South of Sweden to Baden-Baden and beyond......

Mats

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 4S cab, CT 4S Gentian Blue
Country flag
In mid/end of September, we are planing our first out of the country road trip with the Taycan CT 4S. Will most likely take the night ferry from Trelleborg to Travemünde and by that start driving around 7 AM. From tons of European road trips I'm fully aware of us easily being able to reach Baden-Baden in that first day. However, if you like to go easy and split it into two daytrips any nice suggestions? After a four day reunion with former international colleagues in Baden-Baden, we will hit the road again. Knowing Alsace, Bourgogne, Champagne pretty well, one option might be a scenic route in Switzerland. Any suggestions based on our interest in wine and dine at local places as well as photography (people and intimate landscape amongst others).

Another much longer route is down to Bilbao/San Sebastian as well as Rioja/Ribera del Duero. Due to the pandemic, we have earlier cancelled this destination twice. We might do this trip later in autumn by flying and renting a car......

Would the Ionity infrastructure be sufficient or is there a need for a backup like Shell?

Would highly appreciate some interesting tips from our knowledgeable group.

//Mats
Sponsored

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
That is a long drive (7.5 hours including charging, Travemünde to Baden-Baden, plus traffic jams) for one day - i wouldn’t do that because I like to see some scenery or an interesting town or a great restaurant once a day when doing road trips. And especially on Autobahns it’s safer to be fresh. I’d break at Hannover or, better, Hamburg - go to see Miniatur Wunderland (book well in advance). Or a little drive around the Harz mountains and visit Goslar, Wernigerode etc. or Würzburg.

I plan my European trips with ViaMichelin open in one window (to see interesting sights and/or restaurants) and A Better Route Planner in another (for optimised charging stops).

Re your other questions: Ionity is amazing in continental Europe, but you can see congestion at the busier sites because so many manufacturers are now giving Ionity cards with high-volume cars. Shell Recharge is a good backup but expensive - I don’t know about Germany but in the UK most of their own stations are now not supported on the Porsche card so we are paying 85p/kWh, one of the highest prices in the market. FastNED works well In some countries. I have a PlugSurfing RFID tag in my kit which can be useful in some German cities. Typically though I just load the local app - it is usually cheaper than using the aggregators like Shell Recharge who add (often undisclosed) fees.

you might like to download the IOS app “roads” by Porsche. Its navigation is clunky, and some of the crowdsourced content is absolute rubbish, but lurking in there are some fabulous driving routes from Porsche groups around Europe. I’m going to take one through the Black Forest shortly which I think will be lovely. Lots of Porsche type corners :)

On your way back you might like to take the German Romantikstraße which goes through many beautiful medieval villages - especially if your timing is after the main tourist season.

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan on order
Country flag
Be careful where you park in Baden-Baden, I got towed away because I had parked in a space reserved for fire emergencies and the sign was hidden behind bushes! €500 to continue my journey. Parking is quite challenging in that town.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
In mid/end of September, we are planing our first out of the country road trip with the Taycan CT 4S. Will most likely take the night ferry from Trelleborg to Travemünde and by that start driving around 7 AM. From tons of European road trips I'm fully aware of us easily being able to reach Baden-Baden in that first day. However, if you like to go easy and split it into two daytrips any nice suggestions? After a four day reunion with former international colleagues in Baden-Baden, we will hit the road again. Knowing Alsace, Bourgogne, Champagne pretty well, one option might be a scenic route in Switzerland. Any suggestions based on our interest in wine and dine at local places as well as photography (people and intimate landscape amongst others).

Another much longer route is down to Bilbao/San Sebastian as well as Rioja/Ribera del Duero. Due to the pandemic, we have earlier cancelled this destination twice. We might do this trip later in autumn by flying and renting a car......

Would the Ionity infrastructure be sufficient or is there a need for a backup like Shell?

Would highly appreciate some interesting tips from our knowledgeable group.

//Mats
I believe you have the Porsche Charging card and service active. Driving through Germany is no problems and you have a lot of Ionity stations on that route. With the Porsche Card you will also have EnBW, Aral Pulse, Fastned and a bunch of other charging networks available. So charging will not be any issue at all. Have a look at charging stations along the route with the My Porsche app and filter out the Ionity stations. Mark them as favourites (star) so that they will be transferred to the car as favourites. Makes it easy to find Ionity stations, which are the most economical to use. They can get quite busy in summertime though, but all the others are also good. Backup for me has been Tesla Open for all.

Also a very good app to filter out and find suitable charging stations, use ChargeFinder, which is a great app.

Photo below show charging stations in Germany > 150 kW from Ionity Pulse and Fastned

Porsche Taycan South of Sweden to Baden-Baden and beyond...... IMG_0695

If you like to break up the drive, I have stayed at this hotel a few times. Nice place and a nice restaurant. They also have AC chargers so you can charge over night. They also have a nice distillery with some traditional Korn!

https://www.hardenberg-burghotel.de/

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Our next alpine road-trip brings us too to Baden-Baden. What is it with that town and Taycan owners this year?

Btw> The local Porsche Centre is very welcoming if you are using their 350 kW chargers.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Interesting - they don’t show up on the Porsche app. Is that normal in Germany? The UK Ones all seem to be shown.
They for sure showed up for me on the PCM route planner/navigation. I tend not use the app for route planning.

Porsche Taycan South of Sweden to Baden-Baden and beyond...... IMG_4135

OP
OP

Mats

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is a long drive (7.5 hours including charging, Travemünde to Baden-Baden, plus traffic jams) for one day - i wouldn’t do that because I like to see some scenery or an interesting town or a great restaurant once a day when doing road trips. And especially on Autobahns it’s safer to be fresh. I’d break at Hannover or, better, Hamburg - go to see Miniatur Wunderland (book well in advance). Or a little drive around the Harz mountains and visit Goslar, Wernigerode etc. or Würzburg.

I plan my European trips with ViaMichelin open in one window (to see interesting sights and/or restaurants) and A Better Route Planner in another (for optimised charging stops).

Re your other questions: Ionity is amazing in continental Europe, but you can see congestion at the busier sites because so many manufacturers are now giving Ionity cards with high-volume cars. Shell Recharge is a good backup but expensive - I don’t know about Germany but in the UK most of their own stations are now not supported on the Porsche card so we are paying 85p/kWh, one of the highest prices in the market. FastNED works well In some countries. I have a PlugSurfing RFID tag in my kit which can be useful in some German cities. Typically though I just load the local app - it is usually cheaper than using the aggregators like Shell Recharge who add (often undisclosed) fees.

you might like to download the IOS app “roads” by Porsche. Its navigation is clunky, and some of the crowdsourced content is absolute rubbish, but lurking in there are some fabulous driving routes from Porsche groups around Europe. I’m going to take one through the Black Forest shortly which I think will be lovely. Lots of Porsche type corners :)

On your way back you might like to take the German Romantikstraße which goes through many beautiful medieval villages - especially if your timing is after the main tourist season.
Thanks for your advice on potential routes and places to take and visit. Some of them, we know pretty well from previous road trips. Generally, I don't fancy norther Germany as compared to southern part. Hence, normally we even make much longer stretches (1000 - 1200 km) on our first day while driving with the 911. On the return there often will be some more stopovers. However, this time there will be one the drive to Baden-Baden and Harz might be a nice option.

OP
OP

Mats

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Be careful where you park in Baden-Baden, I got towed away because I had parked in a space reserved for fire emergencies and the sign was hidden behind bushes! €500 to continue my journey. Parking is quite challenging in that town.
That's really to bad experience you had. Even if we are staying in one of the major hotels being a big group of 80+ people, they don't have their own parking. After unloading, they are referring to two different parking garages.

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan on order
Country flag
That's really to bad experience you had. Even if we are staying in one of the major hotels being a big group of 80+ people, they don't have their own parking. After unloading, they are referring to two different parking garages.
That wasn't the full story!

I got an alert that my car had moved and ran to where I parked it and there was a guy who vaguely looked like a traffic warden, then a lifter truck arrived to take another car away. He kindly said I could go in the truck to collect my car. The truck driver was very grumpy and we went deep into the countryside, wasn't sure if we were picking my car up or I was going to get murdered (or worse). When we got to the compound his card machine magically stopped working and he insisted on cash before releasing the car. I then had half an hour walk to the nearest town to get cash out. Pretty sure I was scammed but no time to look into it when we were moving on the next day.

Other than that, quite a nice town, I would recommend the spa, good facilities and there is a naturist section if that's your thing.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
A must is the hike on backside/west of Baden-Baden to Schloss Hohenbaden - fantastic views and a very pleasant walk/hike up and down (you can drive up Hilsbrunestrasse but def will miss a lot!) - also great hiking in general 360 degrees in hills around town.

Porsche Taycan South of Sweden to Baden-Baden and beyond...... IMG_1265

Porsche Taycan South of Sweden to Baden-Baden and beyond...... IMG_1255

Porsche Taycan South of Sweden to Baden-Baden and beyond...... IMG_1271