Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
For my input

Welcome to the forum i found it very useful as when I specced my Turbo there were no UK cars and Covid struck!

the first time I actually saw a Taycan was the day I collected the car 9 months after I ordered it!

I would personally suggest looking at upgrading to a Turbo as it won't cost you Much more if you are financing the car due to the much higher residual and you get some of your options as standard ie met paint, wheels, larger battery, LED, heat seats (plus full leather, PTV+ and upgraded seats)

i have RWS and PTV+ in my turbo and they are great there is no bodybroll in the car it's like witch craft
I didn't get PDCC as I have no plans to take my car on track (I would rather use someone else's)

it's so easy to keep adding options! I spent close to 20k and I wish I had chosen a couple more and could easily have removed some I have chosen

the great thing about Porsche is there are so many options that you don't get many the same
I did the same spec with the Turbo and it came out £22k more ... sadly, I really can't go that high.
Sponsored

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
I did the same spec with the Turbo and it came out £22k more ... sadly, I really can't go that high.
I did the same, and it was about $30K more...for a small bit of horsepower I will never use and higher residual that I hope to not cash in on for many years...4S FTW (for me)

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Lastly, I have to park on the street, so I am hoping to get a lamp post conversion with Ubitricity ... I will have to buy an Ubitricity smart cable ... but they are out of stock and no sign when they will become available ...

My order currently has a Public charging cable (Type 2) in it, I assume that will be redundant if and when I get the Ubitricity smart cable?

Do I leave the Type 2 public charging cable in my order, or wait and see ... and buy one later if I can't get an Ubitricity one? Will I be able to buy one at time of delivery?
Hi and welcome. Others have opined on the options, so let me add my 2p on the charging.

The lack of off-street parking and the inability to home charge will be a challenge, but it's not impossible. My brother runs a Nissan Leaf around London via public chargers and his local Nissan dealer charger, as does a friend with a Renault Zoe. You'll have to become something of a ninja knowing where all your local public chargers are, set up accounts with the many various services and learn to shop very slowly if you are using supermarket chargers. Also prepare for a lot of public points to be out of order, I became on good terms with Pod Point customer service as I was reporting their chargers being out of service so often at my local Sainsburys.

If you haven't already, I strongly recommend you use Zap Map website and phone app to scope out the charging landscape, and read the comments on each charger to see how often they are out of service to get an idea of reliability.

You will *definitely* need a Type 2 cable as many / most London chargers are untethered.

The biggest challenge will be charging speeds, with most public chargers still 7kW, although faster chargers are springing up, ZapMap is again your friend here. You mention Ubitricity, I think they are all 5kW, so if you manage to get a lamp post charger in your street, prepare for a long charge time (18 hours empty to full). Are they on your street, or are they coming to your street? How many lamp post points are there, can you always get to one? The spaces aren't reserved, will they then be often ICEd by non-EVs?

Lastly have you factored in charging cost? While some (supermarkets mostly) chargers are still free, most are now charging. For example I see Ubitricity are 24p/kWh which is double what I pay to charge at home. Shell are installing 50Kw and 150Kw chargers, but at 39p/kWh, more reasonable are the ESB 50kW chargers (originally just for black cabs, but we can use them now too) at 29p/kWh if any are local to you.

I guess what I am saying is that public chargers are an expensive way to run an EV...

By the way, you mention Westfield, which could be either side of London :) but if you're West then Porsche West London have rapid chargers on the forecourt that I assume customers can use (I haven't asked....yet!).

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I looked at two more, the Taycan and the iPace.
Personally I prefer something a bit more spacious and high riding.
I know this is a Porsche forum and there were rumors that I lack brand loyalty, but I do wonder, if you have looked at the Audi e-tron, which does sell quite well in Norway...

Porsche Taycan Switching from BMW X5 35d to Taycan 4S - Decisions Decisions 20200711_093423

For all doubters, this is my brand loyalty shrine, which I have been meditating for years...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So, I'm going to give you a blunt assessment here.. I think you're in for a world of trouble.

If you don't have off street parking with your own charger, you shouldn't be buying an EV. You're going to run into just constant problems and it will be a disaster.
Yes, this makes a big difference. I had to charge the first 3 months on a SC in town, before I got my home charger installed. That wasn't fun. But once you have the "come home and stick it" EV, it all becomes a pleasant no-brainier and you really don't want to go back to the smelly gas stations.

Please make sure, you have a easy, reliable, convenient daily way of charging.

Dogs_Tess_Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (delivered 31/07/2020), 996 911 C4S, Mercedes_E320
Country flag
@Neighs - Heres' a little user feedback for you on some of the toys I have :

• PDCC - Brilliant. The car sticks better to the UK country roads than my C4S did.
  • InnoDirve & Adaptive Cruse control - Brilliant. In congested traffic, especially on motorways like the notorious M25. Yes, the car will emergency brake to stop if it thinks a collision is immanent. I had a white van turning right at speed the over day, possible t-Bone collision. The car displayed red chevrons on the drivers display, moved to the left to cover itself and applied a quick automatic stomp on the brakes.
  • Porsche Electric Sport Sound - Definitely. Always ON, except when on the motorway and in Range mode. People have commented how nice and distinctive the car sounds when approaching and passing-by.
  • Sport Chrono Package - Definitely. The clock for me is Classic Porsche. There are additional graphical feature for the driver and passenger. (see Passenger system) Switching modes while driving has become a habit and natural. To either raise or stiffen the cars presences on the road.
  • LED Matrix headlights inc. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus - I have the Ice Blue option pack and they look very nice, even when not switched ON.
  • Panoramic roof, fixed glass - Absolutely. Nothing better than having natural light coming into the interior. I also found during the past few weeks with the hot weather, that the UV filtering keeps the car cooler inside.
  • ParkAssist including Surround View - Works as expected. Always good to have a second pair of eyes if you are driving alone. External audible warnings too.
  • Lane Change Assist - Combined with InnoDirve & Adaptive Cruse control all three complement each other. Use on the M4 many times and apart from the "Handsfree" indications and warnings on the drivers display, it works very well when in built-up traffic.
  • Comfort Access - Nice to have. Takes a little time to get to know the approaching "Zones" and the additional options on the door handles. But I'm happy I have it.
  • Heated steering wheel (i.c.w. Sport Chrono Package) - Heated wheel will come in handy during the winter months. Haven't have the need to try it yet. Too many other distractions in the car to remember to try it out !!
  • BOSE® Surround Sound System - Always nice. Had it on many a cars and homes and still deep, light and rich sound.
  • Powered charging port cover - Yep. Nice cool feature.
  • Public charging cable (Type 2) - A MUST. Very happy I got this. Although there are similar off-the-shelf products you can buy online. I was not really sure at the time of ordering my Turbo why/when I would use or need it. Then the other weekend, when I rocked up to a BP Charging post, there was no cable. So the Public charging cable came out of the boot and it did exactly what is said on the tin.

In addition, I also have:
  • Passenger Interactive Entertainment System - Brilliant. Your passenger can plan future routes, help with planning a off route charging location, interact with other systems on the car. All WITHOUT interfering with the master satnav system, driver controls and displays. It also finishes off the digital interior beautifully.
  • Adaptive Driver and Passenger Sports Seats (18-Way, electric) with memory package - Having done a lot of track time. I love these. You can "pull" the seats in like a snug racing seat. I have two stored memory setting. "Soft Sunday driving" and "Firm tight Race mode"...... love 'em
  • Power Steering Plus - Complements the PDCC system
  • 21-Inch Mission E Design Wheels - Look great and, on my car, do not generate the road noise that has been reported on some other online resources.
FYI - I do not live far from Westfield, so if you would like a casual walk-though and demo of mine, to help you with your choices, then PM me. Happy to help.

** All of the above are statements that are IMPO and I'm sure other folks have there own too. **