SushiStu

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 996.2 C2 Coupe 6MT
Country flag
they need to keep pushing this to get it to around the time it takes to refuel with petrol/gas at around <5 mins.

Most people do not need massive range, 300 miles will be sufficient as long as charging speeds come way down.
This, I also have a Jag iPace with the same size battery as the Taycan. It will never charge faster than 50kwph and I'm sorry, but no one wants to sit at a charger for 2 hours to fill a battery when doing more than the 180 mile range it has (Claimed 300 miles range BTW, what a joke).

The Taycan charges at a theoretical 270kw which is much more like it. Although I have yet to have more than 100kwph on a charge. Is that normal?

We just need about 50% as many charging stations as there are Gas stations with 350kw charge speed and a 200 mile range is no problem at all.

It's all about weight, charge speed and infrastructure.
Sponsored

BeTay22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 BMW X5 while waiting for more high-power chargers
Country flag
I don't want to fast charge, even if it takes only 5 minutes. I want a battery that lasts all day (1000 km / 600 mi) and a hotel that reserves a bed for me and a (slow) charger for my car at night. Hotels should learn their business model has changed. (It's back to the Middle Ages, when each inn also offered food and shelter for guests' horses.)

Hybrid batteries with a small high power part (for launch control and to store braking energy) and a large long range part (to get you somewhere) are being developed: e.g. One Gemini. They would not be heavier or take more space than current batteries.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
This, I also have a Jag iPace with the same size battery as the Taycan.
I too have an Ipace but my Ipace is a 2022 and while it's charging speed doesn't match the taycans it isn't as bad as you are reporting. the Ipace is a fine car excepting for the lack of the 800v system now found in many EVs

OP
OP
SushiStu

SushiStu

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 996.2 C2 Coupe 6MT
Country flag
600 miles ain't going to happen for years and years if ever. Unless it's a barge like an S class. Maybe Porsche will keep the panamera for that role who knows. But i Cant see it.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
If I understand it right, the real-time %-age battery charge reported by the myPorsche app comes from the Porsche key bluetooth. If so, I'd hope that at it's next iteration Porsche would optionally or also send this info. from the car to the app during a charging session so that there wouldn't be a need to have the key nearby to find out the state of charge of your vehicle.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
How about a red overboost button in the centre of the drive select switch? Would be great to get the extra power option on demand, even if only for 10 seconds a time.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I can't see the battery getting any bigger than it is now as it will just be too heavy. It's about efficiency from here on out.
Sorry, nonsense! GAC, CATL, BYD all have batteries with 20% less weight but 20% more energy. The battery in the Taycan in terms of
  • Cell to pack
  • Cell to chassis
  • Energy per weight
  • Energy per volume
is really old now. Read what a modern battery pack can deliver!

Porsche Taycan Taycan.2 1656643305214

I am actually worried, that Porsche management is still crying over ICEs and has not understood, that the battery is the engine of the future! This is where the research money has to go to...

I think everybody should buy a Taycan and experience it. Amazing car!!!

But as long as Porsche cannot get it's act together and get cutting edge battery and power electronics into their cars, there is no point in buying again!

Last edited:

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Sorry, nonsense! GAC, CATL, BYD all have batteries with 20% less weight but 20% more energy. The battery in the Taycan in terms of
  • Cell to pack
  • Cell to chassis
  • Energy per weight
  • Energy per volume
is really old now. Read what a modern battery pack can deliver!

1656643305214.png

I am actually worried, that Porsche management is still crying over ICEs and has not understood, that the battery is the engine of the future! This is where the research money has to go to...

I think everybody should buy a Taycan and experience it. Amazing car!!!

But as long as Porsche cannot get it's act together and get cutting edge battery and power electronics into their cars, there is no point in buying again!
I understand most of your points and i fully agree batteries are the future and the key. However, Porsche will protect its cars, especially the Taycan. You wouldn’t buy a 911 to get 50 mpg? And I’m sure range didn’t stop you ordering a Taycan.

I suspect Porsche will - at a price - do a battery swap for those interested, resulting in an extra 50 bhp and longer range and maybe a go-faster stripe. You also have to remember we all want the next model😊 I remember getting my Panamera then dribbling over the Mission E and placing an order the first day it was announced. Nothing wrong with the Panamera, but. . . .

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
This, I also have a Jag iPace with the same size battery as the Taycan. It will never charge faster than 50kwph and I'm sorry, but no one wants to sit at a charger for 2 hours to fill a battery when doing more than the 180 mile range it has (Claimed 300 miles range BTW, what a joke).

The Taycan charges at a theoretical 270kw which is much more like it. Although I have yet to have more than 100kwph on a charge. Is that normal?

We just need about 50% as many charging stations as there are Gas stations with 350kw charge speed and a 200 mile range is no problem at all.

My GTS charges over 100kW all the time, even at about 70% capacity, with the Electrify America 150kW chargers. We get 30min free sessions here in the US and that's more than enough for me to take a small break and move on my trip (from <20% to 90%). In fact 30min went by pretty quickly and I always felt like a rush if I don't wait inside the car.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
However, Porsche will protect its cars, especially the Taycan. You wouldn’t buy a 911 to get 50 mpg? And I’m sure range didn’t stop you ordering a Taycan.
Just to be clear, the only reason I drive a Taycan is, because there was nothing else on the market in 2019 with a large battery and solid range!

I suspect Porsche will - at a price - do a battery swap for those interested, resulting in an extra 50 bhp and longer range and maybe a go-faster stripe.
:CWL: After 2 years, they cannot fix a few simple bugs (i.e. "Lade Navigation...") in the PCM...

logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-tron GT, BMW M4
Country flag
Yeah agree with this or more light weight batteries. I think for the Cayman EV they have already stated the aim is to get the weight to approx 1700 kg. Efficiency is the key component here along with faster charging times. 800v is great at approx 20 mins from 5% - 80% but they need to keep pushing this to get it to around the time it takes to refuel with petrol/gas at around <5 mins.

Most people do not need massive range, 300 miles will be sufficient as long as charging speeds come way down.
An interesting paradox is when the range gets bigger, you don't need super fast charging.... or let me rephrase... you won't rely on the infrastructure as much. I think we are much further away from having such an infrastructure everywhere and for everyone available than we are from having a newer type of battery (lighter in the first place).

Not saying the next Taycan will have a different battery. Like others, I believe the next revision will have a lot of small incremental updates, all combined being enough of a substantial improvement.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
With retrofit.. lol

just ordered my taycan so…

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag

Hi Sushistu,

Not sure if you had been answered regarding the 100kwph limit. But there is a battery protection mechanism which limit the max. charging speed at 100, and it can be turned off. Once you do that it can reach 250kw at of one those 350kw DC chargers.
Sponsored