r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
One thing I noticed with my 4 S is the standard steering wheel rim is slightly smaller diameter than my other two cars that have the sport wheel. First world problem.
Sponsored

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
I would 100% buy this car over any Porsche with a turbocharger. I think it's better than a 992 and much much much better than a Panamera. I'd still take a NA flat six with a stick for a day around the track but I'd want to drive home in the Taycan.
I drive a Model 3 performance and love the punchiness and ease of the car but am very tempted by the 4S as it is so pretty - any thoughts on Model 3 vs Taycan - be kind LOL

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Auto start- When you get in and buckle your seat belt the car starts without having to press the start button. Okay, another party trick. But when you get out, you have to hold the start button down for a couple seconds to get the car to stop.
Nice summary for sure. To clarify on Auto Start - you do not need to hold start button when leaving. You can just exit car and lock door whether by touching button on handle or by key and car will shut down.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Nice summary for sure. To clarify on Auto Start - you do not need to hold start button when leaving. You can just exit car and lock door whether by touching button on handle or by key and car will shut down.
Great to know, thanks.

Chuck

OP
OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I drive a Model 3 performance and love the punchiness and ease of the car but am very tempted by the 4S as it is so pretty - any thoughts on Model 3 vs Taycan - be kind LOL
Well, very different cars. The Model 3 is more of a punchy small(ish) car that is designed to be economical & practical.

The Taycan 4S is a bigger, luxurious GT car. The Taycan well outclasses the Model 3 in sportiness, luxury, & ride quality, but you might miss the "zippiness" & city use of a smaller car. The Taycan is big & wide; it rarely feels so when driving but it takes up a lot of space parking & such.

You're paying twice as much for the Taycan. Is it twice the car? Absolutely. But it's not without drawbacks. Size & charging network being the big two, IMHO. Some people really like the tossable nature of smaller cars, not that the Model 3 is really *that* small.

The Taycan is a car that loves a good road trip & back road. I'm not sure you'll feel it's worth it if you're doing 98% city driving.

Last edited:

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Brakes- Speaking of brakes, I really like them as much as any car I have ever driven. It’s very hard to tell they are not friction brakes. The pedal feel is just fine, although the through might be a little longer than the 991. I got used to it fast. I wonder about keeping them rust free. We’ll see.
Its interesting to hear how other people fare with the brakes on the Taycan. Coming from a very small history of cars (Ford Focus and RR Velar), one of the most hardest things for me to get used to whilst on my test drive was the brakes. On my past cars I had a little cushion before I’d feel any brakes, but on this, even if I feathered the brakes it would slam them on and I’d be jolted forward. I know I’m comparing apples to oranges with these cars, but dang those brakes are super responsive!
My dad was with me and he has a Panamera. He said they’re similar, but Taycan’s are more powerful. The dealer also echoed his words. So maybe it’s just my inexperience with Porsche’s!

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Its interesting to hear how other people fare with the brakes on the Taycan. Coming from a very small history of cars (Ford Focus and RR Velar), one of the most hardest things for me to get used to whilst on my test drive was the brakes. On my past cars I had a little cushion before I’d feel any brakes, but on this, even if I feathered the brakes it would slam them on and I’d be jolted forward. I know I’m comparing apples to oranges with these cars, but dang those brakes are super responsive!
My dad was with me and he has a Panamera. He said they’re similar, but Taycan’s are more powerful. The dealer also echoed his words. So maybe it’s just my inexperience with Porsche’s!
Am use to Porsche ceramic brakes on multiple cars. When test driving the Taycan Turbo with ceramic brakes, I could not tell the difference (it was two days old). Later found out the electric brakes are not used for the first 200 miles to break-in the discs brakes.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
First, congratulations!!!
Second, criticism: no pics ?!? Feed the crowd...:)
Tap on the icon left side and the backup camera image is more in line with what you would expect from a camera - but the guides are gone. The sad part was that the dealer gave me a Macan today as a loaner while I had the update installed - perfect backup camera..... Talk about being envious....
Do you happen to have a pic of the perfect backup camera? Would like to understand what is so bad on mine. :)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Auto start- When you get in and buckle your seat belt the car starts without having to press the start button. Okay, another party trick. But when you get out, you have to hold the start button down for a couple seconds to get the car to stop.
I never use the button.

1. Press unlock button on key fob, get in, drive mode, go.

2 Park, get out, close the door, press lock button on the key fob.

Am I missing something?

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
What are you meaning by "feathering", exactly? A quick Google suggests jabbing them on and off repeatedly in which case... don't do that!
Haha sorry, I meant I ever so slightly applied the breaks and it would have a much bigger impact in braking. e.g. on my Velar, I have about a 10% cushion when breaking before I can even feel anything. That 10% pressure on the Taycan would bring me to an immediate stop :CWL:

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
OK I understand now :)

Ford Focus -> RR Velar -> Taycan is quite a progression, congrats

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
Well, very different cars. The Model 3 is more of a punchy small(ish) car that is designed to be economical & practical.

The Taycan is a car that loves a good road trip & back road. I'm not sure you'll feel it's worth it if you're doing 98% city driving.
That makes a lot of sense. I am having a second test drive next week, so that will help. I do have a lot of small winding lanes here so a large car is less practical but no less so than all the vans that zip around the same roads. I just think the Taycan is a stunner of a car and I never walk away from the 3 and go wow that's a sexy car, it just looks pretty dull, not awful, just a bit dull for a 3 second car!!!
Sponsored