Strange Braking Issue

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
If you could update us that would be great. I’m on the m25 and the car just didn’t slow down on breaking enough and I literally had to do an emergency break
Sponsored

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
You get used to it Russ, but for the first few weeks I hated it snd thought there was something wrong with the brakes. It still catches me out sometimes when I brake hard into a country corner and feel I’m not slowing down enough. Car going back in on Monday for some warranty work so I’ll be asking them to check then.
Thanks (and sorry for the autocorrect typo!) I have not reported it but would be interested in what they say, mines back in the end of the month too for software patch and calibration for the drive control fault thingy, have you experienced that yet too?

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have to come in slowly to my garage as I have an angle and narrow clearance to negotiate. A few times now, coming in at low speeds has resulted in that mushy pedal mushy. It is extremely inconsistent, I will go a couple of weeks with no recurrence then suddenly scare the crap out of me as I’m about to hit a brick wall!!!! I’ve had it a couple of times when backing out of parking spaces as well. The only consistency is low speed. I came on here tonight to search for exactly this issue. Did any of you take it back to servicing? Did you get any resolution? Does it just disappear for long periods like mine so you think it’s all in your head and then BOHICA!?
Dam, happened to me once when reversing at low speed (post software update) and just thought it was a one-off glitch. Sounds like I may have to keep a look out for it on an ongoing basis

nk516681

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I haven’t reported it yet as I keep thinking it’s in my news but it definitely isn’t… I’ve nearly rear ended others cars at slow speeds because the breaks don’t respond, feel spongey and the pedal travels further
Did you get to bottom of this? I am experiencing similar things - and was wondering what you are being told about it.

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
After recent update I have noticed a strange braking issue. When braking the brake seems to work then it sinks a further few inches without any braking torque. If you push further then it seem to slow down. But not as fast as normal. Anyone else experienced this?
I have just noticed a significant change in braking performance that sounds similar to yours. My 2020 4S has been fine until yesterday when I used the recup mode for the first time in over 6 months. Following this the gradual braking over distance was fine, but at lower speeds/coming to a stop the brakes seemed to lack response, had resistance but no action and needed a sudden increase in pressure to depress the pedal past this resistance. This resulted in a juddering noise as the vehicle slowed down/stopped.
This cannot be right, I nearly hit a car at a set of traffic lights, when the car failed to respond to the pedal sufficiently, and it has only just started.
It’s going into Porsche soon as the driver’s side charging port has ceased working and the heater will only blow out cold air.

JQuin

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TurboS, Bentley 4.5L, Massey Ferguson 5711!
Country flag
I have had the same issue over the past few months. Can I ask if anyone has had it resolved and, if so, was the remedy software or hardware related? I just read about a brake-related recall on Taycans in the US but I'm not sure it's the same issue. Thanks...

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have had the same issue over the past few months. Can I ask if anyone has had it resolved and, if so, was the remedy software or hardware related? I just read about a brake-related recall on Taycans in the US but I'm not sure it's the same issue. Thanks...
Apparently it was software related and resolved by the dealer during a check up for another update.

DynamoCappo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Hi tots, how’s it going. I feel something different to ( and definitely not better) since the update. I notice that at very low speeds, less than 5mph the pedal travels much further,I am sure it didn’t use to do that. They appear to have programmed the brake pedal blend ( between regen and mechanical) slightly differently which gives an inconsistent feel.it would be good to understand the programming logic of what has changed
Hi, did you ever get any sort of an outcome / resolution on this?

I've done about 1500 miles in mine now over two months. My regen braking (with the green light) hasn't kicked in yet at all.

Today, I noticed exactly what you describe and it's a definite change from what I've felt so far.

The breaks function normally slowing down from any speed either 70pmh, 40mph or 20mph and the car reacts normally from that range. Until...

...when it gets to that 5mph zone, the breaks feel soft and I am having to press the pedal harder for that last few mph to stop it completely than I've done in any driving before now.

It's definitely just come on today as a thing.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I changed to a Taycan gts nd the new one is the same too…. It’s definately a feature of the model 😀

your regen should be working by now, that’s very late to start. Take it for a spirited drive and really work the brakes, if it doesn’t start after that then I would get Porsche to take a look

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Hi, did you ever get any sort of an outcome / resolution on this?

I've done about 1500 miles in mine now over two months. My regen braking (with the green light) hasn't kicked in yet at all.

Today, I noticed exactly what you describe and it's a definite change from what I've felt so far.

The breaks function normally slowing down from any speed either 70pmh, 40mph or 20mph and the car reacts normally from that range. Until...

...when it gets to that 5mph zone, the breaks feel soft and I am having to press the pedal harder for that last few mph to stop it completely than I've done in any driving before now.

It's definitely just come on today as a thing.
I spoke with a Porsche tech at a dealer during a Porsche organized event, and he told me during PDI they accelerate to 60mph and brake hard to break the car in. I suspect the dealer where I got mine also did something similar, since my regen worked from day one. Also read here people saying that harder braking seems to help enable it, so might be worth a try (doing it somewhere where it's safe, so you won't end up with another car in your trunk).

Last edited:

DynamoCappo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I changed to a Taycan gts nd the new one is the same too…. It’s definately a feature of the model 😀

your regen should be working by now, that’s very late to start. Take it for a spirited drive and really work the brakes, if it doesn’t start after that then I would get Porsche to take a look

Hmm, I'm not convinced.

It's just started today. There's definitely, having gone round the block there, and audible whine from the braking when pressing hard at that 5mph to 0 point now too. Think it'll be a trip to the dealership tomorrow.

Want them to check why the regeneration light isn't showing at this point anyway. He's had enough spirited bursts by now to kick it in to life. Did see another post somewhere saying someone else's didn't kick in til 3500 miles though.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Hmm, I'm not convinced.

It's just started today. There's definitely, having gone round the block there, and audible whine from the braking when pressing hard at that 5mph to 0 point now too. Think it'll be a trip to the dealership tomorrow.

Want them to check why the regeneration light isn't showing at this point anyway. He's had enough spirited bursts by now to kick it in to life. Did see another post somewhere saying someone else's didn't kick in til 3500 miles though.
Does your regen kick in (see green on power meter) when you enable overrun recuperation and let off the accelerator pedal?

DynamoCappo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Does your regen kick in (see green on power meter) when you enable overrun recuperation and let off the accelerator pedal?
I'd need to check. That's a job for the morning, thanks.

I've never seen the green on the power meter at all under any circumstance.

I'd need to look up how to enable overrun recuperation. Is that via the PCM?
Sponsored