertised kW power and you get longer minute rates. Not a cost issue since it is small amounts,, but a nuisance. And I also entered the cost for me after 3 years for the PCS! It then spreads that out per month.

The app is not perfect as yet but getting much better. Tronity have been very helpful in trying to help out with a lot of Porsche Connectivity issues and they are not all solved as yet.

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
PCM navigation ??
Since we wanted as quick passage as possible we started out by using the PCM Charge Planning and avail of the automatic battery preheating. I had programmed all the trips available Ionity stations as favourites in the system so I knew where they were. It was easy to check the automatic planning that way. For each day trip the correct Ionity stations stop were confirmed. HOWEVER the very frequent Map Updates replanned the charging stops so many times that I gave up that approach. The worst example was one stop that was replanned without being noticed. It choose an unknown network with 2 (two) connectors rather than a 8 charger Ionity about 12 km earlier. Needless to say one charger was not working and the other one occupied!. Until Porsche will update the nav system with filters so you can set minimum no of chargers and also filter out ONLY Ionity stations, I will give it a miss. Surprisingly enough the app has a filter to only choose Ionity when planning a route. But when sending that to the car, the car recalculates the route and chooses new stations. Irritating.
I don't understand why the planned stops would be modified after an update 🤔
I do quite often long trips, with several map updates too. But it never happened that PCM modified my stops.

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't understand why the planned stops would be modified after an update 🤔
I do quite often long trips, with several map updates too. But it never happened that PCM modified my stops.
The charging stops are modified at nearly every map update if you let the PCM navigator plan it automatically. If you however plan each stop manually and enter them with charging nearby etc, they will stick and stay. Especially now that the charging infrastructure has improved so much. The PCM tries to optimise your trip based on actual consumption, SoC etc. Works well, but downside it can direct me to charging networks that are unreliable and maybe only 2 charge points. My car also looses all the indications of number of charge points and how many are occupied at each map update. Sometimes they come back after a stop and lock of the car, but not always.

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
I see.
I never give that freedom to the PCM navigator: I plan the stops manually so preheat is activated. and use the phone (Waze/Google Map) for the alerts and police radars.
Sponsored