Switching from Telsa Model S to Taycan 4S. Feedback from anyone who has done this?!

nelsonmanha

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi All!

I am looking for anyone who has went from a Tesla Model S to the Taycan? Please provide some insight. Are you happy with the change?

I am frustrated with Tesla over:
Service
Communication
Build Quality
Long term dependability of the car

I love:
Telsa's Current Auto Pilot and other cutting edge tech.

I have test driven the Taycan 4S from a local dealership. I loved everything about it but they are very behind tesla on the driver assistance features (innodrive lane keep and adaptive cruise control. 1 Pedal Driving, the app, and some other things too) I am very worried I will miss the Tesla Autopilot as I drive about 30 mins a day each way to work. However, I love everything else much more about the Taycan. I know the Taycan much higher quality car.

Any feedback from owners who switched would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim
I do have a model X so pretty close experience than the s. The taycan inside lack of noise is incredible compared to the tesla( I used to think the tesla was incredible). The immodrive and cruise on taycan is not in par to the self driving of the tesla. I have a full self drive model I would compare to the model x of 2016 2017 pretty good keeping you at highway and street speed and the lines but not very smart. the build quality on the porsche is far superior ( I mean the things you touch). I experience far more problems with the taycan glitchy systems than the tesla. the porsche app is useless comparing to tesla ( Porsche needs o fire the team that made those apps- hire some tesla guys)
Sponsored

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I’ve had 2 model S (a 75 and p100) a model x and two model 3 performance. I traded one of my model 3 in for the Taycan 4S in December.

it’s the best EV out of all of them as far as comfort and driving experience hands down. Not even close. I occasionally miss the self drive but I love driving this car.

Porsche Taycan Switching from Telsa Model S to Taycan 4S. Feedback from anyone who has done this?! C815412B-203D-4B44-AE3F-4B658EE446A5

Tiredoftesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S100D
Country flag
The link didn't work for me but I went to my Owners Manual and I think I am looking at the correct page. It references "Setting the maximum speed". Is that the section to which you were referring?

If so, then "no, that doesn't do it". I thought it might at first as well but that setting instructs PID at what speed to drive if the PID has no detected speed limits. So, if you're driving on a country road and there have been no speed signs and the database of speeds doesn't have one for that road, the PID will set this speed as the desired speed.

If you were thinking of a different section, please quote the section title to me and I'll look it up. I'd love to see this function
Can’t find it. You are probably right. Only thing you can do is set the max speed (eg, speed limit +5) when the limit changes. This is obviously not optimal when there are frequent speed limit changes, but it works well on motorways and road trips. It’s what I always did with my MS.

MLD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Can’t find it. You are probably right. Only thing you can do is set the max speed (eg, speed limit +5) when the limit changes. This is obviously not optimal when there are frequent speed limit changes, but it works well on motorways and road trips. It’s what I always did with my MS.
Gee, I don't even see how to do that other than manually changing my set speed when PID changes the speed based on the speed limit. That's not automation at all. Is that what you meant or were you thinking of something else?

Tiredoftesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S100D
Country flag
Gee, I don't even see how to do that other than manually changing my set speed when PID changes the speed based on the speed limit. That's not automation at all. Is that what you meant or were you thinking of something else?
It's pretty simple! If the limit changes to 70 from 50, if you are going 55, hit the lever 4 times to increase in 5 MPH increments to 75. Speed distance control is then working .... the vehicle will automatically slow if needed and then automatically go back to 75 when clear.

MLD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It's pretty simple! If the limit changes to 70 from 50, if you are going 55, hit the lever 4 times to increase in 5 MPH increments to 75. Speed distance control is then working .... the vehicle will automatically slow if needed and then automatically go back to 75 when clear.
Yes, that's what I thought you meant. Not automated at all and no benefit to having PID in that case but it is the best way I have found so far.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It's pretty simple! If the limit changes to 70 from 50, if you are going 55, hit the lever 4 times to increase in 5 MPH increments to 75.
I ordered mine with speed adjustment pedals in the driver side footwell.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Bottom line, Tesla makes vehicles for customers who don't like to do the work of driving their own cars, hence why their standard AP and enhanced AP is so excellent.

Despite being a hi tech car, the Taycan is still designed to appeal to the average Porsche customer who still enjoys engaging with their car controls and doing much of the work of driving themselves, so if you like those features in your Tesla, you may not be happy with the Porsche experience expecting the same thing

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Owned two Model S, 100D, I turn in one and the end of the lease and ordered the new Model S, 400 miles 0 to 60 3.1 seconds $84.000. They changed my delivery from March to September, so been unable, to go back to gasoline and the fact that model S is the only pret car in Tesla line, I ended orders my Tayca. Very happy to have it, still have one model S, I miss Tesla easy infotainment apple style, autopilot missed. The worse of switching from Tesla to a legacy automakers is that they milk you out for any ridiculously thing such as 3D camera is additional money even if you car already have the cameras and worked on the beginning then taken away with an update. The ridiculous lawyer in the Taycan (legacy automaker) that does not let you any input while the car is moving is just plane ridiculous when everybody has a phone and doing stuff with it. You will miss that from Tesla. what I don’t miss from Tesla is the absurd customer service with no human beings. And the end I love owning both cars.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Big missing features from Tesla
1 -Sentry mode
2-Autopilot
3-infotainment and app
3 great things I'm willing to sacrifice to continue Porsche ownership. I'll never look back to Tesla.
Tesla honeymoon is over.....

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Big missing features from Tesla
1 -Sentry mode
2-Autopilot
3-infotainment and app
sentry mode is the one that is missing however it ate a lot of range and I rarely ever used it.
while innodrive is not up to the level of AP it is sufficient for me, I never used navigate on AP, I didn't care for how it changed lanes on "it's own"
infotainment on the tesla was nice, I could watch a netflix show while charging it up however the taycan charges faster. I wasn't interested in the silly games, the terrible web browser or the flatulence sounds.
one thing I do miss from the tesla is the battery data and trip meters that are lacking on the taycan

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
sentry mode is the one that is missing however it ate a lot of range and I rarely ever used it.
while innodrive is not up to the level of AP it is sufficient for me, I never used navigate on AP, I didn't care for how it changed lanes on "it's own"
infotainment on the tesla was nice, I could watch a netflix show while charging it up however the taycan charges faster. I wasn't interested in the silly games, the terrible web browser or the flatulence sounds.
one thing I do miss from the tesla is the battery data and trip meters that are lacking on the taycan
Re. "I could watch a netflix show while charging it up" just as easy to watch on a iPad.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Re. "I could watch a netflix show while charging it up" just as easy to watch on a iPad.
I suppose that it could be for those who cannot go anywhere without their Ipad
Sponsored