Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid?

dwaltchack

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, ordered TCT Turbo
Country flag
But, at the risk of totally getting flamed, did the new Tesla Plaid tempt any of you who are waiting on an allocation for a Taycan?

I think I'm going to stay the course w my order, but I was tempted a little bit.
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
But, at the risk of totally getting flamed, did the new Tesla Plaid tempt any of you who are waiting on an allocation for a Taycan?

I think I'm going to stay the course w my order, but I was tempted a little bit.
Just curious, if you are drawn to Porsche for the driving experience, does Tesla have anything to offer? I've never driven a Tesla so I have no idea, but others describe it as more about being driven, and drag race bragging rights.

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag

Not at all. Amongst all the other reasons that are always cited, I just can’t imagine dropping >$130k and not feeling like you’re sitting in a luxury car.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I cancelled my Model S Long Range (not Plaid) order to get the Taycan. Having driven a 2018 Model S for 3 years up until a week ago, I know how the Model S drives, and I'm pretty sure that part doesn't change with the Plaid. Although the 2 second 0-60 is thrilling (though I've never experienced it), it's pretty unnecessary imho. As someone who went with the Taycan RWD for cost reasons, I definitely would take the Taycan over spending $130k on the Plaid.

That being said, as I stated already, I would also take the Model S LR over the Plaid, as I don't see the extra 1 second off the 0-60 to be worth $50k. The LR already has a 3.1 0-60 which is insane.

As someone who is new to Porsche and very well may switch back to the Model S 3 years from now for practicality reasons, I cannot deny that the Taycan is way more fun to actually drive.

I also finally understand what people mean about the fit and finish of a Tesla not being worthy of the price. Even though my Model S had no fit/finish issues per se, there is a certain high quality solidness and feel to all the materials and parts on the interior of the Taycan that just wasn't the same in the Tesla. I don't think the Taycan interior is necessarily the best thing ever (horrible lack of storage even with the storage package and not a big fan of the UI/screen usage), but it certainly does feel more premium.

OP
OP

dwaltchack

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, ordered TCT Turbo
Country flag
Just curious, if you are drawn to Porsche for the driving experience, does Tesla have anything to offer? I've never driven a Tesla so I have no idea, but others describe it as more about being driven, and drag race bragging rights.
I haven't driven one either and I'm sure its not half the drive of a PT. Before I drove one, there was no way in hell I was buying that car, and then after the drive, I had to have it.

Jeff R

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't think anyone is going to cancel their Taycan and order a Tesla right now. I ordered a Model S on January 7 and gave up a couple of weeks ago and bought the Taycan. Tesla has only shipped a handful of the Model S this year. At least that's what it looks like in California.

Despite waiting for several months longer than when the car was promised, I never received a call or email from Tesla to let me know what was going on. So with no car and zero customer service I spec'd a 4S and found exactly what I wanted on the lot at the Porsche dealership.

This is my first Porsche. Although Porsche is far behind Tesla with their technology, I love driving this car!

Thanks to the folks who run this forum for all their hard work. I have to say this forum is a lot more civil than the Tesla forum.

Jeff

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Besides quality handling etc. even the performance that is promised/fake advertised by Tesla just scream that you shouldn’t get a MS.

A german magazine tested the cars in continuous accelerations. The MS goes down to its kneesafter just 3 runs. The Taycan keeps on going like it should.

Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? C73F395D-DA6B-42B7-943B-0F75DE232120

Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1CF4FF3E-8488-4863-8692-4A00002D6DF9

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Besides quality handling etc. even the performance that is promised/fake advertised by Tesla just scream that you shouldn’t get a MS.

A german magazine tested the cars in continuous accelerations. The MS goes down to its kneesafter just 3 runs. The Taycan keeps on going like it should.

C73F395D-DA6B-42B7-943B-0F75DE232120.jpeg

1CF4FF3E-8488-4863-8692-4A00002D6DF9.jpeg
This is the old model S. No data for the new one yet.

im tempted for their software, charging infrastructure, and now the new interior. Outside of that? Meh. I wouldn't get one made in Fremont, however. Would have to be from the West Taiwan factory, or preferably, the German one they're building.

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
The yoke steering wheel in the Plaid is not at all to my liking, and based on early blog posts from people who tried it in the Bay Area, it does need some getting used to, and they still aren't fan of it.

If your thing is playing video games while hanging out at Superchargers, I see the appeal. But as far as style, comfort and driving dynamics, which are the attributes I care about in a car, I'll stick to the Taycan.

The only thing I envy the Plaid model, and considered a Plaid+ was range, but the difference is not as drastic as what it is on paper, because of the difference in EPA cycle testing and Tesla constantly overpromising. I'm willing to pay a premium to not have to deal with false promises from Elon and not being promised things that they won't be delivering on.

I'm a bit allergic to Elon's speculation with Bitcoin and Tesla gambling on speculative assets. Many aspects of Porsche are boring and pragmatic, and that's what I like.

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
The Plaid+ with 800+km of range was interesting, but now that it was killed I don't have much interest in Model S. Maybe if the Roadster comes some day and delivers on the promises, it could be my next car.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I'm very concerned about all those reported software related problems.
I'd like to have a car, "up & running", not a loaner instead.
Sponsored