SushiStu

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 996.2 C2 Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Forget the model year updates, this is an EU manufacturer and all the main stuff is done at mid life refresh, then new model, ie. 996.1 / 996.2 / 997.1 / 997.2
Big upgrades on similar chassis every 4-5 years over 15-16 years or so.

With the 4-5 year mid life cycle not that far off considering lead times are crazy, I'm seriously thinking of putting an interest deposit in with my dealer on the Taycan.2 so I can slot straight into it.

My question is this: What differences do you foresee there being from my Gen 1GTS to the Gen2 car at launch?

I know battery tech hasn't made any huge leaps but I'll stick my neck out and make some guesses:
  • new body kit
  • new wheel options with some older ones still available
  • 20% range increase to 360miles
  • I really hope there will be less digital controls and more real buttons i can't understand this mindless move to dangerous touchscreen gimmics. It's not very Porsche is it.
  • Revised arm rest that isn't designed by a madman
  • 22KW charging as standard
  • Car play on dashboard as well as just centre screen
  • a couple of different colours swapped in at the expense of poorly selling colours.
  • a touch more power (although maybe a halo model with over 1000BHP though to make a point to rival brands)
Anyone care to add to that?
Sponsored

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I'd guess the current sport pack bumpers/skirts will become standard at facelift and they'll launch a redesigned sport pack. That's based on years of owning audis pre/post facelift and each time it's the sports bumpers that make their way to the standard spec...though my dealer told me on Friday that Porsche don't usually do that

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Any of those changes would be welcome....

Not sure the facelift will be so great or when it will be actioned - since it has had so many mods and a range/function upgrade in 2021 - plus the ST has not been out very long - also supply chain issues etc - so they may delay by 12 months - or mebbies make the facelift more cosmetic than technical - and let the platform stabilise more before more major changes.

Then perhaps a more major upgrade for the mew model in 5-6 years?

on the other hand perhaps because of steady advances in EV tech - there could be a series of upgrades every year or so - until the new model

be interesting to see

cheers

OP
OP
SushiStu

SushiStu

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 996.2 C2 Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Thats essentially what they always do on the mid life refresh. Mod the engine and a tweak to the looks.

Look at the 997.1 vs .2

I dont think they will delay the refresh, it just makes the brand more valuable as it's hard to get.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Mirrors are an OPTION for the 2.0 model.

This is Porsche.
Maybe camera instead of mirrors :angel:
oh, and before i forget: better rear camera, at least the same quality as nissan navara 2016 (had):blush:

Last edited:

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
I would also imagine that 2024-25 models will provide additional, improved "auto" driving features including auto- or semi-auto parking.

Last edited:

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I would definitely not expect even a 10% range increase, let alone 20%.

I suppose it's possible that Porsche releases something meant to beat the Model S on the Nürburgring, but I feel like the refresh might only be a mild improvement over existing times and if they really wanted the bragging rights, they wouldn't do so in small increments.

If I had to guess, I'd say an updated center console display, soft-close doors, a few changes to available colors, and maybe a few extra cameras around the car to be used for a standard dashcam and sentry mode, plus better surround view.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Maybe camera instead of mirrors :angel:
oh, and before i forget: better resr camera, at least the same quality as nissan navara 2016 (had):blush:
Must admit, cameras look a lot better than mirrors.

Also considerably more aerodynamic where my wind tunnel engineering skills are based around this simple observation: "It looks sleek so must be aero".

Reactions: B61

KPZ

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3
Country flag
Forget the model year updates, this is an EU manufacturer and all the main stuff is done at mid life refresh, then new model, ie. 996.1 / 996.2 / 997.1 / 997.2
Big upgrades on similar chassis every 4-5 years over 15-16 years or so.

With the 4-5 year mid life cycle not that far off considering lead times are crazy, I'm seriously thinking of putting an interest deposit in with my dealer on the Taycan.2 so I can slot straight into it.

My question is this: What differences do you foresee there being from my Gen 1GTS to the Gen2 car at launch?

I know battery tech hasn't made any huge leaps but I'll stick my neck out and make some guesses:
  • new body kit
  • new wheel options with some older ones still available
  • 20% range increase to 360miles
  • I really hope there will be less digital controls and more real buttons i can't understand this mindless move to dangerous touchscreen gimmics. It's not very Porsche is it.
  • Revised arm rest that isn't designed by a madman
  • 22KW charging as standard
  • Car play on dashboard as well as just centre screen
  • a couple of different colours swapped in at the expense of poorly selling colours.
  • a touch more power (although maybe a halo model with over 1000BHP though to make a point to rival brands)
Anyone care to add to that?
I’d love to see the addition of ‘paddle shifters’, so that you can simulate down shifts.

and of course activation of full matrix headlights and an improvement of the ALK system.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Range increases are certainly possible in the 10-20 percent range. These motor systems were likely designed and finalized in 2017-2018 so by a 2025 J1.2 would be benefitting from 5-7 years of improvement and development on motors, battery tech, and control electronics including what they learned from the first few years of production.

I'd say it would be a pretty miserable failure to not improve on the range significantly. My dad owned a 2013 Tesla Model S, then a 2015, and now owns a 2020, and they've roughly done 50-70 percent improvements for the spec range and made very meaningful improvements to how much of that range translates to the real world. Granted that's a jump from extremely immature to extremely mature and almost 9 years of continuous improvement on the same platform, but Porsche can't rest on laurels.

My two cents on a few of the items in the original post:

22kw as standard: Borderline useless IRL in 95 percent of case,s because almost nobody has more than a 50A circuit in their house and if they do, that's why it's optional. Fun facts, dual onboard AC chargers with 100A capacity were optional on the early model year Model S' before Tesla realized nobody used the capacity and removed the option, in favor of DC fast charging. I COULD see them splitting the baby and doing something like a higher kw standard and removing the 22KW option altogether.

Less digital controls: Possible, but unlikely. Audi has done an interesting job in the e-tron and perhaps Porsche would take inspiration from that. What they really need to do is make the PCM interface as fluid and responsive as possible so it doesn't stick for half a second to load a menu and distract the user if that's the only input method.

CarPlay on dash: God, I can only dream. TBH I can understand them not wanting to let CarPlay run the whole dash, but it would be so nice to have the CarPlay map appear in the dash!

colors: yeah, this will happen, I think pretty normal for mid cycle.

Power: This is something I wonder about. I am not sure porsche need the car to be the fastest there is, but once you start talking about 2 or 2.2 second 0-60, you begin entering the realm of the absurd. However, considering the current 992 Turbo S can eke out a win vs the Taycan Turbo S, I suspect Porsche have something up their sleeves...
Sponsored