Regeneration in Range mode

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
This seems like a daft question but I would have expected that when switching from Normal to Range mode the regen would turn on, to eek out more range. In fact it does the opposite. If its on in Normal mode, switching to Range actually turns regen off. Anyone else find that strange or is there a good scientific answer ? :)
My personal observation so far is that coasting and gentle acceleration is the most energy efficient way of driving. Porsche nailed that, too.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
First, I think the component resistance in the drivetrain is significantly less with these electric motors than a conventional ICE. Second, it's one heavy mother of momentum.
Yes!

Lifting throttle on a smooth flat road I'm amazed at how little speed it loses.
I love that. Let go of the pedals and the car turns into a magic carpet! Much, much, much better than one pedal driving nonsense. No matter what traffic I face, I never engage any of the recup options!

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My personal observation so far is that coasting and gentle acceleration is the most energy efficient way of driving. Porsche nailed that, too.
Yes, basically the lighter you are on your brakes, the more efficient your driving. This means you're looking far ahead and anticipating traffic, stops, turns, keeping a good distance between you and the car ahead etc. This is just good driving.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I’m used to 1-pedal driving in my Tesla Model S, but looking at it from physics perspective, I realize I’m keeping on go pedal longer because because letting causes deceleration equivalent to downshifting 1 or even 2 gears in manual transmission.
Once you know how chilled and efficient coasting is, the 1-pedal driving seems to be a thing of the past, since it is very hard to find the exact spot on the go-pedal which does neither accelerate nor regenerate.

After years with MS90D I thought it is a must have, now I think it is nonsense.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Yes, basically the lighter you are on your brakes, the more efficient your driving. This means you're looking far ahead and anticipating traffic, stops, turns, keeping a good distance between you and the car ahead etc. This is just good driving.
Actually, I meant it the other way around.
  • Light on go-pedal for slow steady acceleration
  • Coast as much as possible ignoring all speed limits
  • Hard on the break pedal to get the recuperation going
Last point I am still experimenting... :)

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I disagree that finding that perfect middle spot on the accelerator is hard. Coming from one pedal driving in the Tesla I prefer the full regen. I also find I dislike Auto because I don't like the car doing things I didn't tell it to do. But in the end, I agree a) it's personal preference and kudos for Porsche for giving the option; and b) coasting (true coasting) when appropriate is more efficient than decelerating through regen then accelerating. So bottom line - set whatever you like, drive however you like. It's so much more fun to be hammering the right pedal anyway...

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Braking too often and too hard is just a pet peeve of mine.:confused: The reason Porsche sets Regen off for Range mode is because you'll never be able to recover 100% of what you lose when braking.

I went 100K miles plus on my Panamera GTS before having to replace the pads. If you're watching what's going on up ahead, you really don't need to use the brakes anywhere near as much as most people do. Every day I see a light about to turn red up ahead, and begin to coast while several cars zip by me under throttle, evidently oblivious to the fact that they will need to stop in a few hundred yards, or even a few hundred feet. It's not unusual for me to then pass them as the light turns green and I'm approaching at a coast and they're at full stop.

I'm a big fan of hitting the 'go pedal' as well, and do that as much as anyone - but only when I have a clear road in front of me.

Will Perrott

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan S
Country flag
Does anyone know how the regen works with the surface coated brakes? My car doesn't appear to use regen when I brake, and when I switch the regen on it only gives a small amount of regen. I believe this is because the brakes need to be run-in initially. But I've done 500 miles now. Dealer has given me conflicting information on how long it takes before regen starts working - anything from 200 to 2000 miles depending on who you ask.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Does anyone know how the regen works with the surface coated brakes? My car doesn't appear to use regen when I brake, and when I switch the regen on it only gives a small amount of regen. I believe this is because the brakes need to be run-in initially. But I've done 500 miles now. Dealer has given me conflicting information on how long it takes before regen starts working - anything from 200 to 2000 miles depending on who you ask.
Are you seeing no regen in the center power meter? Even when you use break or turn on regen mode? And I assume this is at all charge levels?

Will Perrott

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan S
Country flag
Not seeing any regen at all in the centre power meter when I brake, and it definitely feels like it is using the brakes. When I switch on regen mode I get a small amount of regen shown in the meter say 10 or 15 degrees at higher speeds and maybe 5 degrees at lower speeds. Putting the regen in auto mode has no effect. It's the same whatever charge level. My car has just been back to the dealer to sort out a problem with PCM only letting me login as a secondary user. I asked them to check the regen and they said there was nothing wrong with it. They originally said the PSCB needed 200 miles to bed in then when I said I had done 500 miles they changed it to between 1000 and 2000 miles. I was hoping others with PSCB may be able to say how long theirs took to start regen.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Yup, I’ll let other owners chime in as I don’t have those breaks. Was just checking the basics that others may also ask.

Thanks.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
What does the grey arc to the left of centre show. The grey arc changes depending on if the car is ready to regen. Also what level of charge is your battery at, it will not regen when full, needs to be below 85% for full regen

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Not seeing any regen at all in the centre power meter when I brake, and it definitely feels like it is using the brakes. When I switch on regen mode I get a small amount of regen shown in the meter say 10 or 15 degrees at higher speeds and maybe 5 degrees at lower speeds. Putting the regen in auto mode has no effect. It's the same whatever charge level. My car has just been back to the dealer to sort out a problem with PCM only letting me login as a secondary user. I asked them to check the regen and they said there was nothing wrong with it. They originally said the PSCB needed 200 miles to bed in then when I said I had done 500 miles they changed it to between 1000 and 2000 miles. I was hoping others with PSCB may be able to say how long theirs took to start regen.
Somewhere between 200 and 500 miles our Turbo S (PCCB) went from very little regeneration to a lot, especially during hard braking or steep downhill runs with cruise control on.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think there is also a much shorter period when you first start driving where the hydraulic brakes are used instead of regen - to burn off surface rust (or something - though if that's the case why are they called surface coated brakes - what surface is coated and what is it coated with?). Supposedly, this avoids an annoying squeak just before you stop (this used to bug me on my Tesla Model S).

And if your charge level is in the 90s the battery won't be able to take regen anyway.

So if you are > 500 miles, < 85% charge, and 10 minutes or so into a trip and you STILL don't get any regen when pressing the brake pedal, you likely have a problem. Your actual range would suffer quite a bit.

Paul T Smith

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Land Rover Discovery HSELux
Country flag
This seems like a daft question but I would have expected that when switching from Normal to Range mode the regen would turn on, to eek out more range. In fact it does the opposite. If its on in Normal mode, switching to Range actually turns regen off. Anyone else find that strange or is there a good scientific answer ? :)
My understanding is that you choose how much regen you do by how you drive and brake. Some drivers like the natural regen experience that slows the car down and get used to it, others like the rolling affect and control the slowing down by braking. As previously suggested regen may not be needed when slowing down and so you end up pressing the accelerator pedal to reduce the lowing down affect of regen. I choose to switch it on and off depending on the road condition, in congestion the inodrive takes over in any event.
Sponsored