DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Happy to report I spent the day driving and I'm warming up to the car very nicely. Working around it's weird charging quirks (profiles/timers are just ridiculously overcomplicated IMO!).

I think it's going to work out ok.
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well, a 911 is a hardcore sportscar and the Taycan a bloody fast saloon.
It's only a compliment that the Taycan is being compared to a 911 but honestly, different cars, c'mon guys...
So I don’t want to start something, because apparently there is already a bit of battle about this with Porsche fans (remember I am not one). I would never get the modern 911’s, because they are not true “sports cars,” they have been softened and made too luxurious. I know there are track variants, I am talking about the main part of the line. They are really for people who want to have a daily driver which is a sports car “like.” And around here I swear most 911’s go below the speed limit.

If we want to talk about the “real” Porsche sports car it has to be the Cayman GT or 718 Spyder.

I will now put on my helmet and padding and wait for the blows to rain down….

Last edited:

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Taycan is hugely heavy, and it doesn't take much pushing to figure it out. It's handling defies physics, but there is no getting away from the physics when it comes to braking and the ability of the car to shift it's balance. The Taycan is just not a track car - it is the best car I've ever driven in terms of a street car and a 'gran turismo' designed to soak up the miles in the most satisfying possible ways. There is no way the car is even close to as engaging as a 911 or Boxster/Cayman.

For fun, it's tough to beat a Boxster/Cayman on the street, especially if you can still swing a manual transmission. I really miss my street/track Cayman - it was the most fun I've ever had on the street, but I might have had a bit of trouble keeping my license if I hadn't sold the car...:angel:
I agree 100%. When late braking going into an exit ramp you can feel the weight and sometimes I wonder if If I started braking a little too late and I'm going to crash. That being said, it's a different animal than my 911 Turbo S was and the caymans that preceded it. It truly is the best daily driver car I've ever had. I'm happy to still have an ICE car (Huracan) as my loud engaging car. But the Taycan definitely has more punch then the Lambo. The lambo gives people a big grin when you hammer it. The taycan elicits screams and then laughs after I let off the pedal so the passenger can breath again.
As a daily driver you can have fun with that acceleration daily. If I had a fun jaunt to work with my 997.2 turbo S, I would drain 1/3 of the gas tank. So when I daily drove it for about 6 months, I would limit fun blasts to only a few per tankful because otherwise I had to refill every 4 days. I had a range of about 200 miles with it when driven conservatively. With the Taycan Turbo, I'm filling up at home every day, so I don't need to hold back on the pedal if I don't want to.

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just got my Taycan RWD yesterday - traded a 991 Targa on it - and I’m second guessing that decision.
I already miss the open roof and the better off the line performance. Plus the cooler styling.

it doesn’t help that the electronics and charging experience are so buggy.

I’m going to give it an honest try and see how it goes. Worst case I order another Targa and trade this against it.

For the record I’m a huge believer in EV tech and torque and really do want to love this car.

So far my big complaints are the giant size and the difficult ingress/egress. And the myriad of apps that overcomplicate the experience. Why aren’t connect, charging and my Porsche one unified app?

it pains me to say Tesla is really ahead in this regard.
I'm still a believer despite the bugginess. I had the dead 12 V issue and had to have it towed in where it stayed for 2 weeks. Then it went back for the update and stayed 1 week. Then when I got it back, the passenger screen no longer worked so it went back for another week. During this time away from me, I got to experience a 4S and then a RWD as loaners. The 4S is ony marginally slower than my Turbo. It has plenty of punch. It definitely is the sweet spot in the price to performance. The RWD is not satisfyingly quick enough. To me it feels like you are driving a bumper car. You hit the pedal and you start smoothly cruising faster, but there isn't that big slam of your head against the head rest. It definitely feels lighter and is for sure better handling, but the power isn't impressive. Trade up to a 4S if you can and you will be happy.

JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Understand all points in the thread, but here's a picture of my brother putting it down on a back road....his smile says it all ! With the few vehicles we've owned/operated, the Taycan seems to elicit the most amazing response from drivers and passengers (including hardcore Porsche friends). It's an amazing vehicle and we have to help foster positive change so that we are ultimately supporting everything this site stands for - Porsche owners, driver enthusiasts, EV evangelists, and to be thrilled every time we get behind the wheel just to head to the grocery store.

Porsche Taycan Second thoughts – moving back to ICE IMG_0965

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
More than anything, for me, it’s lack of a manual that’ll make my next car an ICE (in addition to, not in place of the Taycan though).

I could deal with the lack of sound (or proper sound...). But there’s just something about downshifting a manual than can’t be replaced.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...has no real appreciation for the history of Porsche, the 911, or the motorsport fame...
I am new to Porsche with the Taycan. I am not into motorsport at all, but I since appreciated how hard my Taycan can eat corners. RAS, PTV+, I am not sure I can go without it...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I could deal with the lack of sound (or proper sound...). But there’s just something about downshifting a manual than can’t be replaced.
Did they miss this as an option? Peddles on the wheel for simulated up and down shifting...

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
So I don’t want to start something, because apparently there is already a bit of battle about this with Porsche fans (remember I am not one). I would never get the modern 911’s, because they are not true “sports cars,” they have been softened and made too luxurious. I know there are track variants, I am talking about the main part of the line. They are really for people who want to have a daily driver which is a sports car “like.” And around here I swear most 911’s go below the speed limit.

If we want to talk about the “real” Porsche sports car it has to be the Cayman GT or 718 Spyder.

I will now put on my helmet and padding and wait for the blows to rain down….
??? ive had a 997 for 15 years. Is that a sports car? The basic 992 is 100% an upto date sports car. It’s like Jackie Stewart saying to Lewis Hamilton ‘ that’s not an f1 car your driving! That’s more like a computerised rocket on wheels!’
Technology moves on but I implore you to drive a 992 and tell me it’s not a sports car ???
Everyone entitled to their opinion but some car magazines are blinkered

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
ICE is a dying breed. Enjoy it while you can.

Personally, I’m loving the Taycan and while I do miss the sound of a roaring engine times, I find that more often I desire the quiet with the music cranked up. For me, that more than makes up for it. It’s all about personal trade-offs.
Yep. No matter what I believe EV is the best vehicle for daily use/commuting. People who question it may not be 100% comfortable and I understand. New things and change scare some. I cannot imagine not having a EV today - especially with Taycan.

Who wants to go back to not having a smart phone? WiFi? A microwave? LCD/LED television? Anyone??

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Mmh…
The 911 is fantastic, especially a natural aspirating one. Manual. 991.
Otherwise, on public roads the Taycan is much better.

In an ideal world, I'd have a manual 991.2 4.0 in addition to my TT.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Just wanted to know if I was the only EV owner missing the raw ICE experience, and apparently there are a few of us still out there :)
I get your drift, and must admit I do too. In my opinion ICE and EV it's two very different types of vehicles even if they look similar, which express another feeling straight into your spine when driving them. My son has also expressed this thought, missing the engine rumbling, the mechanical transmission, and sound from the exhaust . . . even if he swears to EV as well. Personally I will not let go of my TBS. It was a gift from my son and wife, which I really love, and enjoy every day I drive it. Having said that, I would not mind a 911 as well, in addition to the Taycan. The new Targa would be on my mind in that case . . . with its beautiful and sporty line. It will match perfectly next to my other Porsche :cool: However I doubt my wife will approve that easily . . . might risk she take back and sell my first one :facepalm:

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Complaining that the Taycan is not "fun" compared to a 911 is like complaining the MINI Cooper is not practical for hauling things around compared to a Ford F-150.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
For me, I don't think the Taycan will completely scratch the itch for a manual, naturally aspirated sports car. But, the reality is that for probably 90% of my driving it will be a better fit. And within that 90%, there's probably 20% where having a fast car that handles well is nice (or else why not just get a SUV plus a sports car). Within that 20%, sure, it'd be nice to have some sound and shifting but not at the expense of making the rest of my driving time less pleasant.
Sponsored