Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid?

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
Exterior just doesn’t do it for me, looks like a nice sedan. Nothing more. And the more aftermarket added to it the more it looks like a teenager’s car. Just my opinion if fanboy nation is lurking remember it’s just an opinion
This is the entire thing for me and the reason why I'm not interested. If they had a totally different exterior that looks way more aggressive on their performance model, great. But they don't. It's still confused with a Ford Fusion often enough that there is no status in driving one.

Bari

First Name
Bari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 911 GTS, 2021 Cayenne GTS Coupe, 2021 Taycan.
Country flag
But, at the risk of totally getting flamed, did the new Tesla Plaid tempt any of you who are waiting on an allocation for a Taycan?

I think I'm going to stay the course w my order, but I was tempted a little bit.
Looks nice. Road & Track said the numbers are exaggerated. Still build quality issues.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
But, at the risk of totally getting flamed, did the new Tesla Plaid tempt any of you who are waiting on an allocation for a Taycan?

I think I'm going to stay the course w my order, but I was tempted a little bit.
Here you go - I am sure you will love your Tesla but...
Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 4AE374F7-425B-4A58-9C32-941CB4C1B91D_1_201_a

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I think we should accept the fact that Tesla has great tech, Plaid is an awesome car. I think you just can't wipe away their impact on the EV world, period. No Tesla Model S, no Taycan. I love my Teslas for what they are, EVs with great range and charging network. I'm ordering a Cross Turismo because I also love Porsche's build quality and overall feel. I couldn't wait for the Plaid and facelift, so I got another X last Nov.

I have yet to own a Taycan, but I have taken dozens of road trips in my Model Xs and Model 3. No issue whatsoever. At some Supercharger stations with EA chargers near by, I always see somebody on the phone with EA, asking why the charger don't work, or have them reset charger, etc... Of course, I'm hoping this will change over time.

My Taycan Cross Turismo will be my daily driver, commute, work, canyon carver. My X will be my road trip car.

I'm curious how many people have a Taycan as their ONLY car? I can live with my Model X as the only car, but I don't think I can with the Taycan, at least not with the current charging infrastructure.

IF the new Plaid's build quality has improved. I might be interested in a Plaid X to replace my '16 X.

Tesla is still ahead of the whole EV market. Yes, Taycans are great, but it's still years behind. You can say they have the best build quality in the world, and drives great (I'm buying one), it's still a very niche player right now.

Everybody says onlookers drool over a Taycan, I would too. I think it looks way better than a Model S, but they're not going to move the needle by selling Taycans. Tesla will keep moving the needle, Model 3, Model Y, mass appeal. You might not like it, but the guy that owns a Camry will save up to buy one, Camry owner will not be saving up to buy a Taycan just because it's an EV.

Porsche does add a blip to Elon's radar. Because of the Taycan, Plaid exist!! I mean, the man child Elon just wants to claim best at everything. Good for him, but even better for us, because he can make it happen. How many meetings do you think will take before VAG will enable build-in dashcam recording? Took a couple of tweets, and Elon says "yes", a few software updates, and boom.

These are 2 very different car culture icons. Hence their customers will be vastly different based on their own likes and dislikes. Nobody wants to feel like they just own something that's inferior to the other side. Human nature, hence everybody defending their own platform.

BUT, after typing all that. My point is. Both brands will help move EV forward, it could be Tesla taking the lead for a cycle, then Porsche Gen 2 Taycan will blow everybody away, then we get a new thread like this all over again. Either way, it's good for us. I'm lucky and fortunate I can choose both brands, for those that can't. They'll choose what's best for their own reasons, and Tesla churning out a few hundred thousand cars every quarter says a lot of people choose them. But the more EVs both companies sell, the better our world will be. Future transportation is a win for consumers.

-ThinkMac-
Waiting for the arrival of a CT to replace an X as family car and despite ordering the ridiculously overpriced bike rack and roof box, already fearing it’s going to be a challenge! I love the Tesla and it’s been a great car. Hoping my first Porsche experience will be a good one!

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
I cancelled my Model S Long Range (not Plaid) order to get the Taycan. Having driven a 2018 Model S for 3 years up until a week ago, I know how the Model S drives, and I'm pretty sure that part doesn't change with the Plaid. Although the 2 second 0-60 is thrilling (though I've never experienced it), it's pretty unnecessary imho. As someone who went with the Taycan RWD for cost reasons, I definitely would take the Taycan over spending $130k on the Plaid.

That being said, as I stated already, I would also take the Model S LR over the Plaid, as I don't see the extra 1 second off the 0-60 to be worth $50k. The LR already has a 3.1 0-60 which is insane.

As someone who is new to Porsche and very well may switch back to the Model S 3 years from now for practicality reasons, I cannot deny that the Taycan is way more fun to actually drive.

I also finally understand what people mean about the fit and finish of a Tesla not being worthy of the price. Even though my Model S had no fit/finish issues per se, there is a certain high quality solidness and feel to all the materials and parts on the interior of the Taycan that just wasn't the same in the Tesla. I don't think the Taycan interior is necessarily the best thing ever (horrible lack of storage even with the storage package and not a big fan of the UI/screen usage), but it certainly does feel more premium.
I had a fully equipped, top of the line Model S for 7 years. Yes, over that time Tesla sliced a few tenths of a second of the fastest sedan 0 -60 times, but all those sudden bursts of acceleration are relative and there is little chance to actually experience drag racing in town, which in itself becomes flat out stupid.

There is always the thrill of a needed explosion of passing power which EV's do better than ICE's, and simply knowing you have the stored energy to suddenly pass most anything on the road is hugely rewarding, but actually arriving at 60 mph a half second sooner is cocktail party talk. It's not an experience you will ever be able to test unless you're reviewing cars for a living.

The real difference between the new Plaid and the Taycan Turbo S we now drive is how it feels when you approach it, wash it, care for it, sit in it, drive it and watch others watch it on the road.

No one will be staring at a Tesla Plaid. Waxing it on the weekend will surely reveal its ill fitting parts. Sitting in it should feel like you put an engine on your office. While the Tesla is a true futuristic invention, but is not a great motor car.

The Taycan is simply the latest Porsche, and that alone sets it apart from all else.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Here you go - I am sure you will love your Tesla but...
4AE374F7-425B-4A58-9C32-941CB4C1B91D_1_201_a.jpeg
first off this is great and I loved it - literally LOL

but you've got to realize for the newer generation their _DO_ spend their youth wishing they could own a Tesla - Tesla's has been extremely successful at placing itself as an "aspirational" brand - we may see through it - but this ad says more about the Porsche customer base than it does about today's youth…

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Just curious, if you are drawn to Porsche for the driving experience, does Tesla have anything to offer? I've never driven a Tesla so I have no idea, but others describe it as more about being driven, and drag race bragging rights.
Tesla is not a static automaker, people still talking about driving dynamics, quality o material etc. they improved year after year and for sure the driving dynamic are way better than the Model S 2020. The Plaid was created as a direct competition of Taycan Turbo S, for sure the battery cooling and performance was improved

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag

I think it would be great for Tesla to concentrate on the things we like about our Taycan. The fit and finish, luxury interior and materials, braking and handling, great acceleration that is sustainable many times over, fast charging, and adequate range. If they can come up with a real world 450-500 mile range car, and improve all these other issues I would be interested. I have owned 4 Tesla cars now and 1 Taycan (4 Porsche), the Tesla driving experience is not bad, it just isn't as refined as Porsche. I don't believe that they are even trying to match Porsche in that respect. Tesla is trying to build as many fast EV's with long range as possible. Porsche is building a few really great driving EV's with adequate range and the Porsche customer service and driving experience. They have very different goals. I am very happy we have these choices in the market now and even more in the future. I also thank Tesla for starting this trend, Taycan probably would not have ever been developed were it not for the success of Tesla Model S, and Tesla as a car company.

vaelin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 RS, G550, EQS580+
Country flag
TL;DR first: No.

Longer version:
Attached is our 'stable' of 2 Teslas, and 2 Porsches. Model X P90D Ludicrious, Model 3 Performance with suspension mods, a 997 Turbo, and of course the Taycan Turbo S.

I cancelled my 2.5 years-long Roadster reservation when the opportunity came up for a Turbo S. The Mission E just drew my desires, and when the Taycan turned out to be 90% of that, it was one of those constant "should I wait for Roadster, should I go for the Mission E?" In the end, a fully-loaded Taycan came up and I couldn't say no anymore. I can safely say.. I know I made the right choice. When the Roadster finally, one day, gets released, I would likely not spring for it.

So I was cross shopping a Roadster versus a Taycan Turbo S. A Model S? Not even a basis for comparison for me.

Porsche Taycan Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid? 1624296431799

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
When the Roadster finally, one day, gets released, I would likely not spring for it.
I'm still willing to bet Roadster 2.0 never ships - but that's just my $0.02 - I feel sorry for the people who plopped down $250k "founders" editions deposits - OMG the opportunity cost of that capital in the last few years is huge…

I both love and hate Tesla/Elon…{sigh}

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Besides quality handling etc. even the performance that is promised/fake advertised by Tesla just scream that you shouldn’t get a MS.

A german magazine tested the cars in continuous accelerations. The MS goes down to its kneesafter just 3 runs. The Taycan keeps on going like it should.

C73F395D-DA6B-42B7-943B-0F75DE232120.jpeg

1CF4FF3E-8488-4863-8692-4A00002D6DF9.jpeg
Besides quality handling etc. even the performance that is promised/fake advertised by Tesla just scream that you shouldn’t get a MS.

A german magazine tested the cars in continuous accelerations. The MS goes down to its kneesafter just 3 runs. The Taycan keeps on going like it should.

C73F395D-DA6B-42B7-943B-0F75DE232120.jpeg

1CF4FF3E-8488-4863-8692-4A00002D6DF9.jpeg
You are talking about the oldest Model S, it wasn’t a misleading, you have to keep in mind that is a Sedan that people started to use as sports car. Now if the Plaid doesn’t perform you’re right.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
first off this is great and I loved it - literally LOL

but you've got to realize for the newer generation their _DO_ spend their youth wishing they could own a Tesla - Tesla's has been extremely successful at placing itself as an "aspirational" brand - we may see through it - but this ad says more about the Porsche customer base than it does about today's youth…
Yep. - it was just a bit of fun, but there is no helping some people ?

vaelin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 RS, G550, EQS580+
Country flag
I'm still willing to bet Roadster 2.0 never ships - but that's just my $0.02 - I feel sorry for the people who plopped down $250k "founders" editions deposits - OMG the opportunity cost of that capital in the last few years is huge…

I both love and hate Tesla/Elon…{sigh}
I plopped down $50k for 2.5 years in a non-Founder's reservation.. which would've been close to $800k if I had just plopped it into TSLA. /shame
Sponsored