Take over steering problem

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
....LKA is a pain (and dangerous IMHO) and so I always have it disabled.

So of the 3 standard speed controlling features I only ever use 1 - cruise control - as the others are flawed for various reasons (poor signage, mapping errors, faint road markings etc).
About Lane Keep Assist. The 2022 manual indicates that LKA can initiate "a corrective steering intervention" , acoustic warning, and/or instrument panel warning.

(Manual also says about Emergency stop function that "If Active Lane Keeping is switched off, Lane Keep Assist is active and driver does not react to takeover prompts from LKA" then it causes emergency stop function. Same thing if car is going at very high speeds even if LKA is off.)

I'm trying to learn which assistance systems - other than Active Lane Keeping, which I do not have - brake or reduce speed of the car.
The ones that seem to (from reading manual) are:
Adaptive cruise control
Cruise control
Rear cross traffic alert (brief brake jolt)
Speed limiter
Intersection assist (brief brake jolt)
Emergency stop function (visual, acoustic, or tactile warnings in stages and brakes vehicle to standstill. Interacts with Active Lane Keeping, Lane Keep Assist, or neither.)
Warn and brake assist (different functions, depending on country)
Lane Keep Assist (in combo with emergency stop function)

Not clear to me whether Active Lane Keeping can reduce speed or brake. Information in manual is difficult to understand.

If car is braking for unknown reason, looks like a tough problem to figure out which of these systems is at fault.
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
....LKA is a pain (and dangerous IMHO) and so I always have it disabled.

So of the 3 standard speed controlling features I only ever use 1 - cruise control - as the others are flawed for various reasons (poor signage, mapping errors, faint road markings etc).
About Lane Keep Assist. The 2022 manual indicates that LKA can initiate "a corrective steering intervention" , acoustic warning, and/or instrument panel warning.

(Manual also says in Emergency stop function that "If Active Lane Keeping is switched off, Lane Keep Assist is active and driver does not react to takeover prompts from LKA" then it causes emergency stop function. Same thing if car is going at very high speeds even if LKA is off.

Would LKA be a reason a car brakes unexpectedly?

I'm trying to learn which assistance systems - other than Active Lane Keeping, which I do not have - brake or reduce speed of the car.
Adaptive cruise control
Cruise control
Rear cross traffic alert
Speed limiter
Intersection assist
Emergency stop function
Warn and brake assist

Not clear to me whether Active Lane Keeping can reduce speed or brake. Chart in manual is complicated.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

(Manual also says about Emergency stop function that "If Active Lane Keeping is switched off, Lane Keep Assist is active and driver does not react to takeover prompts from LKA" then it causes emergency stop function. Same thing if car is going at very high speeds even if LKA is off.)

Adaptive cruise control
Cruise control
Rear cross traffic alert (brief brake jolt)
Speed limiter
Intersection assist (brief brake jolt)
Emergency stop function (visual, acoustic, or tactile warnings in stages and brakes vehicle to standstill. Interacts with Active Lane Keeping, Lane Keep Assist, or neither.)
Warn and brake assist (different functions, depending on country)

Not clear to me whether Active Lane Keeping can reduce speed or brake. Information in manual is difficult to understand.

If car is braking for unknown reason, looks like a tough problem to figure out which of these systems is at fault.
Can you share the exact specifications (Porsche Code, other) of your car as this will help to understand what technologies are at play - it is not the case that everything in the manual is in your car?

dami2550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo
Country flag
Can you share the exact specifications (Porsche Code, other) of your car as this will help to understand what technologies are at play - it is not the case that everything in the manual is in your car?
I have the same issue. Just took delivery last Thursday of PNBGSUM5.

I do not have Innodrive. I have disabled everything but the alert and brake function. No dice.

The way the “Take over steering” issue occurs to me:

Driving with one hand on a steering wheel, at 5 o’clock. Drive around 140+ km/h. Don’t steer for maybe 10secs (no need, straight road). No cruise control or any other assistance. Get accelerator cut, alert on screen. In 1-3 secs steering wheel starts vibrating. Then in next maybe 3-5 secs right screen circle says something about Emergency procedure activating, and starts jolting safety belts, for both front passengers.

It goes away if you move steering wheel. It acts similarly like other cars I had with ACC and lane keep, and driving with them on, and either taking your hands off the wheel, or holding just slightly. But here I have nothing activated.

this happens at least five times during a 100km trip. It also happens if you hold the steering at 9 and 3, but don’t steer actively (again, straight road). I have not experienced it in the city, only on highway. Going faster seems to increase the frequency/ lower threshold of the system kicking in.

I have emailed dealer, but no response yet. Will post when I do.

OP
OP

mreeves

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
thanks to everyone who has replied. i'm at the end of my tether with this car - just one problem after another. time for a new one.

Jeffrey B

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW M6; Porsche Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
I get that message often, it can be scary, but it usually clears immediately. I've reported it to porsche and NHTSA but nothing has been addressed
I had the same thing happen to me in my first road trip. Scared he bejesus out of me. saw the read circle, felt like power was cut then it quickly went away. very scary.

Abe

First Name
Abdallah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I guess I'll add my experience for the sake of documentation.

This has happened to me at least 3 times in less than a month, and I'm starting to expect it every time I drive.

And just to clarify, this is NOT the usual warning in white text when ACC/LKA/ALK are active. It is a red warning message (without any previous warnings) accompanied by loss of power or slight braking that occurs even when all driving assists are off.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I had the same thing happen to me in my first road trip. Scared he bejesus out of me. saw the read circle, felt like power was cut then it quickly went away. very scary.
since the last software update I haven't seen that pop up.

Moto_Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Sport Tourismo (waiting on allotment)
Country flag
I’m currently driving a 22 E- Tron and experienced this today. I was using cruise control and noticed it after I hit a bump. Shortly after I hit a bump with my hands on the wheel the car rapidly decelerated, which was problematic as there was traffic behind me. I was able to press the accelerator in short order, but it was still not comforting.

Jeffrey B

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW M6; Porsche Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
I guess I'll add my experience for the sake of documentation.

This has happened to me at least 3 times in less than a month, and I'm starting to expect it every time I drive.

And just to clarify, this is NOT the usual warning in white text when ACC/LKA/ALK are active. It is a red warning message (without any previous warnings) accompanied by loss of power or slight braking that occurs even when all driving assists are off.
Yes that is exactly what I experienced, very scary- made my heart stop and happened more than once on my first roadtrip. hopefully they can resolve with some over the air update. would be nice to have some recognition that the problem is being working on. Thanks for sharing.

tedshuck

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I had this happen a few times last month. It seemed to happen when I was coming into a section of road where extra turn lanes were added right before an intersection. I turned off LKA and have not had an issue since.

Doley91

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Take over steering problem Screenshot 2022-11-15 152333

If you go to the little white car icon on the bottom left and then go to assistance tab (second from the top) and then click on basic assist and turn off Emergency stop function, then the "TAKE OVER STEERING" warning stops coming up. My car was at the dealership for over a week until they can figure this out. I still believe this is a problem that should be rectified by Porsche. My hands are on the wheel when this message used to come up.

Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
I only notice it if I am holding the steering wheel with one hand near 7 o’clock position wise.. the car seems to prefer 10 and 2 .. :). It is super annoying as it causes my heart to skip a beat when it happens.

TaycanPhene

First Name
Antuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Screenshot 2022-11-15 152333.jpg

If you go to the little white car icon on the bottom left and then go to assistance tab (second from the top) and then click on basic assist and turn off Emergency stop function, then the "TAKE OVER STEERING" warning stops coming up. My car was at the dealership for over a week until they can figure this out. I still believe this is a problem that should be rectified by Porsche. My hands are on the wheel when this message used to come up.

Thank a bunch for posting this fix. I was having heart attacks every other day when this message would pop up.

Viola

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve had it happen twice on two different roads. Scares me!!
Sponsored