BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Anybody considering this? It comes out next month and per the website (see screenshot) it’s compatible. I love my ring cameras for my home and this seems like a sleek option for my baby…I mean my Taycan.

Porsche Taycan Ring car cam 657C8D6E-A435-4857-B1F3-DB38B6AF7716
Sponsored

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune blue Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Anybody considering this? It comes out next month and per the website (see screenshot) it’s compatible. I love my ring cameras for my home and this seems like a sleek option for my baby…I mean my Taycan.

657C8D6E-A435-4857-B1F3-DB38B6AF7716.png
Looks good but might have a subscription for data attached 😌

OP
OP
BMonte13

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Looks good but might have a subscription for data attached 😌
Subscription is $6 a month or $60 a year. No discount unfortunately if you already have home ring camera subscription.

Ranman

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Country flag
I have no interest in devices like this that require a subscription. Personally, I'd rather pay much more up front for something than to have to review my bank statement every month and see dozens of charges from companies constantly changing service levels and costs once I commit.

Ranman

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Country flag
I have no interest in devices like this that require a subscription. Personally, I'd rather pay much more up front for something than to have to review my bank statement every month and see dozens of charges from companies constantly changing service levels and costs once I commit.

In the end, you end up paying much more for the same capabilities than devices you can just buy.

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Concept is great but the location on the dashboard is awful.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I went to a few places today to look for a security video system - they all seem to use Wi-Fi - I live on the16th floor while car is in a parking garage - no good

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
Already pre-purchased! I like the way this works, especially with the auto download to cloud after you get home and on your Wi-Fi or if you have the service, to upload it to cloud on the go. I’ve wanted that feature for a long while. Also, you don’t have to purchase the subscription but $60 a year is worth it for me anyways For what you get.

jakeCT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
missed: RX8 / current: Model 3, MYP / CT4 waitlist
Country flag
I could be wrong but from what I could glean from the product page, believe this (like other Ring products) are event-based recording limited to a couple seconds whenever an event is triggered (motion/object/person detection). Some bad actors (package thieves and robberies) have used this to their advantage by taking advantage of lapses in the recording. I can see how this would be beneficial for their cellular data solution to limit the amount of data uploaded.

I’ve been interested in this product when it was announced several years ago along with Ring Cam for Tesla, which was abandoned after Tesla rolled out Sentry with mobile app access.

Positioning the Ring Cam on the base of the dash might also have signal issues in the Taycan, especially with insulated glass option.

Also Ring has been notorious for giving away recorded video to local authorities and multiple data breaches.

FWIW I have given my Ring Pro doorbell to a friend and switched to Nest completely except for a Solar Ring Floodlight Cam watching my garbage bins and with a handy siren function. But I would not rely on it to monitor the front door.

I would prefer a 24/7 recorder like a BlackVue for my needs.

OP
OP
BMonte13

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Already pre-purchased! I like the way this works, especially with the auto download to cloud after you get home and on your Wi-Fi or if you have the service, to upload it to cloud on the go. I’ve wanted that feature for a long while. Also, you don’t have to purchase the subscription but $60 a year is worth it for me anyways For what you get.
I love the functionality of my home ring service and am seriously considering pre-purchasing. However, the Taycan seems to be a fussy one when it comes to electronics and I’m concerned that connecting to the OBD-II port may cause the car/pcm to have a seizure.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
I love the functionality of my home ring service and am seriously considering pre-purchasing. However, the Taycan seems to be a fussy one when it comes to electronics and I’m concerned that connecting to the OBD-II port may cause the car/pcm to have a seizure.
True! 🤣 I guess we’ll see!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
If they gave you the option to pre-pay for 20 years ($1,200), would you do it?
Sponsored